GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Which of Ottawa's prospects will SURPRISE next year?

+7
LeCaptain
Riprock
SeawaySensFan
Flo The Action
Ev
stempniaksen
PTFlea
11 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 5]

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Will there be a shock next year? This year there can be two that I can think of that can be classified as surprised.

1.Erik Karlsson struggling a little bit, being sent to the AHL and coming up 100% a new player - dominating games on his own and becoming a true NHL, puck-moving D-man

2.Peter Regin. Long talked about, started the year here, struggled with consistency, was placed on the 4th line at times, an injury or two later, he's a top line player in the NHL. Shocking? No. Surprising? Yes.

My personal opinion is...

It's a tough one for me personally because I'm such a big fan of Patrick Wiercioch. Watching games he's played, clips, reading Denver fans' gushing takes on him - I'll admit, I'm completely absorbed in what this kid could be to the Sens back end.

Robin Lehner's another one I'm enthralled with, but this question is who will come in and SHOCK and/or surprise? Lehner has the potential to play NHL hockey next year, but will he shock?

My pick is Bobby Butler. Brought in here for a reason last year, this kid might start the year in Bingo, but I have a feeling he'll be making the mesh ripple in Ottawa to the delight of fans. Obviously I could be wrong, but I think this is the prospect that makes waves for the Sens next year.

You?

stempniaksen

stempniaksen
Veteran
Veteran

I'm gonna throw out Z.Smith.

I know he's already shown what he can do at the NHL level, but I honestly wouldn't be too surprised to see him play his way into a 2nd line role if the Sens decide to go with a depth approach.

I just don't see guy like Wiercioch, Gryba, Butler or Wick having the seasons that Karlsson or Regin did. Or even making it to the NHL for more than a stretch of games at this point.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

stempniaksen wrote:I'm gonna throw out Z.Smith.

I know he's already shown what he can do at the NHL level, but I honestly wouldn't be too surprised to see him play his way into a 2nd line role if the Sens decide to go with a depth approach.

I just don't see guy like Wiercioch, Gryba, Butler or Wick having the seasons that Karlsson or Regin did. Or even making it to the NHL for more than a stretch of games at this point.

Uhoh! Uh..now look, I like Z.Smith as much as anyone else...but...

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Jimmy O'Brien, dunno why

stempniaksen

stempniaksen
Veteran
Veteran

SpezDispenser wrote:
stempniaksen wrote:I'm gonna throw out Z.Smith.

Uhoh! Uh..now look, I like Z.Smith as much as anyone else...but...

I'm not expecting it. But if we trade away a few guys like Foligno and Shannon for extra picks, or to move up in the draft then spots are gonna be open. Especially if the Kelly line stays as the '4th line' then there will be spots in the top 9 for the taking.

I'm not saying he'll contribute as a top-six player points wise, but that he'll get a shot to play with some talented players at even strength (no PP or anything like that). I especially see this being the case if Foligno was dealt (something I don't think is out of the question).

I think you misinterpreted what I said as me thinking Smitty would go off and become a top-six forward when really I don't think any rookie will make a huge impact next year. I just think out of the 5-6 guys rookies who will get to taste the NHL this year he's the most likely to have a bit of success.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

stempniaksen wrote:
I'm not expecting it. But if we trade away a few guys like Foligno and Shannon for extra picks, or to move up in the draft then spots are gonna be open. Especially if the Kelly line stays as the '4th line' then there will be spots in the top 9 for the taking.

I'm not saying he'll contribute as a top-six player points wise, but that he'll get a shot to play with some talented players at even strength (no PP or anything like that). I especially see this being the case if Foligno was dealt (something I don't think is out of the question).

I think you misinterpreted what I said as me thinking Smitty would go off and become a top-six forward when really I don't think any rookie will make a huge impact next year. I just think out of the 5-6 guys rookies who will get to taste the NHL this year he's the most likely to have a bit of success.

I could see it maybe if Foligno gets dealt and there are some injuries, Smith would have to play on Fisher's wing, but if he did, I could see him having some success for sure.

I think he'll be the perfect 4th line center for us - assuming that Kelly's line is the defacto 3rd line. I'm not sure if he'll make it right out of the gate, but I would expect Murray to do everything possible to find him a spot.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Big Ev wrote:Jimmy O'Brien, dunno why

You wish. I wish. We all wish.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

tough one here... to really surprise i would love to say butler but i have a feeling it might just be the opposite. he finds himself on a checking role. when we brought winny to the sens i remember alot of talk of him being a great passer, possibly a a second line center in the making.
so i guess i'd rather not be dissapointed. it's a little to early to say also.
sens chirp reported that there was progress with the wick contract( Rolling Eyes ) but i won't hold my breath. from what i saw in the olympics from wick he could maybe end up challenging for a spot in ottawa and possibly suprise a few people. let's just see what happens with his contract 1st.
another for me would be petersson but it doesn't look like he wants to come to NA unless he's guaranteed a spot in Ottawa(someone should have a long talk with some of these prospects and get them to understand that they have to get their feet wet to get a chance to jump in the pool.

so i guess i'll go for either 1 of those guys on a long stretch and weirchoch on this side of the pond.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Good post Flo.

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Just a hunch, David Dziurzynski. Which of Ottawa's prospects will SURPRISE next year? 105237

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

SeawaySensFan wrote:Just a hunch, David Dziurzynski. Which of Ottawa's prospects will SURPRISE next year? 105237
another checking forward? i kidd... goodbye Dio may the Mob Rule forever. RocknRoll

Ask me 2nd week of July.

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

Emmerson Etem Sarcasm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

N4L wrote:Ask me 2nd week of July.

Because you want to find out if we sign a D-man?

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Dash wrote:Emmerson Etem Sarcasm

You think he could step in and play? I've been trying to read up on him as he sounds like a dude we'd take, there was a knock on him, can't remember what it was now. Either work ethic or play away from the puck (which would be natural for a young dude).

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 5]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum