GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

NHL Free Agent Frenzy 2013 - Melnyk's Budget Edition

+16
M_Christopher
Oglethorpe
tim1_2
spader
sandysensfan
Flo The Action
SensHulk
DirtyDave
LeCaptain
NEELY
rooneypoo
wprager
SeawaySensFan
PTFlea
Hoags
Ev
20 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 29 ... 57  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 57]

Hoags

All-Star
All-Star

wprager wrote:
It's not nickel and dime.  The seven Canadian teams have a significant disadvantage in terms of income taxes.  In addition teams like Ottawa, Edmonton, Winnipeg, Calgary don't have the same WAF as Toronto, Vancouver, Montreal.  We are always going to be paying way more for UFAs.  

Melnyk takes a loss if he spends to the cap and we do not go deep into the playoffs.  Most teams do. I can't blame him for keeping the team on a budget.

After for spending to the cap for years and being a first round exit at best he is probably very reluctant to do so again until he feels really good about the team.  If the Sens look that poised to challenge for the Cup I imagine they will have sold out all their season tickets and ticket prices will be higher for what is no longer a "rebuilding team".

This is a reality for all teams except the few big markets who can spend at will.

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

There's only one way you can give yourself a chance to go deep into the playoffs - acquire players like Dan Boyle and Danny Briere and let them mesh.

Hoags

All-Star
All-Star

SpezDispenser wrote:There's only one way you can give yourself a chance to go deep into the playoffs - acquire players like Dan Boyle and Danny Briere and let them mesh.

But not at the expense of prospects we are trying to develop.

Boyle makes sense short term behind Karlsson, but which forward do you move out for Briere ?

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

wprager wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:Speaking of budget. Garrioch says Senators are interested in Boyle as long as the Sharks pick up part of the tab.

Oh for heaven's sake.  Just pay the guy, he's amazing.  I hate this nickel and dime Dung.  

It's not nickel and dime.  The seven Canadian teams have a significant disadvantage in terms of income taxes.  In addition teams like Ottawa, Edmonton, Winnipeg, Calgary don't have the same WAF as Toronto, Vancouver, Montreal.  We are always going to be paying way more for UFAs.  

What does income tax have to do with OTT wanting SJ to retain some of Boyle's salary in the event of a trade?

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

SeawaySensFan wrote:Speaking of budget. Garrioch says Senators are interested in Boyle as long as the Sharks pick up part of the tab.

Garrioch says we're kicking tires on Edler and Boyle, for what it's worth.

http://www.ottawasun.com/2013/07/02/today-could-really-be-the-end-of-the-coyotes-in-phoenix

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Hoags wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:There's only one way you can give yourself a chance to go deep into the playoffs - acquire players like Dan Boyle and Danny Briere and let them mesh.

But not at the expense of prospects we are trying to develop.

Boyle makes sense short term behind Karlsson, but which forward do you move out for Briere ?

Funnily enough, you have a point. There's no room for another forward without making a transaction.

Briere - Spezza - Michalek

Zibanejad - Turris - Alfie

Silfverberg - Pageau - Greening

Conacher - Smith - Condra/Neil

Methot - Karlsson
Cowen - Boyle
Phillips - Gryba
Wiercioch

Hoags

Hoags
All-Star
All-Star

rooneypoo wrote:
http://www.ottawasun.com/2013/07/02/today-could-really-be-the-end-of-the-coyotes-in-phoenix

Edler's NTC kicked on July 1st so he'd have to waive to agree to be moved anywhere. Knowing Gillis he probably wants an overpayment considering how much he wanted for Luongo and his ugly contract.

NEELY

Mod
Mod

Ottawa can safely move next year's 1st if they want to make a big splash through trade or anything else. If they want Boyle then that's what it will cost for sure, maybe not much more than that but a 1st rounder none the less.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I guess with that roster ^, you wait for the inevitable injuries and then you promote the 13th into the lineup.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

That is a beautiful lineup IMO. Nice combo of skill and a pounding bottom six - some of the guys who can move up and down the lineup if we need more muscle at any point. I'm certainly not saying that's a Cup winning lineup, we need our prospects to mature a bit more + another splash at some point, but it's a very, very competitive team.

Hoags

Hoags
All-Star
All-Star

SpezDispenser wrote:

Funnily enough, you have a point.  There's no room for another forward without making a transaction.

Methot - Karlsson
Cowen - Boyle
Phillips - Gryba
Wiercioch

You also forgot Kassian who has 1 year left as well.

There is no way they can add Briere without trading 1 or 2 forwards. Garrioch says he expects Greening will be signed to an extension as well.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Hoags wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:

Funnily enough, you have a point.  There's no room for another forward without making a transaction.

Methot - Karlsson
Cowen - Boyle
Phillips - Gryba
Wiercioch

There is no way they can add Briere without trading 1 or 2 forwards.  Garrioch says he expects Greening will be signed to an extension as well.

Not true, there will always be healthy scratches.

and don't say I didn't tell you so but Alfredsson may not even be on the Sens

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

Ev wrote:
Hoags wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:

Methot - Karlsson
Cowen - Boyle
Phillips - Gryba
Wiercioch

There is no way they can add Briere without trading 1 or 2 forwards.  Garrioch says he expects Greening will be signed to an extension as well.

I thought he was going to retire? Sarcasm 

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Oh puh-leeze!

DirtyDave

Rookie
Rookie

Hal Gill
Kris Russell
Jeff Schultz

All on waivers. What are people's thoughts? Especially regarding the latter two.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Ev wrote:
Hoags wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:

Methot - Karlsson
Cowen - Boyle
Phillips - Gryba
Wiercioch

Alfredsson is a formality at this point. Just a matter of when he signs, for how long. $$$ not really an object (they'll make his salary back in goodwill and jersey/seat sales).

There will be moves. In addition to the players already mentioned, there are rookies who will be pushing for spots as well. Anyone going to the DC? It starts tomorrow and on-ice practices are open to the public.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

DirtyDave wrote:Hal Gill
Kris Russell
Jeff Schultz

All on waivers. What are people's thoughts? Especially regarding the latter two.

All three are lefties. We have Borowiecki if we need a lefty.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

i'd pick up Zanon for his beard alone

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 57]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 29 ... 57  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum