GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Random household issues -- questions asked and answered here

+19
Hobiesens
spader
Hoags
Flo The Action
DirtyDave
LeCaptain
dennycrane
PTFlea
rooneypoo
SensHulk
Ev
Cap'n Clutch
Number Twenty Nine
Vandelay
shabbs
NEELY
SeawaySensFan
tim1_2
wprager
23 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 21 ... 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44  Next

Go down  Message [Page 40 of 44]

22_4_ever

Sophomore
Sophomore

tim1_2 wrote:Prags, one of your wireless transmitters should be on the main floor of your house.  My wifi used to be bad on my 2nd floor, and then I put a wireless access point on my main floor, hardwired to my main router in the basement, and all my problems went away.

I live not far from Prager...and I've learned several things

The modem doesn't have to go in the basement...they can run a separate line out of any phone outlet in your house to put the modem on. Also call customer support and request Parabonding. Essentially every phone wire has wires that allows for up to 4 different phone lines in your house. Bell won't install more than 2, but you can still broadcast on the other 2. What is done, is they use the para bonding to use one of those sets to be dedicated for the tv signal...

With Bell Fibe when you purchase the product you're buying bandwidth...however what you need to know is there is a cap for what is possible on the line. When you have phone, tv and then put internet on top of that, and you're using multiple devices, ie tv's streaming netflix, or gaming systems, or phones/tablets browsing. they are all taking bandwidth.

Bell won't tell you this, but any technician will, that when you purchase a 50 Mb line, 10 Mb is right off the bat dedicated for TV...so that means you're getting max 40 Mb for internet. Now that 40 Mb is measured at the demarcation point, which is where the fibre optic cable runs to (at best). From there is standard copper wire to your house, so you lose signal.

There is an existing issue with Bell where the line bandwidth from the phone and tv is enough that when the bandwidth you're pulling down for the other devices gets above 40 Mb that it causes too much noise and as a result you'll lose connection...We were losing connection anywhere from 3-5 times a night...during the day it was fine but once 4pm came and the kids were home, or I was working from home it became unusable.

We didn't notice this until we jacked up our bandwidth to the 50Mb line. When the technician changed the cap to 40Mb, we'd be fine, but bell would put it back up as we paid for 50 and the issue started again.

They installed para bonding and that split the internet off from the phone/tv and while the total bandwidth is now the same, the throughput on a single line is low enough to keep the noise from happening and thus the connection from being dropped.

Now all that is separate from your issue. We use hydro adapters. Essentially is transmits the signal along the household wiring in the house. You plug the router into the box plugged into a wall socket, and then a second box in whatever room you want. You then run a cable from that box to the device. We have our Tv's, play stations, computers, anything that can be hardwired into these boxes. The bandwidth we see is the same as if the box was plugged directly into the router itself.

I also set up a 2ghz connection and a 5ghz connection but use different id's for them so my wife and I are on the 5 Ghz connection with our laptops and all other devices split the 2 ghz connection. You'll notice if you search for active networks there are likely 10-20 2ghz connections in your area, and while the signal for you're will be strong it's still competing with all the noise in the area from the other ones.

Consider it a conversation you're having at a bar...while the person you're talking to is in front of you and the loudest, there's still all the other noise that makes it difficult to hear at times. Same with wireless devices.

So I call BS on having to have the router in the basement. it's more work for the guy to put it up stairs, but it's his fricken job.

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

tim1_2 wrote:Prags, one of your wireless transmitters should be on the main floor of your house.  My wifi used to be bad on my 2nd floor, and then I put a wireless access point on my main floor, hardwired to my main router in the basement, and all my problems went away.

They supplied my with 4 wifi extenders they call pods. He placed on tight in the bedroom near the upstairs tv, another on the main floor, near the kitchen. Not sure where the other two were (haven't taken the time to look yet).

I already said how removing the one in the bedroom doubled my download speed from 14 to 30. But after I swapped the PVR and secondary box and was having signal issues upstairs (not wifi) I plugged it back in. Didn't think it has anything to do with it but I didn't want to take chances.

Anyhow, wifi reception is not the issue. The signal used by the boxes for the video feeds did not use the same frequencies.

I'll see tonight if the replacement PVR makes any difference (doubt it). If not, they'll have to send another tech out.

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

@22_4_ever I didn't read your full post yet but it sounds like your talking about DSL. I actually have FTTH so they need to run the fiber link to the modem. To place the modem on the main floor he would need to run an extension fiber link upstairs. And we *just* finished the basement.

22_4_ever

22_4_ever
Sophomore
Sophomore

wprager wrote:@22_4_ever I didn't read your full post yet but it sounds like your talking about DSL. I actually have FTTH so they need to run the fiber link to the modem. To place the modem on the main floor he would need to run an extension fiber link upstairs. And we *just* finished the basement.  

Unless you moved I literally live less than 500 metres from you...weired FTTH isn't available at my place, but then again I've had issues with Bell for 2 years until we got this setup working so....

I'd still look at the powerline range extenders...

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/category/range-extenders-powerline-networking/32220.aspx

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

I moved last May 4.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

When the Bell guy left I gathered up all the Rogers equipment to return it. There was one piece of gear that had fibre going into it with to coax outputs. I don't recall if the coax were connected to anything but as I was moving things around the box fell out of the little cabinet where all the cables were going into and the fiber connector broke off. Since I was still getting internet and TV and phone, and because this decide had coax out, I assumed it was from Rogers, so I brought it, along with the rest of their hear to return. Guy behind the counter says he had no idea what the thing was. So now I'm guessing this was the original Bell equipment (maybe the coax out drive some POTS equipment for a basic and line, and when Rogers initially installed their home phone they rewired it).

If I get another Bell tech coming out to fix my connection I'll ask him what this thing could be.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Nearly 2 hours on the line with customer support and nothing resolved. The replacement PVR would but connect to the modem so I ended up plugging the old one back in. Signal is still poor but at least I have something. Tech will come on Thursday evening.

Bell has great s/w but iffy h/w. And, of course, the installer being very inexperienced didn't help. Maybe the signal to the PVR was ok on the main floor but he never asked me where to place it, she when he called back later in the day he told me swapping the PVR and secondary box was fine.

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wprager wrote:Nearly 2 hours on the line with customer support and nothing resolved. The replacement PVR would but connect to the modem so I ended up plugging the old one back in. Signal is still poor but at least I have something. Tech will come on Thursday evening.

Bell has great s/w but iffy h/w.  And, of course, the installer being very inexperienced didn't help.  Maybe the signal to the PVR was ok on the main floor but he never asked me where to place it, she when he called back later in the day he told me swapping the PVR and secondary box was fine.

Dude, the best strategy when dealing with Rogers/Bell Dung is to take matters into your own hands. Do a bit of research online and do your own troubleshooting with regards to where to place stuff, how to plug it in, etc. Only have them come out as a LAST resort.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

This *is* a last resort. I tried their instructions multiple times and other stuff as well before I called.

Their instructions said to unplug the old, plug in the new, and after it was up and running go to the modem and hold the WPS button for 10 seconds so it goes into a 5 minute discovery protocol. Then go back to the PVR and point the remote at it and press select to finish the connection.

Problem is that it's a Bluetooth remote paired with the old PVR. So I tried the remote from the other stb thinking the select signal would be identical between the two different models. They weren't.

I tried pairing the remote with the new PVR but for some reason that didn't work either. Tried power cycling the PVR and starting again. Nothing doing.

Around this point in time I called the 310-BELL line. And the 2LS basically had me do everything I'd already done another couple times. Also had me power cycle the modem itself. At one point he says that, from his end, the PVR was connected to the modem and the remote was paired with the PVR, but from my end that was BS.

The 2LS guy was a little quicker at determine determining that he wasn't going to be able to solve it, at least not quickly, and booked a tech call for me.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Everything is fine, now. He ended up putting a signal booster on the main floor (there was a phone outlet there and he could use that). I don't know 100% how it works but I've got 4 bars upstairs now. And he ended up getting a *third* PVR box as both my first one and the replacement were defective in some way.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

What do you guys pay per month for internet? I'm paying 92.45 plus tax with Bell and feel that's high

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PTFlea wrote:What do you guys pay per month for internet?  I'm paying 92.45 plus tax with Bell and feel that's high

50$ with teksavvy

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Yeah, I pay about $50 for unlimited 25Mbps cable with TekSavvy.

They have some specials on right now: https://teksavvy.com/en/residential/internet/cable

I know a couple people that use Carrytel and are happy with them.  Their prices are bonkers: http://carrytel.ca/

It always blows my mind when I hear about people paying as much as you, SpezD.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

50...Dung

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Time to deal with that

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

25mpbs is way too slow IMO. I want cable so I'll probably go with Rogers

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

I've got both cable and FTTH in the new place so I have options.

Don't believe there $50 quotes. That's what they were peddling at Costco (Primus, I think) but when all was said and done for unlimited at the rate I was then getting with Rogers came out to $72. That's with the modem rental. Now, at that point they weren't sure if I had FFTH so the deal was based on reselling Rogers access. Not sure what it would have been with Bell's FTTH, but probably a little more for 300Mbps service.

Not quite ready to cut the cord yet. Still looking at the best possible solution for OTA recording. Once that's in place (and when the 2 years with Bell are up) I'll get the $50 unlimited (whatever it happens to be at the time).

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

And, yes, 25 is not enough unless you are alone in the house. HD streaming takes, what, 4 for HD and 8-10 for 4k? Couple people streaming stuff, someone playing online, fire up the laptop for some web surfing and it's suddenly real slow.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 40 of 44]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 21 ... 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum