GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

NHL CBA Talk

+16
Hockeyhero22000
Flo The Action
tim1_2
SensHulk
spader
dennycrane
Cap'n Clutch
Ev
PTFlea
LeCaptain
NEELY
wprager
sandysensfan
shabbs
SeawaySensFan
Hoags
20 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 27 ... 50, 51, 52 ... 59 ... 67  Next

Go down  Message [Page 51 of 67]

751NHL CBA Talk - Page 51 Empty Re: NHL CBA Talk Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:51 am

SeawaySensFan

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Big Ev wrote:My sources tell me the lockout is over.

KABLAM!!!

Confirmed by Dr. J. Strangepork?

752NHL CBA Talk - Page 51 Empty Re: NHL CBA Talk Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:59 am

shabbs

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

So, expect our high hopes to be killed in a couple of hours... as they have been since this all started...

753NHL CBA Talk - Page 51 Empty Re: NHL CBA Talk Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:03 pm

Flo The Action

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

SeawaySensFan wrote:

KABLAM!!!

don't tease....

754NHL CBA Talk - Page 51 Empty Re: NHL CBA Talk Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:11 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Dung?

755NHL CBA Talk - Page 51 Empty Re: NHL CBA Talk Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:22 pm

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

I'll stick to my prediction of hockey in January. I mean... I'll take it now if they want to.

756NHL CBA Talk - Page 51 Empty Re: NHL CBA Talk Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:23 pm

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Flo The Action wrote:I'll stick to my prediction of hockey in January. I mean... I'll take it now if they want to.

If they play in November, they'll definitely be playing in January. Prediction: CORRECT!!! Ahhhhh! Ahhhhh!

757NHL CBA Talk - Page 51 Empty Re: NHL CBA Talk Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:29 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

So the players have moved off the guaranteed $$$ and have the owners kicking in more revenue share. That is a pretty big shift. I'll be curious to see what they've proposed for "make whole" of existing contracts. The devil is in the details... hopefully both sides are at least talking the same numbers this time.

758NHL CBA Talk - Page 51 Empty Re: NHL CBA Talk Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:32 pm

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

SeawaySensFan wrote:

KABLAM!!!

Waiting for confirmation. He has advised me that he made an account and is waiting for activation.

759NHL CBA Talk - Page 51 Empty Re: NHL CBA Talk Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:33 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

If the NHL rejects this, then I think the NHL will go dark for a long time... this is it.

760NHL CBA Talk - Page 51 Empty Re: NHL CBA Talk Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:38 pm

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

shabbs wrote:If the NHL rejects this, then I think the NHL will go dark for a long time... this is it.

You mean flat-out without a counter, right? Because if they are 182 million apart then they won't just accept the offer right away. This would just lead to serious bargaining and hammering out a deal.

761NHL CBA Talk - Page 51 Empty Re: NHL CBA Talk Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:39 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Big Ev wrote:
shabbs wrote:If the NHL rejects this, then I think the NHL will go dark for a long time... this is it.

You mean flat-out without a counter, right? Because if they are 182 million apart then they won't just accept the offer right away. This would just lead to serious bargaining and hammering out a deal.
Yeah, if they come back and say not good enough and don't negotiate... then it will be a set back.

I'm sure they won't accept this in full, but it SHOULD create a much easier route to negotiate and get a deal.

Players have moved in the owners direction and have based their proposal off the NHL's. This is what Gary has been asking for.

NHL has to see this as an act of good faith and do the kind.

Let's get this done.

Puck drop Dec. 15th.

762NHL CBA Talk - Page 51 Empty Re: NHL CBA Talk Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:42 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

tim1_2 wrote:
shabbs wrote:NHL's "middle class" and the things they say...

http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/blog/eye-on-hockey/21073978/nhls-middle-class-kris-versteeg-ian-white-and-the-things-they-say

Yeah, I get their frustration, but c'mon. They're just butthurt from getting whipped in the last lockout.

In the last CBA they got a significant raise to the league minimum salary, shorter wait for UFA status and the quirks in the loopholes allowed them to collect more of their salaries way earlier, funding their early retirement in some contracts. I believe the player pension benefits were also improved significantly.

Sure, they took a 24% cut (after losing a year, to boot) but they more than made it up with the 5% elevator clause that they invoked each and every year (7 years' worth). And, of course, their salaries rose (average) something like 80% in that time. To say nothing of the 300% type increases for players going from their ELC to their second contract. Funny how they are very quick to mention the 24% rollback but nobody ever mentions when a marginal top-six players goes from $1M (which is not too shabby to begin with) to $3M or above, on a multi-year term, no less.

763NHL CBA Talk - Page 51 Empty Re: NHL CBA Talk Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:44 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Wonder if there will be a 5% elevator clause in the new CBA....? Heh heh. I highly doubt it.

764NHL CBA Talk - Page 51 Empty Re: NHL CBA Talk Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:45 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

shabbs wrote:On The Fan590 this morning, Doug MacLean mentioned that he heard that the NHLPA was not going to bring a full offer to the table, but rather pieces of an offer, much like they've done before. That will no doubt tick off Bettman and the NHL. I guess that is the NHLPA's strategy here. It was also mentioned that the NHLPA will "give" on the 5% variance item and possible others in contract rights in the hopes that the NHL will give on some of their items, in particular max contract length.

It also seems the NHL and NHLPA have agreed on at least one thing... and that is to move up the NHL Free Agency date to 48 hours after the Stanley Cup Final... or June 15th, whichever is later:

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2012/11/20/report-nhl-and-nhlpa-agree-to-move-free-agency-start-date-trading-cap-space/

Huzzah! Puck drop tonight!

I actually care less about the contract duration (enough GMs have been burned by those that I think they can self-regulate; plus I don't think those lead to salary escalations, quite the opposite); I do care a great deal about the 5% variance, though. Frankly, I have not hear a compelling-enough reason to allow *any* variance. Further to that, I would like to eliminate *all* signing bonuses (except maybe on that first one-way contract).

Lastly, whatever CBA we finally get, let it expire in the Summer and not September 15.

765NHL CBA Talk - Page 51 Empty Re: NHL CBA Talk Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:47 pm

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

NHL CBA Talk - Page 51 Tumblr_lkqm0enAZt1qh59n0o1_500

766NHL CBA Talk - Page 51 Empty Re: NHL CBA Talk Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:48 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

So... will the NHL see the numbers the same as the NHLPA?

767NHL CBA Talk - Page 51 Empty Re: NHL CBA Talk Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:50 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

shabbs wrote:Via LeBrun: NHLPA announces that today's meeting will start at 10:30 am ET at league's office in NYC

Why does the NHLPA feel the need to announce the meeting time? Are they hosting it? Are they in charge?

You know, I really have a problem with my oldest son and his "I am going to be using the computer from 6-8PM to do homework. You cannot be in the room while I'm on it. You can watch the TV in the family room until 8, as I'll be watching it after I'm done with homework."

The computer is in *my* bedroom; I paid for the TV and am paying for cable. How does *he* get to announce when he will be using it?

I don't know, maybe I'm just the frustrated parent of a teenager, but I think the NHLPA needs to know its place in the hierarchy.

NHL CBA Talk - Page 51 Slider-cattle-ear-tags

768NHL CBA Talk - Page 51 Empty Re: NHL CBA Talk Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:55 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

SeawaySensFan wrote:
shabbs wrote:Many reports coming in saying the latest NHLPA offer has the sides $182 million apart over the five-year deal.

Come on! This has to happen now. So damn close.

That's a lotta cake. They should divide the remaining $182 million amongst the real owners, the fans.

That's $1.21M per team per year. Or under $30,000 per home date (excluding pre-season and playoffs). What's the average attendance league-wide? Maybe the league should suggest a $2 surcharge on each ticket. Mark it clearly on the stub as being money earmarked for the players. Let's see if the bastards have the stones to agree to this.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 51 of 67]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 27 ... 50, 51, 52 ... 59 ... 67  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum