GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Random household issues -- questions asked and answered here

+19
Hobiesens
spader
Hoags
Flo The Action
DirtyDave
LeCaptain
dennycrane
PTFlea
rooneypoo
SensHulk
Ev
Cap'n Clutch
Number Twenty Nine
Vandelay
shabbs
NEELY
SeawaySensFan
tim1_2
wprager
23 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 22 ... 41, 42, 43, 44  Next

Go down  Message [Page 42 of 44]

tim1_2

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wprager wrote:
tim1_2 wrote:
wprager wrote:Rokus will stream Netflix in HD, not so sure about the PCs.

WTF?  Of course a PC will stream in HD.  

Netflix streaming on Chrome, for example, will only do 720p.

Bottom line, if you are streaming 4 HD shows you need 20Mbps. A 25Mbps service may not be enough even for just the streams, let alone having anything left for browsing.

25Mpbs > 20Mpbs.

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

Yes, but 25 usually does not equal 25.

With Rogers I had (advertised) 17M. I typically measured around 14. And at certain times of the day even less.

tim1_2

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wprager wrote:Yes, but 25 usually does not equal 25.

With Rogers I had (advertised) 17M. I typically measured around 14.  And at certain times of the day even less.

I'm not sure why you would settle for that...I get what I pay for + more.

Random household issues -- questions asked and answered here - Page 42 Captur10

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Hope you don't play online with that latency.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

By the way, those wifi "pods" are crap. I tested my speed on the main level and was surprised that it was only around 30 (points were fantastic though, between 5 and 8).

Then I noticed that the installer placed two of them on the main floor - one in the family room and another in the dining room adjacent to it. Pulled them both out and the speed zoomed up to 180.

I had already unplugged the one in the bedroom before. But I was wondering if, without any on the main floor the access upstairs would be poor; maybe I should plug one of them back in.

Instead I decided to unplug all of them - there was one more in the upstairs hallway. With all the pods gone I'm still getting in the mid-to-late high 30s upstairs. Should be good enough. Safe in the basement (I think what the last installer did was put the modem into bridge mode and run a separate router on the main floor, using the phone outlet as a drop to plug into.

I wonder also if the reception at the PVR (bedroom) will improve with the pods removed. It's been pretty bad. Luckily we mostly use Netflix and Crave, because watching live TV or PVR we get 4-5 loss of signal events in an hour long show.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Random household issues -- questions asked and answered here - Page 42 Screen10

This is upstairs. Look at that ping time!

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wprager wrote:Hope you don't play online with that latency.

I dunno what was up with that. That was done through the Google speed test. When I use the app on my phone, I get a ping of 18ms.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

3ms! That's unreal. I was getting 30 with Rogers. Kids are always so quick to complain but since the change I haven't heard one of them mention how much better it is now.

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wprager wrote:3ms! That's unreal. I was getting 30 with Rogers. Kids are always so quick to complain but since the change I haven't heard one of them mention how much better it is now.

Keep in mind I think the Speedtest app uses a server in Ottawa, so it's very close. Most online gaming servers are in Toronto at the closest, but usually scattered throughout the States.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

With the pods removed it feels like the situation is a little better. There was still one drop out on a recorded show, but just one drop out in an hour long show is much better than before. Also, since it wasn't live I don't know for a fact it was a connection issue.

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

Can anyone recommend a good keyless entry lock set that can hold up in the winter, ie: still works in the extreme cold without battery failure?

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Are you talking about a front door lock? Never used one, but if I was looking for one I'd check out the reviews on Amazon.com (not .ca, too few reviews).

Last edited by wprager on Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:12 am; edited 1 time in total

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

So I’m using a VPN now at home. There’s no reason I can’t buy centre ice or nhl TV as it’s now called right? I’ll be able to watch all the sens games right?
Does anyone remember how much last season cost? I’m looking for a ballpark figure.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

It used to be in the $200 range, but probably up above that now.  I couldn't get an actual price but "early bird" right now here's you $20 off signing up through Rogers.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wprager wrote:It used to be in the $200 range, but probably up above that now.  I couldn't get an actual price but "early bird" right now here's you $20 off signing up through Rogers.

Im not gonna get cable. I want to get it straight through the Internet.

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

I believe the flaming pile of Dung is now called Rogers NHL Live in Canada. I believe you need a Rogers account to order it, but obviously don't need any other Rogers services.

Being a Rogers property, it is complete and utter Dung and their webpage doesn't even have clear instructions on how to subscribe or how much it costs.

https://secure.nhllive.rogers.com/pricing?ro=true&lang=en

What a Cussing embarassment.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Random household issues -- questions asked and answered here - Page 42 Tenor

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Just been reading up on Rogers NHL Live/SportsNet Now etc: https://nhllive.rogers.com/en/support-faqs

Last year it was $200, or $180 early-bird, or $30/month.  I'm assuming it will be around the same this year.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 42 of 44]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 22 ... 41, 42, 43, 44  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum