GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

NHL Free Agent Frenzy 2013 - Melnyk's Budget Edition

+16
M_Christopher
Oglethorpe
tim1_2
spader
sandysensfan
Flo The Action
SensHulk
DirtyDave
LeCaptain
NEELY
rooneypoo
wprager
SeawaySensFan
PTFlea
Hoags
Ev
20 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 29 ... 57  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 57]

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

discuss

Hoags

Hoags
All-Star
All-Star

Not much to discuss beyond Alfie IMO. The only player I would have thrown money at was Perry and he never made it to market.
We're better off making a trade for a top-6 or top-4 D if there's one available and the price is right.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Hoags wrote:Not much to discuss beyond Alfie IMO.  The only player I would have thrown money at was Perry and he never made it to market.
We're better off making a trade for a top-6 or top-4 D if there's one available and the price is right.

The whole league not just the Sens.

Also Briere will make a short list soon, which should include Ottawa, NYI, Washington, Pittsburgh, NJ, and maybe NYR.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

whoops wrong location i guess (Sens board)

Hoags

Hoags
All-Star
All-Star

Ev wrote:

The whole league not just the Sens.

Also Briere will make a short list soon, which should include Ottawa, NYI, Washington, Pittsburgh, NJ, and maybe NYR.

Briere would be a good addition at the price.

We'd need to make a trade as I believe we already have 14 forwards.  Trading for one of Nashville's is a good idea that I saw mentioned earlier.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

This'll be interesting to watch.

I'll make some semi-bold predictions:

Lecavallier - Florida or Nashville
Iginla - LA
Briere - Ottawa or NJ or NYI
Elias - NJ
Bryzgalov - Edmonton
Ribiero - Florida or Washington
Thomas - Philly
Jagr - ?? NYI or Ottawa
Roy - ??
Horton - Edmonton
Clarkson - Toronto
Clowe - Edmonton
Ryder - Ottawa or Colorado
Dupuis - Ottawa or Pittsburgh or NYI

Dung...no idea. Laugh1  This was a lot harder than I thought it would be

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Speaking of budget. Garrioch says Senators are interested in Boyle as long as the Sharks pick up part of the tab.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

SeawaySensFan wrote:Speaking of budget. Garrioch says Senators are interested in Boyle as long as the Sharks pick up part of the tab.

Oh for heaven's sake. Just pay the guy, he's amazing. I hate this nickel and dime Dung.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

SpezDispenser wrote:This'll be interesting to watch.  

Iginla - LA
Elias - NJ
Bryzgalov - Edmonton
Thomas - Philly
Jagr - ?? NYI or Ottawa
Roy - ??
Horton - Edmonton
Clarkson - Toronto
Clowe - Edmonton

Dung...no idea.  Laugh1  This was a lot harder than I thought it would be

Sorry, but why would Bryzgalov go anywhere but the KHL? And why would Horton go to Edmonton -- to play on their third line?

Also, let's not forget about Miller. He just sold his house in Buffalo.

Hoags

Hoags
All-Star
All-Star

SeawaySensFan wrote:Speaking of budget. Garrioch says Senators are interested in Boyle as long as the Sharks pick up part of the tab.

Boyle makes sense and getting the other team to pick up part of the tab is how we can acquire some of these big salaried players.

However I can't see why the Sharks would trade Boyle, they have no one to replace him and they are trying to make a big playoff push. You don't trade your best D-man at such time.

Not to mention, he doesn't want to leave.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

SpezDispenser wrote:

Oh for heaven's sake.  Just pay the guy, he's amazing.  I hate this nickel and dime Dung.  

It's not nickel and dime. The seven Canadian teams have a significant disadvantage in terms of income taxes. In addition teams like Ottawa, Edmonton, Winnipeg, Calgary don't have the same WAF as Toronto, Vancouver, Montreal. We are always going to be paying way more for UFAs.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

wprager wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:This'll be interesting to watch.  

Iginla - LA
Elias - NJ
Bryzgalov - Edmonton
Thomas - Philly
Jagr - ?? NYI or Ottawa
Roy - ??
Horton - Edmonton
Clarkson - Toronto
Clowe - Edmonton

Dung...no idea.  Laugh1  This was a lot harder than I thought it would be

Sorry, but why would Bryzgalov go anywhere but the KHL?  And why would Horton go to Edmonton -- to play on their third line?  

Also, let's not forget about Miller.  He just sold his house in Buffalo.

No idea, these are guesses. If I was to rationalize them, I'd say Edmonton needs a goalie they can lean on to push Dubnyk and I'd also say that they're gonna back up the Brinks truck to Horton and Clowe because they need some grit and size in their top six.

Hoags

Hoags
All-Star
All-Star

wprager wrote:
It's not nickel and dime.  The seven Canadian teams have a significant disadvantage in terms of income taxes.  In addition teams like Ottawa, Edmonton, Winnipeg, Calgary don't have the same WAF as Toronto, Vancouver, Montreal.  We are always going to be paying way more for UFAs.  

Melnyk takes a loss if he spends to the cap and we do not go deep into the playoffs.  Most teams do. I can't blame him for keeping the team on a budget.

After for spending to the cap for years and being a first round exit at best he is probably very reluctant to do so again until he feels really good about the team.  If the Sens look that poised to challenge for the Cup I imagine they will have sold out all their season tickets and ticket prices will be higher for what is no longer a "rebuilding team".

This is a reality for all teams except the few big markets who can spend at will.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

There's only one way you can give yourself a chance to go deep into the playoffs - acquire players like Dan Boyle and Danny Briere and let them mesh.

Hoags

Hoags
All-Star
All-Star

SpezDispenser wrote:There's only one way you can give yourself a chance to go deep into the playoffs - acquire players like Dan Boyle and Danny Briere and let them mesh.

But not at the expense of prospects we are trying to develop.

Boyle makes sense short term behind Karlsson, but which forward do you move out for Briere ?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 57]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 29 ... 57  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum