GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Fire Alert

+4
tim1_2
shabbs
Cap'n Clutch
Riprock
8 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 3]

1Fire Alert Empty Fire Alert Thu Jul 12, 2012 4:31 pm

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

There are two fires right now in and around Kanata.

One near Terry Fox & Fernbank and the other around Moodie/Richmond Rd. between Hunt Club and Fallowfield.

Fire Alert 2012-010

This is the one near Moodie.

2Fire Alert Empty Re: Fire Alert Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:47 pm

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I'm on Carp road. That's getting close to home.
Good thing my property and a neighboring community has a pond with a fire hydrant.

- Unknown Author

3Fire Alert Empty Re: Fire Alert Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:06 am

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

And then apparently the police, or whomever, detonated some explosives that they seized, causing some panic.

4Fire Alert Empty Re: Fire Alert Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:27 am

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Any idea on what started it?

5Fire Alert Empty Re: Fire Alert Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:50 am

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

I don't know for sure, but my thoughts would be heat and dry conditions. Specifically for the Moodie one considering all the trails there. The Terry Fox and Fernbank one is all under construction fort new developments, so not sure if it was nature or a construction site/housing development.

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/health/Police+detonate+materials+found+Nepean+investigation/6923381/story.html

This is an update on the police detonation.

6Fire Alert Empty Re: Fire Alert Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:01 am

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Riprock wrote:I don't know for sure, but my thoughts would be heat and dry conditions.

ThisJustIn!

Thanks, tips!

7Fire Alert Empty Re: Fire Alert Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:07 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Cap'n Clutch wrote:I'm on Carp road. That's getting close to home.
Good thing my property and a neighboring community has a pond with a fire hydrant.

Have you checked the pond water level, lately?

8Fire Alert Empty Re: Fire Alert Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:08 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

shabbs wrote:Any idea on what started it?

Smokers who are no-longer allowed to smoke on patios, of course. Sarcasm

9Fire Alert Empty Re: Fire Alert Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:25 am

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Any updates on the Kanata Konflagration?!?!?!?

Riprock?!?!

10Fire Alert Empty Re: Fire Alert Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:32 am

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Rumour has it that the friction between BooBoo's elasticated rugger pants got so hot as he was walking through the field looking for Zima bottles, it created a spark that set off this fire...

Must be true.

11Fire Alert Empty Re: Fire Alert Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:42 am

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

shabbs wrote:Rumour has it that the friction between BooBoo's elasticated rugger pants got so hot as he was walking through the field looking for Zima bottles, it created a spark that set off this fire...

Must be true.

The one time I wanted to order a Zima, they were sold out at the bar I was at. Now I'll never know.

12Fire Alert Empty Re: Fire Alert Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:51 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

tim1_2 wrote:
Riprock wrote:I don't know for sure, but my thoughts would be heat and dry conditions.

ThisJustIn!

Thanks, tips!

Seriously, though, this is nuts. We are at level 2 drought conditions, and the scale only goes to 3. The trigger points for level 3 would be "18-month, three-month or one-month precipitation levels are less than 40 per cent of average". But I hear on the radio that we are at around 20% for nearly the last month. There is no way we are going to get to 40% before the time bracket hits one month and then we are at level 3 officially (unofficially I'd say we're already there).

When you are at level 3 there are mandatory reductions in water usage (we are already asked to reduce water usage by 20%). I've watered my lawn once this year (and it shows). Farmers are in trouble -- local produce prices will skyrocket. We're going to have a hell of a summer.

13Fire Alert Empty Re: Fire Alert Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:53 am

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

My lawn looks like the Serengeti in the peak of dry season...

14Fire Alert Empty Re: Fire Alert Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:06 am

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

I've watered my vegetable/herb gardens a couple times, for about 10-15 minutes each time, and even then I feel guilty. I am perfectly happy to let my grass turn brown…no mowing for me!

The people I want to strangle are the people with the perfectly green lawns who are watering on a daily basis. God damned mother Diddlers.

15Fire Alert Empty Re: Fire Alert Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:08 am

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

My street has quite a few of those "perfect lawn" dudes... but this year, even theirs are looking sad and brown... so you know it's been hot when.... there's only one house that has a glorious front lawn and tons of flowers... their water bill must be through the roof.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 3]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum