GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

WEBER SIGNS 14 YEAR OFFER SHEET WITH FLYERS!

+13
Flo The Action
Amnesia021
dennycrane
Ev
Hoags
Riprock
PTFlea
NEELY
SeawaySensFan
shabbs
wprager
spader
SensHulk
17 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8 ... 15  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 15]

NEELY

Mod
Mod

Well, technically Nashville has every right to match that offer... it's not like he "didn't sign" in Nashville. He could be a Pred for life after this.. I don't think he will but I think people saying he doesn't want to be in Nashville are not looking at the big picture.

He wanted to get paid before the new CBA, simple as that.

SeawaySensFan

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

NEELY wrote:Well, technically Nashville has every right to match that offer... it's not like he "didn't sign" in Nashville. He could be a Pred for life after this.. I don't think he will but I think people saying he doesn't want to be in Nashville are not looking at the big picture.

He wanted to get paid before the new CBA, simple as that.

That's what I said. And based on the fact that he was unsigned, I would have to say that he didn't sign.

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Holy Dung....I go out for a while and this happens?

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

I didn't even know Weber's contract was up, I thought it was next year.

I think Hemlock nailed it - matching the offer for Nashville keeps Weber a Predator for as long as they want. Anyone know if it includes any NMC/NTC?

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

SeawaySensFan wrote:
I would hope that Bryan Murray would be smart enough to reach out to Poile and suggest that if money is the issue, he would be willing to trade for Weber once they match thus spiting the Flyers in the process.

Can't do that for a whole year, and if Nashville can get 4 first round picks, what do you think Ottawa would have to give up?

Pretty sure this also rules Philly out now as a destination for Nash if it goes through.

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Riprock wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:
I would hope that Bryan Murray would be smart enough to reach out to Poile and suggest that if money is the issue, he would be willing to trade for Weber once they match thus spiting the Flyers in the process.

Can't do that for a whole year, and if Nashville can get 4 first round picks, what do you think Ottawa would have to give up?

Pretty sure this also rules Philly out now as a destination for Nash if it goes through.

Ottawa would have to give up Cowen for starters, wouldn't they? I think the only destination that won't be ruled out for Nash, in the end, is the Buckeye State!!!

Hoags

Hoags
All-Star
All-Star

Riprock wrote:I didn't even know Weber's contract was up, I thought it was next year.

I think Hemlock nailed it - matching the offer for Nashville keeps Weber a Predator for as long as they want. Anyone know if it includes any NMC/NTC?

It probably does have an NTC/NMC that kicks in a year's time (can't have NMC if you're not UFA eligible) but I believe Nashville would not have to honor it.

My understanding is that they'd have to pay Weber $26M only to trade him a year later, which sounds stupid from an ownership point of view.

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

Hmmm.... Is Pronger done? I only ask, because this move smells like a team desperate to replace that type of player. And he still counts towards Philly's cap, I bet they would love to remove that. If only there was a team shy of the cap floor that they could move him to, and just to be fair they should include a pick or prospect, or maybe some roster player that could be top 6 material but is down on their depth charts.

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Hoags wrote:
Riprock wrote:I didn't even know Weber's contract was up, I thought it was next year.

It probably does have an NTC/NMC that kicks in a year's time (can't have NMC if you're not UFA eligible) but I believe Nashville would not have to honor it.

My understanding is that they'd have to pay Weber $26M only to trade him a year later, which sounds stupid from an ownership point of view.

Quite a poison pill there.

Hoags

Hoags
All-Star
All-Star

SeawaySensFan wrote:
Quite a poison pill there.

I'm sure Nashville would match any non poison pill offer sheet. This makes it more interesting whether they match (still think they do).

#Preds Weber offer sheet from #Flyers. 1st 4 yrs 1M salary+13M sb; yrs 5-6 4M sal+ 8Msb; yrs 7-10 6M sal; year 11 3M sal; last 3 yrs 1M sal

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Pretty much the perfect situation for Nashville to be in. Yes, they have to pay him big money up front, but he's locked into your franchise for the rest of his career.

Everyone knew he'd be getting 8 million a year no matter how the $$ actually got paid out. You pay it, you use him for the next 6 years, then you re-assess and his value is still through the roof.

I realize there'll be reluctance from Nashville to pay him that much up front, but you have to grin and take it.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Nope, I take that back, didn't realize they were giving him 14 million per year for the first 4 years, that's ludicrous in real $$. Have the Flyers designed a way to get him away from Nashville? Maybe they have actually....

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

Riprock wrote:Hmmm.... Is Pronger done? I only ask, because this move smells like a team desperate to replace that type of player. And he still counts towards Philly's cap, I bet they would love to remove that. If only there was a team shy of the cap floor that they could move him to, and just to be fair they should include a pick or prospect, or maybe some roster player that could be top 6 material but is down on their depth charts.

Butler + for Pronger + roster player/pick/prospect

Hoags

Hoags
All-Star
All-Star

Don't forget about this:

http://www.tennessean.com/article/20120429/NEWS01/304290057/Profit-eludes-Nashville-Predators-despite-ice-success-public-money?nclick_check=1

Millions of dollars in public funds and unsurpassed on-ice success have not been able to turn the Nashville Predators into a profitable business.

The leader of the local ownership group said members have been forced to put $60 million of their own money into the operation over the past five years, largely to cover losses. The city has given the Predators $38.6 million in the same period.

With the financial failures of other Sun Belt professional hockey teams in Dallas, Atlanta and Phoenix, the question then becomes: Is the Predators’ business model sustainable?

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

Also, good luck to Sidney Crosby, have fun keeping your head up facing Weber and Schenn 8 times a year.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

That offer sheet has been structured to make it as difficult as possible for the Preds to match. Weber must really want out. Does Poile really want to keep him around then? Gonna create some friction. Getcha popcorn ready.

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

Lots of $$$ to replace losing Suter and Weber.

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Hoags wrote:Don't forget about this:

http://www.tennessean.com/article/20120429/NEWS01/304290057/Profit-eludes-Nashville-Predators-despite-ice-success-public-money?nclick_check=1

Millions of dollars in public funds and unsurpassed on-ice success have not been able to turn the Nashville Predators into a profitable business.

The leader of the local ownership group said members have been forced to put $60 million of their own money into the operation over the past five years, largely to cover losses. The city has given the Predators $38.6 million in the same period.

With the financial failures of other Sun Belt professional hockey teams in Dallas, Atlanta and Phoenix, the question then becomes: Is the Predators’ business model sustainable?

I never take these reports of "losses" at face value. The team manages the rink too and probably makes a tidy sum to do so.

Last edited by SeawaySensFan on Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:29 am; edited 1 time in total

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 15]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8 ... 15  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum