GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Which Ottawa player could "Break Out" next year?

+9
Riprock
wprager
tim1_2
NEELY
Flo The Action
SensHulk
Hoags
dennycrane
PTFlea
13 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 3]

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

I'll go with Turris. Silfverberg will take time to adjust to the *very* different game. Man, every time I see highlights of his goals -- especially the angle from that camera that must be up in orbit -- it looks like he's the only one on the ice. There's so little room on an NHL rink now it's not funny. The players are likely 3-4" taller, on average, than they were in the '50s, they skate much, much faster, yet the rink has stayed the same size. I would, personally, be in favor of an NHL expansion in rink size. Maybe not as big as the Olympic sized but something bigger than now.

tim1_2

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Yeah, making the rinks bigger would be great, but I don't see how this would be accepted by any teams, given the modifications necessary to each arena to make it a reality.

NEELY

Mod
Mod

wprager wrote:I'll go with Turris. Silfverberg will take time to adjust to the *very* different game. Man, every time I see highlights of his goals -- especially the angle from that camera that must be up in orbit -- it looks like he's the only one on the ice. There's so little room on an NHL rink now it's not funny. The players are likely 3-4" taller, on average, than they were in the '50s, they skate much, much faster, yet the rink has stayed the same size. I would, personally, be in favor of an NHL expansion in rink size. Maybe not as big as the Olympic sized but something bigger than now.

Having a good shot like that on the bigger ice is actually less effective than it would be in the NHL. The question isn't whether or not he will be effective enough on the smaller ice but will he be brave enough to go into those scoring area's with a lot less room? That's the only adjustment he needs to makes and by all accounts that shouldn't be an issue for any extended length of time.

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

Filatov!

Sarcasm

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

A guy like Spezza (and maybe Turris) will open up a lot of ice for Silf. Look what Spezza did for Heatbag.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

NEELY wrote:Turris IMO. I think you see a 60 point season.

Regin is the black horse.

Dark horse perhaps?

SensHulk

SensHulk
All-Star
All-Star

Big Ev wrote:

Dark horse perhaps?

What a racist Laugh1

Tanned horse better?

NEELY

Mod
Mod

Big Ev wrote:

Dark horse perhaps?

Is black not dark?

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

tim1_2 wrote:Yeah, making the rinks bigger would be great, but I don't see how this would be accepted by any teams, given the modifications necessary to each arena to make it a reality.

Short-term it means losing seats. Longer term, though, with a bigger ice surface you can make the arena bigger.

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wprager wrote:
tim1_2 wrote:Yeah, making the rinks bigger would be great, but I don't see how this would be accepted by any teams, given the modifications necessary to each arena to make it a reality.

Short-term it means losing seats. Longer term, though, with a bigger ice surface you can make the arena bigger.

That ship sailed when pretty much every team in the NHL built new rinks within a relatively narrow time period. Golden opportunity flushed down the toilet.

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wprager wrote:

Yep, piece of cake. Beer

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

There are some new arenas in the works, and more in the next decade or so. If they plan on it now perhaps by the time that the average size of an NHL payer is 6'5" and 245 lbs they will finally have arenas big enough for today's players.

SensHulk

SensHulk
All-Star
All-Star

a buddy of mine just saw Turris, Smith, and Klinkhammer practicing at the sensplex. So Turris and/or Smith are in the lead for breakout player! Sarcasm

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

I hope the sens keep us up to date with which players stay in ottawa over the summer to work on their game. kinda the way Dacosta did last year.

Would be nice to hear Turris is staying up. since he's been in Ottawa there's absolutely nothing to reproach the guy as far as commitment. Still wonder what the rift in Phoenix was all about. he seams like he has a real pro attitude.

Bobby B needs to stay in ottawa if he's to have any chance next year.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

same thing should apply to silf. if he wants to make the team from day one would be a good idea to get used to everything surrounding the organization and practice with players in ottawa, especially if Alfie returns he said he'd need to stay and shape and practice all summer.

imagine all of turris, alfie and silf practicing together all summer? could build some chemistry

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Michallica wrote:a buddy of mine just saw Turris, Smith, and Klinkhammer practicing at the sensplex. So Turris and/or Smith are in the lead for breakout player! Sarcasm

lol what's this Klinkhammer guy doing here. Go home or to Bingo.

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Big Ev wrote:
Michallica wrote:a buddy of mine just saw Turris, Smith, and Klinkhammer practicing at the sensplex. So Turris and/or Smith are in the lead for breakout player! Sarcasm

lol what's this Klinkhammer guy doing here. Go home or to Bingo.

Klinkhammer will be in the Top 6 by November and will have hit about 15 points by then.

NEELY

Mod
Mod

Klinkhammer would be smart to just sign a 2 way deal with the Sens with a large AHL salary.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum