GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Random household issues -- questions asked and answered here

+19
Hobiesens
spader
Hoags
Flo The Action
DirtyDave
LeCaptain
dennycrane
PTFlea
rooneypoo
SensHulk
Ev
Cap'n Clutch
Number Twenty Nine
Vandelay
shabbs
NEELY
SeawaySensFan
tim1_2
wprager
23 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 22 ... 40, 41, 42, 43, 44  Next

Go down  Message [Page 41 of 44]

Ev

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

25mpbs is way too slow IMO. I want cable so I'll probably go with Rogers

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

I've got both cable and FTTH in the new place so I have options.

Don't believe there $50 quotes. That's what they were peddling at Costco (Primus, I think) but when all was said and done for unlimited at the rate I was then getting with Rogers came out to $72. That's with the modem rental. Now, at that point they weren't sure if I had FFTH so the deal was based on reselling Rogers access. Not sure what it would have been with Bell's FTTH, but probably a little more for 300Mbps service.

Not quite ready to cut the cord yet. Still looking at the best possible solution for OTA recording. Once that's in place (and when the 2 years with Bell are up) I'll get the $50 unlimited (whatever it happens to be at the time).

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

And, yes, 25 is not enough unless you are alone in the house. HD streaming takes, what, 4 for HD and 8-10 for 4k? Couple people streaming stuff, someone playing online, fire up the laptop for some web surfing and it's suddenly real slow.

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Hilarious to hear people tell me 25Mbps is way too slow. Too slow for what exactly? I've had four people in my house streaming Netflix at the same time without a hiccup. Unless you're regularly transferring massive files (5GB+) that need to be done really quick for some reason, 25Mbps is plenty.

But whatever, continue to overpay for whatever service you have.

If you want cable, you don't go with Rogers. You go with TekSavvy or Carrytel and get the exact same service for cheaper. I'm not sure why people can't comprehend this.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

tim1_2 wrote:Hilarious to hear people tell me 25Mbps is way too slow.  Too slow for what exactly?  I've had four people in my house streaming Netflix at the same time without a hiccup.  Unless you're regularly transferring massive files (5GB+) that need to be done really quick for some reason, 25Mbps is plenty.

But whatever, continue to overpay for whatever service you have.

If you want cable, you don't go with Rogers.  You go with TekSavvy or Carrytel and get the exact same service for cheaper.  I'm not sure why people can't comprehend this.

IMO it's too slow if you're a gamer who downloads games, too slow if your modem is far away from where you are, etc. Once you get higher speeds you won't want to go back, so if you're OK with yours then be happy and don't change it Smile

What do you mean TekSavvy or Carrytel for cable? They don't have TV. Maybe that's the confusion here, I meant I want TV.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Tim, how many people are in your household? I've got 4 with phones/laptops. They all stream Netflix, play online, download stuff and do regular surfing. Same for me. My wife watches TV with me but beside that doesn't really add much to the load.

TekSavvy resells Rogers internet access. They do not offer cable TV. I am not quite ready yet to cut the cord.

I am not sure why people cannot comprehend this.

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Ev, sorry, I thought you meant cable internet, not cable TV. Also, I am a gamer and download plenty of games. I guess I'm just used to them taking a couple hours to download.

Walter, there's four people in my house, and we've all streamed Netflix concurrently in HD with zero slowdown or issue.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Are you paying $13.99 pretty month for Netflix? If you aren't, then you're not streaming 4 HD shows simultaneously.

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wprager wrote:Are you paying $13.99 pretty month for Netflix? If you aren't, then you're not streaming 4 HD shows simultaneously.

You'd think I'd probably know what I'm doing...yes, we pay extra to be able to have more concurrent streams.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Next question is what devices are you using for streaming? Chromecast, Roku, Android TV box, etc.

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Roku, Roku, PC, PC

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Rokus will stream Netflix in HD, not so sure about the PCs.

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wprager wrote:Rokus will stream Netflix in HD, not so sure about the PCs.

WTF? Of course a PC will stream in HD.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

tim1_2 wrote:

WTF?  Of course a PC will stream in HD.  

Netflix streaming on Chrome, for example, will only do 720p.

Bottom line, if you are streaming 4 HD shows you need 20Mbps. A 25Mbps service may not be enough even for just the streams, let alone having anything left for browsing.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Also Netflix will adapt based on conditions. I'm sure you've seen cases where your HD stream suddenly looks very SD, before returning to HD. Or when a show first starts off the PQ is nowhere near HD, then improves over the first 10-20 seconds.

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wprager wrote:
tim1_2 wrote:

WTF?  Of course a PC will stream in HD.  

Netflix streaming on Chrome, for example, will only do 720p.

Bottom line, if you are streaming 4 HD shows you need 20Mbps. A 25Mbps service may not be enough even for just the streams, let alone having anything left for browsing.

25Mpbs > 20Mpbs.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Yes, but 25 usually does not equal 25.

With Rogers I had (advertised) 17M. I typically measured around 14. And at certain times of the day even less.

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wprager wrote:Yes, but 25 usually does not equal 25.

With Rogers I had (advertised) 17M. I typically measured around 14.  And at certain times of the day even less.

I'm not sure why you would settle for that...I get what I pay for + more.

Random household issues -- questions asked and answered here - Page 41 Captur10

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 41 of 44]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 22 ... 40, 41, 42, 43, 44  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum