GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

2013 NHL Draft Thread

+8
PTFlea
SeawaySensFan
Hoags
wprager
tim1_2
NEELY
LeCaptain
Ev
12 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Go down  Message [Page 6 of 6]

762013 NHL Draft Thread - Page 6 Empty Re: 2013 NHL Draft Thread Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:17 am

tim1_2

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Yep...they even gave Gryba a 60-something number, so as to make us think Karlsson was still out there.

772013 NHL Draft Thread - Page 6 Empty Re: 2013 NHL Draft Thread Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:08 am

LeCaptain

All-Star
All-Star

wprager wrote:
LeKing wrote:
Ev wrote:but you know they're going to pick Monahan regardless...Dung

If it's a top 3 pick, not a chance.

First, I doubt we're dropping that low unless Anderson gets traded. Too many other teams really struggling, and most of them haven't been hit with significant injuries.

Monahan wouldn't be a bad choice, but I'd prefer someone more NHL-ready Although he is nearly a year younger, Barkov has been playing in a pro men's league and I'd read how he may be the most NHL ready in the draft. Hyperbole, perhaps, but you cant argue with facts: same height, but a about 30 lbs heavier -- I like that. And despite his last name, he plays for Finland (holds dual citizenship but played for Finland in international competitions). Recall that Finland has the hybrid ice -- wider than NHL but not as wide as the international ice in the SEL. Perhaps the level of competition he plays against is why he is ranked lower. He's also said to be below-average in skating. Well, a 17-year old tipping the scales at 205 may mean his muscles haven't caught up to his size, yet. He'll have another year of growing into his body.

He's awesome, but size is not a factor to me. Just get the most skilled and best skating guy.

782013 NHL Draft Thread - Page 6 Empty Re: 2013 NHL Draft Thread Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:09 am

LeCaptain

All-Star
All-Star

wprager wrote:
Hoags wrote:
spader wrote:
Ceci?

Ceci is probably a year or two away at least.

The job is Gryba's to lose at this point.

Cowen skipped the AHL, except for the playoffs. And that's with missing a year of his development due to injury. Why do you think Ceci would need "at least a year or two"? We've had the likes of Phillips and Borowiecki playing their wrong-side; how ludicrous is it to assume that Ceic, playing his right side, wouldn't do any worse? Don't forget we'll have only Karlsson and Gryba on the right, and that is assuming Gryba sticks around (1 game is not enough to convince me).

Getting the best fit on the right side should not be the focus. It should be to get the best out of Ceci for the rest of his career.

792013 NHL Draft Thread - Page 6 Empty Re: 2013 NHL Draft Thread Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:46 am

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Hoags wrote:
spader wrote:
Ceci?

Ceci is probably a year or two away at least.

The job is Gryba's to lose at this point.

At least a year in the AHL where he's a callup I would imagine.

Agreed, we need a sick skilled forward, Drouin's the dream scenario I guess.

802013 NHL Draft Thread - Page 6 Empty Re: 2013 NHL Draft Thread Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:40 pm

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

Looks like the lottery will stay the same for this year.

812013 NHL Draft Thread - Page 6 Empty Re: 2013 NHL Draft Thread Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:43 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

tim1_2 wrote:
wprager wrote:
LeKing wrote:
Ev wrote:but you know they're going to pick Monahan regardless...Dung

If it's a top 3 pick, not a chance.

First, I doubt we're dropping that low unless Anderson gets traded. Too many other teams really struggling, and most of them haven't been hit with significant injuries.

Y'know we haven't scored a goal since Karlsson went down, right? We're going to need Matrix to start racking up shutouts.

Y'know, it's been 4 periods and we hit the post at least once.

822013 NHL Draft Thread - Page 6 Empty Re: 2013 NHL Draft Thread Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:07 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

LeKing wrote:

He's awesome, but size is not a factor to me. Just get the most skilled and best skating guy.

"most skilled" is usually not enough. Same with skating (which is just one skill, really). If their skill is enough to get them to the 1st round it's usually enough to make it not the most important factor. Hockey IQ, determination, leadership qualities, character -- and as they usually say, you can't teach size.

832013 NHL Draft Thread - Page 6 Empty Re: 2013 NHL Draft Thread Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:31 pm

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

Crosby, Skinner, Tavares, Stamkos, Parise etc are all at or under 6'. Size does not matter, unless you are under 5'8. Strength does. McKinnon and Drouin are 5'11. They have all the things you are mentionning, plus are better skating and I would say better puck handling. We don't play like the Bruins, we play like the Red Wings, and what we need is players like Datsyuk, not players like Lucic.

842013 NHL Draft Thread - Page 6 Empty Re: 2013 NHL Draft Thread Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:04 pm

NEELY

Mod
Mod

5'10, 5'11 is about the perfect size for an NHL offensive forward.

852013 NHL Draft Thread - Page 6 Empty Re: 2013 NHL Draft Thread Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:17 am

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

MotherofGod

862013 NHL Draft Thread - Page 6 Empty Re: 2013 NHL Draft Thread Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:39 am

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

LeKing wrote:

MotherofGod
I know, it's silly. But no way would he be able to do that against an NHL team. still it's impressive. the kid wants it.

872013 NHL Draft Thread - Page 6 Empty Re: 2013 NHL Draft Thread Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:04 pm

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

It's not really the dangles that impress me, it's the determination, the confidence, and that guy who was checking him and fell down on his Donkey while being way bigger

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 6 of 6]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum