GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Habs fire Martin; Cunneyworth named as H.C.

+12
Hoags
tim1_2
shabbs
spader
SeawaySensFan
Ev
wprager
PTFlea
dennycrane
SensHulk
LeCaptain
Riprock
16 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down  Message [Page 4 of 6]

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

Dash wrote:Yeah but you said "a while back" and times have changed, right? And this is the CHL, not NHL.

I'm skeptical to say the least.

I'm pretty sure it's happened in the CHL recently. The "while back" comment was for the NHL.

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

rooneypoo wrote:http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/news?slug=ap-canadienscoach-french

FTW, that's bat-Dung insane.

They might have a leg to stand on in Quebec City, if they pony up big money for the arena. But even then, that almost never happens even with a big investor.

shabbs

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Gauthier apologizes to fans for hiring a non-French speaking Coach...

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=384029

Wow. Unbelievable. Cunneyworth must feel so awesome right now, with the Habs organization tripping over itself apologizing for this.

Classless.

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

shabbs wrote:Gauthier apologizes to fans for hiring a non-French speaking Coach...

Wow. Unbelievable. Cunneyworth must feel so awesome right now, with the Habs organization tripping over itself apologizing for this.

Classless.

Laugh1 Laughing3

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

shabbs wrote:Gauthier apologizes to fans for hiring a non-French speaking Coach...

Classless.

Wow, I can't believe they are still letting this guy speak for the team. I didn't think he could out-do himself after his explanation on why Pearn was fired.

Besides, I'm not convinced that it is the French fan that's keeping the arena filled. I could be wrong, of course, but "Ole" is a soccer chant, and with the likes of Gionta, Cammalleri, Pacioretty and Campoli in the lineup, makes you wonder if, perhaps, Cunneyworth should be learning how to say "Grazie" during interviews.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

They need to jettison Gauthier as soon as possible. This is a disaster that is getting worse by the day.

As much as I love to see the Habs implode, this is no way to treat your Head Coach.

dennycrane

dennycrane
Veteran
Veteran

If I'm a free agent, I would never go to Montreal. Unless I'm terrible or injury-prone, at which point I would be overpaid.

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

shabbs wrote:They need to jettison Gauthier as soon as possible. This is a disaster that is getting worse by the day.

As much as I love to see the Habs implode, this is no way to treat your Head Coach.

The Ghost is quite a character.

Hoags

Hoags
All-Star
All-Star

SeawaySensFan wrote:
The Ghost is quite a character.

Habs fire Martin; Cunneyworth named as H.C. - Page 4 Gmpg-diabolic

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Classless.

How can he not fire Cunneyworth now? I'm sorry I made a mistake but we're gonna live with it anyway? Cunneyworth or Gauthier have gotta go after that no?

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Well, they'll continue to emphasize that he is an "interim head coach" only and that the plan was to always replace him with a fully bilingual coach.

Usually though, interim coaches get their interim tag removed and they become the real deal after they've proven they can handle it.

In this case, it seems Cunneyworth's fate has been determined already. Best thing for him is to do as good a job as he can to show that he can be a Head Coach and hope to land one elsewhere once Montreal brings in "their man" and they let him go.

NEELY

Mod
Mod

UFA's don't go there anyways because they take home less than 1/2 of what they actually make. 48% Income tax, add on CPP, EI, other BS. Their main concern is the French, not hockey or winning... Glad they are in the Sens division for the next *** years.

No one in their right mind will ever sign in Montreal unless they are in desperate need of an NHL job.

Hoags

Hoags
All-Star
All-Star

NEELY wrote:
No one in their right mind will ever sign in Montreal unless they are in desperate need of an NHL job.

Cammalleri signed, and he wasn't exactly desperate for a job at the time.

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

What a Dung way to treat an employee.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

NEELY wrote:UFA's don't go there anyways because they take home less than 1/2 of what they actually make. 48% Income tax, add on CPP, EI, other BS. Their main concern is the French, not hockey or winning... Glad they are in the Sens division for the next *** years.

NEELY, I know you are an accountant, so I'm a bit surprised by this. Pretty much all players have salary deferment deals in place, plus there are other schemes available to them (that most of us simply cannot afford). Playing in Montreal (or in any Canadian market) you are also more likely to make some money on the side with advertising -- unless you are a Crosby or Ovechkin, there's little chance of doing this in most US markets). Also, and I'm not exactly sure of this, but if you maintain a second place of residence and spend the off-season there, does that change your tax situation at all?

dennycrane

dennycrane
Veteran
Veteran

Hoags wrote:
NEELY wrote:

That was 3-4 years ago. Not only is the tax issue in play but no one wants to go to a gong show. They may be able to turn it around in time for next summer if they fire Gauthier.

Subban and Price are due new contracts. Their happiness would be my # 1 priority if I owned the Habs.

NEELY

Mod
Mod

wprager wrote:
NEELY wrote:UFA's don't go there anyways because they take home less than 1/2 of what they actually make. 48% Income tax, add on CPP, EI, other BS. Their main concern is the French, not hockey or winning... Glad they are in the Sens division for the next *** years.

NEELY, I know you are an accountant, so I'm a bit surprised by this. Pretty much all players have salary deferment deals in place, plus there are other schemes available to them (that most of us simply cannot afford). Playing in Montreal (or in any Canadian market) you are also more likely to make some money on the side with advertising -- unless you are a Crosby or Ovechkin, there's little chance of doing this in most US markets). Also, and I'm not exactly sure of this, but if you maintain a second place of residence and spend the off-season there, does that change your tax situation at all?

Depends. If you live in Ontario say and you work in Quebec, you pay Ontario taxes. I know for sure that someone who was playing in Montreal making around 4 mil a year got traded out West and was taking home an extra 1 mil a year. There is no benefit to signing in Montreal, none. Only hope they have is developing players within their system and they stay loyal to the team but one bad season and the media and fans always come close to driving them out, if not drive them out totally.

Also, FYI, being an accountant means very little in the tax world, I know the basic's but I deal with taxes so little it's not even worth my time to really educate myself to the point I know anything other than GST, HST/PST, and income tax brackets.

NEELY

Mod
Mod

dennycrane wrote:
Hoags wrote:
NEELY wrote:

That was 3-4 years ago. Not only is the tax issue in play but no one wants to go to a gong show. They may be able to turn it around in time for next summer if they fire Gauthier.

Subban and Price are due new contracts. Their happiness would be my # 1 priority if I owned the Habs.

Wouldn't worry too much about that guy. There are a ton of Subban's out there. One of the most over hyped players in a long time. One because he is black (yes I said it) two because he played for Team Canada, three because he plays in Montreal, and four because the media loves him because he doesn't shut his mouth.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 4 of 6]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum