GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

GAME DAY: Nashville @ Ottawa, 7:30PM, Thursday, February 9, 2012

+13
Ev
PTFlea
sandysensfan
SensHulk
TheAvatar
wprager
SeawaySensFan
Riprock
Number Twenty Nine
shabbs
tim1_2
Cap'n Clutch
stempniaksen
17 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Go down  Message [Page 7 of 7]

tim1_2

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Riprock wrote:
Oh and does anyone think that Foligno's making too much to be a 4th liner? If he's not going to crack the top 6, where do you draw the line for how much to pay him?

Foligno's a real interesting case. Remember how hot he was earlier, scoring highlight-reel goals at will? It seems like we will constantly be flip-flopping on whether or not to get rid of him or keep him. Last year he had 34 pts in 82 games, this year he already has 32 pts in 57 games. He seems like he's a good checking 3rd line winger capable of putting up 40ish pts per year. He's also still young, and will be a RFA this summer, so I'm betting that he's resigned.

I think he's a guy that will always leave us expecting more, since he has shown flashes of brilliance.

Cap'n Clutch

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I'm personally quite surprised at the demotion of Foligno when Butler gets as much leash as he does. Granted he's finally sitting out games and this most recent game shows why he needs to be top 6 to be effective but seriously I think Foligno should be given more opportunity to get out of his funk given his fast start.

Am I wrong?

SeawaySensFan

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

tim1_2 wrote:
Riprock wrote:
Oh and does anyone think that Foligno's making too much to be a 4th liner? If he's not going to crack the top 6, where do you draw the line for how much to pay him?

Foligno's a real interesting case. Remember how hot he was earlier, scoring highlight-reel goals at will? It seems like we will constantly be flip-flopping on whether or not to get rid of him or keep him. Last year he had 34 pts in 82 games, this year he already has 32 pts in 57 games. He seems like he's a good checking 3rd line winger capable of putting up 40ish pts per year. He's also still young, and will be a RFA this summer, so I'm betting that he's resigned.

I think he's a guy that will always leave us expecting more, since he has shown flashes of brilliance.

He's had those early hot streaks for the past couple of years and I've said "sell high" on this player a few times. He's exactly the kind of player that could go on to bigger and better things elsewhere but sometimes you gotta roll the bones.

Your last point sums things up nicely and makes it really tough to consider moving him.

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

If Foligno was part of a trade that landed up a top line winger I would do it, but if you can keep both, you do that too.

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

Riprock wrote:O'Brien is making a statement that he is a capable 4th line center next season, if not for the rest of this season.

Lee looked good coming back form injury, another guy that might be able to cheaply fill out the bottom pairing.

Going to need to rely on these young, cheap guys to hopefully allow the Sens to load up on some expensive FA's.

Edit:

Meh, last night, lines 3 & 4 were interchangeable, and one didn't really get more even-strength ice time than the other. Smith & Condra had more ice time overall, but they're regulars on the PK.

Just looking at the team on paper, with Neil & Foligno on his wings, I'd say O'Brien was centering line #3, actually.

On paying Foligno: a Neil kind of deal is as high as we can go.

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

rooneypoo wrote:
Riprock wrote:O'Brien is making a statement that he is a capable 4th line center next season, if not for the rest of this season.

Lee looked good coming back form injury, another guy that might be able to cheaply fill out the bottom pairing.

Going to need to rely on these young, cheap guys to hopefully allow the Sens to load up on some expensive FA's.

Edit:

Meh, last night, lines 3 & 4 were interchangeable, and one didn't really get more even-strength ice time than the other. Smith & Condra had more ice time overall, but they're regulars on the PK.

Just looking at the team on paper, with Neil & Foligno on his wings, I'd say O'Brien was centering line #3, actually.

That's the way I saw it too. Moreso because Smith didn't really wow me last night.

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

SeawaySensFan wrote:
rooneypoo wrote:

Edit:

That's the way I saw it too. Moreso because Smith didn't really wow me last night.

I think it's a few things. Smith slowing down a bit, O'Brien hustling, & MacLean knowing that Smith, Condra, and Daug worked well together (I believe) last year in Bingo.

Either way, those are two solid lines I'd pit against the bottom two lines of most teams in the NHL. Not going to have many goals scored against you with that Smith line, which features 3 guys who are steady fixtures on the PK, on the ice.

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Riprock wrote:If Foligno was part of a trade that landed up a top line winger I would do it, but if you can keep both, you do that too.

This is another point with Foligno. His perceived value to us is probably higher than his actual value on the trade market. We know that his defensive game is pretty solid and he's a stand-up guy, but in actuality there are tons of NHLers like that around the league, and every team already has a couple. He's more of a utility-guy (dare I compare him to Ryan Shannon) at this point than anything else, but he does bring it most nights, and there's a lot to be said for that. He could be a victim of numbers down the road in a couple year, with more young forwards on the way.

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

rooneypoo wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:
rooneypoo wrote:

Edit:

I think it's a few things. Smith slowing down a bit, O'Brien hustling, & MacLean knowing that Smith, Condra, and Daug worked well together (I believe) last year in Bingo.

Either way, those are two solid lines I'd pit against the bottom two lines of most teams in the NHL. Not going to have many goals scored against you with that Smith line, which features 3 guys who are steady fixtures on the PK, on the ice.

Daugavins is just really solid each and every night. Haven't seen any exceptions to that really.

sandysensfan

Veteran
Veteran

Great game last night.... even though I thought they would lose based on the goaltender & defense that Nashville has... What do I know, right?

Phillips had his best game he has had in years. I'm sure he was motivated by playing his 1,000th game.. having his family there... and seeing his children's poster at the glass during the pre-game warmup.. congratulating their Daddy on his 1,000th game...

If they keep playing like they did last night.. they will make the playoffs. They need to get a winning streak going until those teams behind them catch up on games played.

Sens play Edm on Sat then back to back against Panthers & Lightening and then off for 4 days before facing the Isles. I'm sure during that time off... teams will catch up in games played... These next 4 games are very necessary to win..

Nice to see Fisher... what a classy guy...

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 7 of 7]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum