GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Ottawa Senators (present and past) TIDBITS & QUICK HITS!

+17
Hobiesens
Cap'n Clutch
spader
LeCaptain
SensHulk
tim1_2
TheAvatar
Oglethorpe
22_4_ever
wprager
shabbs
SeawaySensFan
Ev
Flo The Action
Hoags
NEELY
PTFlea
21 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 34 ... 67  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 67]

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

NEELY wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:
NEELY wrote:As for the Spezza comment there, yah, I think what's wrong with the team is based off of Spezza being the captain and center piece of the team.  That's why I talk about it so much because it's a huge issue.
The issue I have with that is: if guys aren't stepping up and 'contributing' to the leadership core on this team, then we have so many deep rooted issues it's not even funny.  One guy...simply cannot change the effort level of a team.  I don't buy it.
That's so wrong it isn't funny.  There are so many examples of players dragging down teams because of the commitment to that player from the organization.
Then let a new leadership core rise up. Either players on this team who aren't part of the actual leadership core step up, or they go down with the ship - if it's indeed sinking. Why would they stand by and watch in this day and age?

NEELY

Mod
Mod

Because you have to let it play out.

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Ok, while I was letting it play out, I'd be playing my Donkey off. How does that situation make the team play like they're pee wee players in the defensive zone?

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

NEELY wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:
NEELY wrote:You want to talk about their current roles?  Why all the sudden when a young player is starting to find his stride and his game keeps improving with his production that he just all the sudden hits a wall?  Might be the Dung show that is the Florida Panthers.  

Fact of the matter is Matthias was on course until this season to be a very solid NHL player and he will be where ever he is traded to.  His all around game is solid, clearly capable of scoring 20 plus goals in the NHL, big, very good skater, heady player.

Please explain to me how Flash is so much better than Matthias that it's not even debatable... would love to hear it.  Is Flash more physical?  Nope.  Better defensively?  Nope.  More offense?  Little bit yah but Matthias also has the potential to be better there too if not for the fact they want him to be a shut down center and that's it... with no linemates that resemble NHL players.

Who else was it that needed out after being pigeon holed in a Southern market where people (including yourself) flipped out and said he was no good when he was traded?  Just curios.
By your own admission 4 years is a long time in the hockey world.  Turris was 22 at the time, Matthias is 25.  Would I be mad if we acquired Matthias?  No, go for it.  It's worth a try to get players in here that have a chance to better us.  Might as well try him with Smith on the third line.  Is he the answer to what ails us?  Not IMO.  We need a guy who has scored goals in the NHL and knows his role on a team.  Fleish is a player who can create plays offensively and can finish when the opportunity arises.  I don't want another guy with potential right now, we have a lot of guys with potential, I want someone who can put the puck in the net so we have some semblance of a second line.

There was a period there where Fleish's production diminished, I see it, you see, everyone can see, but it has a lot to do with a horrific scare he got dealing with a blood clot on his lung and one in his leg too.  The first one, he took thinners and made it back quickly, the second one on his lung, he missed ~60 games:

"On Thursday, the Colorado Avalanche realized that Tomas Fleischmann has a blood clot in his lung, which will prematurely conclude his season. The left winger suffered from a shortness of breath, and the club's physician states that Fleischmann will be on blood thinners for a number of months and will not be allowed to play hockey.  

It is an awful turn of events for a player who was earning praise after being acquired from the Washington Capitals in November. Fleischmann compiled 21 points in 22 games, developing incredible chemistry with Matt Duchene on the top line and becoming a primary offensive contributor.  

The Czech native also contracted a blood clot in his leg last year, causing him to miss the opening 10 games of the campaign. Obviously, this is more serious than the everyday injuries that are frequently seen and we can only hope Fleischmann recovers as quickly as possible."

http://www.sbnation.com/nhl/2011/1/20/1947401/tomas-fleischmann-blood-clot-out-for-season-avalanche-nhl
Put it this way, I would be weary of any player putting up decent #'s on an awful team because there is no one to go to besides a select few.  A guy who is a particular type of player struggling on an awful team isn't an awful player.  Matthias is a power forward and this is the exact age (around it) that they break out.  Last year he was on the verge of it then what happened?  Just decided he wasn't going to play hard or work?  He's played hard but things are not working out for him right now.  Simple is that.

I would say Matthias is a better player than Fleishmann at this point especially on a decent team.  
You can't really follow Fleish around and say that every time he had success it's been on a bad team, at some point you have to give him the credit he deserves as being a very serviceable top six forward. I'm not talking a guy we acquire and build the team around, I'm talking about a few year stop gap while our young guys transition into the players we hope they'll be.

NEELY

Mod
Mod

Apparently the Sens are talking to the Sharks about Havlat... that's a band-aid solution... pun intended.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

NEELY wrote:Apparently the Sens are talking to the Sharks about Havlat... that's a band-aid solution... pun intended.
Who said that? Is it legit?

I wouldn't mind Havlat, but it surprises me that we'd take on the extra year of the contract @ 5 million. Michalek going the other way I would assume.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

If we traded Havlat for Wiercioch, the circle would be complete...Ahhhhh! 

Hoags

Hoags
All-Star
All-Star

Havlat would get injured picking up the phone from Murray after the trade.

We need a solid D who can babysit Cowen the rest of the year.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Havlat... really?Facepalm we are knee deep in Dung if this is the results we're getting from trades.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Would love Havlat to be honest

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Ev wrote:Would love Havlat to be honest
Havlat would love to have you as well, old friend.

NEELY

Mod
Mod

I mean, could you get 2 or 3 good years out of Havlat?  Man I dunno... there's are better options but for sure there are worse.  Hemsky vs Havlat?  Probably go with Havlat to be honest, pretty decent stop gap for a year and 1/2 min.  Might get Michalek going too as they are extremely tight.

Also, can't see the Sens taking on that salary as is, San Jose would for sure need to hold onto 30-40% of the salary and cap hit. It would clear things up for them going into next year though. I can't think of any other player going back there besides Greening though, no idea what San Jose would want.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Game Day!

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Revenge game. Especially on mason.

NEELY

Mod
Mod

Sens are gonna get hammered tonight.

Tonight the see the rock at the bottom and tomorrow they hit it.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Back to back wins coming up then!

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

NEELY wrote:I mean, could you get 2 or 3 good years out of Havlat?  Man I dunno... there's are better options but for sure there are worse.  Hemsky vs Havlat?  Probably go with Havlat to be honest, pretty decent stop gap for a year and 1/2 min.  Might get Michalek going too as they are extremely tight.

Also, can't see the Sens taking on that salary as is, San Jose would for sure need to hold onto 30-40% of the salary and cap hit.  It would clear things up for them going into next year though.  I can't think of any other player going back there besides Greening though, no idea what San Jose would want.  
Havlat over Hemsky 10 times out of 10 for me. The way I see it, neither would cost you much in assets and if I were GM, it would come down to who's team would hold the most salary.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Want a weird-Donkey stat? The only Sens defenseman with a negative +/- rating right now is ... (drum roll) ... Methot. Gryba is +6 and Cowen is next at +3, then Karlsson at +2; Corvo and Wiercioch are +1 and then you have Big Rig and Boro Cop even.

Did someone hack the NHL.com's stats database? That can't be, can it?

Maybe the big problem this season has once again been special teams?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 67]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 34 ... 67  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum