GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Trade Bonanza 2012! Speculation, Rumours, the Works!

+23
KidKarlsson
Flo The Action
rooneypoo
Ev
Da lil Guy
TheAvatar
Number Twenty Nine
stempniaksen
SensHulk
spader
Cap'n Clutch
BigRig
Oglethorpe
cash
NEELY
dennycrane
wprager
SeawaySensFan
Hoags
tim1_2
shabbs
PTFlea
Riprock
27 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 19 ... 34, 35, 36 ... 51 ... 67  Next

Go down  Message [Page 35 of 67]

SeawaySensFan

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

SpezDispenser wrote:Didn't see a Gleason extension coming at all.

Further to my original question:

TSNBobMcKenzie Bob McKenzie
Tim Gleason has a full no-trade clause in first two years of his four-year deal.

tim1_2

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

SeawaySensFan wrote:
tim1_2 wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:Gleason gets an extension to the tune of 4 years x 4m. Where does that leave him?

In Carolina.

You don't think that boosts his trade value at all? Is it a good enough deal to be considered a bargain for the 'Canes?

He averages 15-20 pts per year, he's pretty solid defensively, he fights occasionally, and apparently is a pretty good "team" guy. Probably one of those guys (not unlike Phillips) where the value to his current club is higher than his perceived market value.

$4M? Seems a little high, but what do I know.

SeawaySensFan

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

tim1_2 wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:
tim1_2 wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:Gleason gets an extension to the tune of 4 years x 4m. Where does that leave him?

In Carolina.

You don't think that boosts his trade value at all? Is it a good enough deal to be considered a bargain for the 'Canes?

He averages 15-20 pts per year, he's pretty solid defensively, he fights occasionally, and apparently is a pretty good "team" guy. Probably one of those guys (not unlike Phillips) where the value to his current club is higher than his perceived market value.

$4M? Seems a little high, but what do I know.

Neither here nor there with the NTC I guess. Meanwhile Akim Aliu is now part of the Flames org.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

4 millions about right, but sometimes you question why a team doesn't try to get one or two prospects (good ones) and rebuild properly. Whatever...

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

Huh... any chance then that instead of selling, Carolina instead trades Staal and does a retool like Ottawa?

A guy like Stal might get a few decent pieces back for Carolina, plus some picks...

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Riprock wrote:Huh... any chance then that instead of selling, Carolina instead trades Staal and does a retool like Ottawa?

A guy like Stal might get a few decent pieces back for Carolina, plus some picks...

Looks like that's basically what they're doing. Staal wouldn't be part of that formula, kind of like Spezza here. But guys like Ruutu and Spacek and Pitkanen are more like what Ottawa unloaded last year.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Riprock wrote:Huh... any chance then that instead of selling, Carolina instead trades Staal and does a retool like Ottawa?

I would imagine that's exactly it - which could mean no Pitkanen on the market, but the lower tiered guys like Allen and Spacek (don't care for).

Also...Ruutu may re-sign, no one takes that into account. The Canes aren't as bad as their record indicates IMO - they have work to do - and they have picks to acquire this deadline, but...don't discount Rutherford re-signing more guys.*

*All IMO of course.

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Staal's cap hit is $8.25M until 15-16. I'd say it's unlikely he's going anywhere. It's hard to get 1st line centres, so Carolina has every reason to retain him, and his salary kinda weighs him down, so his potential trade value might be lessened.

I think he's staying with the Canes, and the guys to move will be Ruutu, Allen, and Spacek.

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

Unlikely, maybe. Not impossible. Hard to tell what that team is doing.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Staal has an NTC and his actual salary is going up (i.e. not front-end loaded). No way is he worth that much outside of the Carolina market. If they move him, they would have to do it by taking back a bad contract.

dennycrane

dennycrane
Veteran
Veteran

Keeping Gleason is a smart move. You could trade him but you would be looking to replace him immediately and the cost to replace might be more than what you get.

Teams need to stay above the floor. Staal isn't going.

stempniaksen

stempniaksen
Veteran
Veteran

Staal won't be going anywhere, this actually looks quite a bit like the Sens rebuild, imo.

Staal will stick around to lead a young group of forwards (Spezza).
Gleason is brought back to be a veteran shutdown defenceman (Phillips).
Guys like Ruutu, Allen, Spacek will be moved at the deadline (Fisher, Kelly).

The difference is that Ottawa had pieces rebound/step up this season to make them competitive, while there aren't as many in options in Carolina (although it looked bleak for the Sens at this time last year too.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

stempniaksen wrote:

Staal won't be going anywhere, this actually looks quite a bit like the Sens rebuild, imo.

The difference is that Ottawa had pieces rebound/step up this season to make them competitive, while there aren't as many in options in Carolina (although it looked bleak for the Sens at this time last year too.

Still think they'll keep Ruutu - last minute signing of 4.2 X 5 is my guess. Jokinen could be the big ticket out of there, but I'd keep him too. I maintain that that team is a lot better than they look.

stempniaksen

stempniaksen
Veteran
Veteran

SpezDispenser wrote:
stempniaksen wrote:

The difference is that Ottawa had pieces rebound/step up this season to make them competitive, while there aren't as many in options in Carolina (although it looked bleak for the Sens at this time last year too).

Still think they'll keep Ruutu - last minute signing of 4.2 X 5 is my guess. Jokinen could be the big ticket out of there, but I'd keep him too. I maintain that that team is a lot better than they look.

They have terrible offensive depth and arguably no top pairing defenceman. They have some nice pieces, but they need a lot of help in a lot of areas. Maybe some of their prospects fills those gaps, but I think they need to make some major changes regardless.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

stempniaksen wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:
stempniaksen wrote:

The difference is that Ottawa had pieces rebound/step up this season to make them competitive, while there aren't as many in options in Carolina (although it looked bleak for the Sens at this time last year too).

They have terrible offensive depth and arguably no top pairing defenceman. They have some nice pieces, but they need a lot of help in a lot of areas. Maybe some of their prospects fills those gaps, but I think they need to make some major changes regardless.

Fair enough, I'd say Pitkanen is a quasi top pairing guy, but they have a real dearth of that. McBain might be one day, but he isn't yet. Pitkanen/Gleason is good if you have powerful 2nd pairing guys - which isn't Allen/Spacek. They still have some work do, don't get me wrong, but I think they have a decent core of guys to try to re-tool around.

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star

SpezDispenser wrote:
stempniaksen wrote:

There's no way he gets a $4M+ contract. If he does, there's no way he gets more than 2 years.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

spader wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:
stempniaksen wrote:

There's no way he gets a $4M+ contract. If he does, there's no way he gets more than 2 years.

Wanna bet? Smile

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star

SpezDispenser wrote:
spader wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:
stempniaksen wrote:

Wanna bet? Smile

Sure If he re-signs for $4M+ and over 2 years, you win. Any other scenario, I win.

Impatient Name the stakes.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 35 of 67]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 19 ... 34, 35, 36 ... 51 ... 67  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum