GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

GAME DAY: Red Wings @ Sens - Tuesday, Nov 4, 7:30pm (TSN5)

+7
LeCaptain
Flo The Action
PTFlea
SeawaySensFan
Ev
NEELY
tim1_2
11 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Go down  Message [Page 9 of 11]

NEELY

Mod
Mod

I don't think I have ever seen Neil try to lay someone out when the game is on the line... he does it at some dumb points in the game but never in a position like the last 2 mins of regulation.

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

There's still options 1 and 3.

Ev

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

SpezDispensed wrote:Ev said that a while ago and I didn't buy it, but the more I see of him the more I see the potential of Raymond there.   He's got more learning to do though obviously.

Didn't buy what?

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Didn't see Hoffman being similar at the NHL level other than speed. Didn't really see the same skill, but this year Hoffman's been a different player.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Well I don't think he's going to be as good as taymomd, just his style.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I can't even guess with Hoffman. I'd say he could post some decent offensive numbers if he can continue this play.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

SpezDispensed wrote:Did anyone else cringe when Neil was on the ice with 2 minutes left?

SpezDispensed wrote:I'm worried about three things when I see that.  1. He's gonna take a bad penalty.  2.he's gonna go for a big hit and miss and create a turnover and 3.they make a change on the fly and he gets walked by datsyuk.

There are many other options on the Sens bench for that time in the game - and that's being polite.

NEELY wrote:I don't think I have ever seen Neil try to lay someone out when the game is on the line... he does it at some dumb points in the game but never in a position like the last 2 mins of regulation.

That's a bit of a sweeping statement. You could say you don't remember him ever doing that, but I'm pretty sure we've all seen him doing it. Last night he took too very stupid runs at people, missing them pretty badly and putting himself completely out of the play. Since the game ended 3-1 on an empty-netter I'm pretty sure both times he did it the game was tied or the Sens were leading by 1.

Neil is no-longer a big fighter (two reasons: fighting is down, fewer goons; and he's not in his 20s any more), so now his claim to fame is most hits in the NHL over the last X years or something to that effect. Problem is that he's lost a few steps and can no-longer catch people on a regular basis. He really should just lay back and deliver the hits when they present themselves and stop trying to take runs from 20 feet away or longer. Hell, maybe even from 10 feet.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

There was a game they were down by 1 in the last minute and I still remember Bob Cole's voice delivering the grim news: "Extra man's on .... and it's Chris Neil".

I guess that's one of the few names he actually knows.

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Never to early in the morning to Dung on Chris Neil I guess. Laugh1

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

SeawaySensFan wrote:Never to early in the morning to Dung on Chris Neil I guess. Laugh1

He's making enough dough for me to never feel sorry for him.  Keeps smilin' as he's drivin' away, too.

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

SpezDispensed wrote:Did anyone else cringe when Neil was on the ice with 2 minutes left?

Not at all. Second highest forward in +/- on our team (Hoffman is first). He's sound defensively.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

tim1_2 wrote:

Not at all.  Second highest forward in +/- on our team (Hoffman is first).  He's sound defensively.

If he is so sound defensively, surely you could answer me positively if I asked you "Does he have any short-handed TOI this year?"

EDIT: I posted that without looking it up because I did look it up a little while back.  Just double checked to make sure.  Nope.  No short-handed time.  Not even a second.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

I forget, did anyone mention anywhere that +/- is a flawed stat?

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wprager wrote:I forget, did anyone mention anywhere that +/- is a flawed stat?

WIN isn't.

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Killing a penalty and playing defense 5-on-5 are two different things.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

tim1_2 wrote:Killing a penalty and playing defense 5-on-5 are two different things.  

True, but they are similar enough that you'd rarely see Spezza doing either.  I think it's more that MacLean trusts the vets more than he does the rooks and he's rewarding them with the possibility of getting an empty netter.

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wprager wrote:
tim1_2 wrote:Killing a penalty and playing defense 5-on-5 are two different things.  

True, but they are similar enough that you'd rarely see Spezza doing either.  I think it's more that MacLean trusts the vets more than he does the rooks and he's rewarding them with the possibility of getting an empty netter.

I think you're right when you say PMac trusts the vets more...he trusts them more to play defensively sound and not make a mistake.

NEELY

Mod
Mod

Wasn't going to say it myself but thank you.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 9 of 11]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum