GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

All Playoff Talk... All the Time... 2012 Edition

+20
sandysensfan
Tuk Tuk
SensHulk
SeawaySensFan
stempniaksen
dennycrane
Hobiesens
Hoags
Riprock
Flo The Action
spader
Cap'n Clutch
cash
rooneypoo
SensGirl11
Ev
PTFlea
wprager
tim1_2
shabbs
24 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 17 ... 30, 31, 32 ... 45 ... 60  Next

Go down  Message [Page 31 of 60]

tim1_2

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wprager wrote:Yep, sometimes you wonder if the NHL needs to do something more than just punish the player when his action creates such a decisive advantage to his team.

Well, the punishment in a game should have been a 5-minute major for Torres, but the refs missed the call. To be honest, when I saw the hit for the FIRST time, at full-speed, it was hard to tell if it was dirty. Seemed a little late, seemed like he left his feet, but I wasn't sure until I saw the replay.

Anyway, I'm glad I'm not emotionally invested in the Blackhawks, as that would be a bitter pill to swallow.

rooneypoo

All-Star
All-Star

wprager wrote:Yep, sometimes you wonder if the NHL needs to do something more than just punish the player when his action creates such a decisive advantage to his team.

As long as the NHL refuses to do anything additional, this stuff will continue to happen. Most teams out there will take any advantage that is offered to them, and knocking out a star player is a very big advantage, so the key is to make sure that taking out a player from another team provides the offending team with no advantage whatsoever. Make them sit a star for an injured star.

tim1_2

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

rooneypoo wrote:

As long as the NHL refuses to do anything additional, this stuff will continue to happen. Most teams out there will take any advantage that is offered to them, and knocking out a star player is a very big advantage, so the key is to make sure that taking out a player from another team provides the offending team with no advantage whatsoever. Make them sit a star for an injured star.

Will never ever ever happen.

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

tim1_2 wrote:
rooneypoo wrote:

Then Hossa-like incidents will never ever ever stop.

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

rooneypoo wrote:
tim1_2 wrote:
rooneypoo wrote:

I think a much more realistic punishment is to up the amount players can be fined. The league got it right with a 25 game suspension that will impact Torres' wallet, but they should also be allowed to impose substantial fines on repeat offenders.

Long suspensions + additional fines are about as far as the NHL will ever be able to go.

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

tim1_2 wrote:
rooneypoo wrote:
tim1_2 wrote:
rooneypoo wrote:

I think a much more realistic punishment is to up the amount players can be fined. The league got it right with a 25 game suspension that will impact Torres' wallet, but they should also be allowed to impose substantial fines on repeat offenders.

Long suspensions + additional fines are about as far as the NHL will ever be able to go.

I think PHX takes a Torres for Hossa trade off any day of the week, don't you?

Punishing the goon is not enough, not in a playoff series. This is a team sport. Punish the team for trying to intentionally take out players, and that Dung will stop. Otherwise, it will always be an advantage to take out a star player.

Hoags

Hoags
All-Star
All-Star

rooneypoo wrote:
Punishing the goon is not enough, not in a playoff series. This is a team sport. Punish the team for trying to intentionally take out players, and that Dung will stop. Otherwise, it will always be an advantage to take out a star player.

Teams will fight it. Shanahan was suspending people left and right in the preseason, GMs complained and we have the gong show right now.

Much like Mario's rant on how dirty the league while employing Matt Cooke, there's far too much hypocrisy in the NHL right now.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Dmitry Chesnokov ‏ @dchesnokov Reply Retweet Favorite · Open
The West for ya RT @BroadStBull Pekka Rinne's .944 save percentage in playoffs is the WORST of the four remaining West goalies. #Flyers

Unbelievable stat.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Back to gooning it up.

The league can look into taking away draft picks for certain incidents. Problem is you always want to say that *if* there was a foul and an injury, the player is culpable. But in this particular case there was no penalty called on the play, so what do you do? Four sets of eyes at ice level concluded it was a good hit and a player got injured.

Of course part of it should be to review plays where significant injury happens. Hossa was on the ice 5 minutes before they even attempted to put him on a spinal board. That time should be spent reviewing the play to determine, right then and there, if a penalty was warranted.

Then, during the supplemental discipline phase, if a significant injury resulted from an illegal play, then the player and the team are penalized. Take a 2nd round pick from Nashville and give it to Chicago. Have some scale. Maybe tie it to compensation based on the player's cap hit, similar to RFA compensation. Take out a $4M player, pay a 3rd rounder. Take out a $6M player, 2nd rounder. Take out a superstar and you are forced to pack up and move to Quebec City. No franchise for you!

OK, I was joking on the last one.

Hoags

Hoags
All-Star
All-Star

I say you start giving out heavy fines to teams with repeat offenders. If you penalize the owners who employ players whose repeatedly injure others, they will stop employing such players if it hits their bottom line.

Tuk Tuk

Tuk Tuk
Veteran
Veteran

What about a fine to the team, and the suspended players roster spot can't be filled in his absence. Imagine Phoenix going through the rest of the playoffs with only 11 forwards?

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Tuk Tuk wrote:What about a fine to the team, and the suspended players roster spot can't be filled in his absence. Imagine Phoenix going through the rest of the playoffs with only 11 forwards?

They will be fine with the support of Phoenix resident, Dave Mustaine.

All hail Dave Mustaine.

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wprager wrote:Then, during the supplemental discipline phase, if a significant injury resulted from an illegal play, then the player and the team are penalized. Take a 2nd round pick from Nashville and give it to Chicago. Have some scale. Maybe tie it to compensation based on the player's cap hit, similar to RFA compensation. Take out a $4M player, pay a 3rd rounder. Take out a $6M player, 2nd rounder.

For real? Quite ridiculous.

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Tuk Tuk wrote:What about a fine to the team, and the suspended players roster spot can't be filled in his absence. Imagine Phoenix going through the rest of the playoffs with only 11 forwards?

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

tim1_2 wrote:
wprager wrote:Then, during the supplemental discipline phase, if a significant injury resulted from an illegal play, then the player and the team are penalized. Take a 2nd round pick from Nashville and give it to Chicago. Have some scale. Maybe tie it to compensation based on the player's cap hit, similar to RFA compensation. Take out a $4M player, pay a 3rd rounder. Take out a $6M player, 2nd rounder.

NFL takes draft picks away all the time to penalize teams.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Devils outshooting Panthers 3 to 1 (34 to 11) but the score is tied. Florida had to put in Clemmenson because of some injury (?) to Theodore. If you recall, Clemmenson was backup to Brodeur for a few years.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Off to OT. Powerplays are 4-1 Devils which likely explains some of the shot count disparity.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Boo, the Devils won. Game 7s all around.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 31 of 60]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 17 ... 30, 31, 32 ... 45 ... 60  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum