GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

With Martin Havlat, What's Next for The Wild?

+3
asq2
Cap'n Clutch
davetherave
7 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

With a new GM in place, but no replacement yet for departed Coach Jacques Lemaire, there are plenty of questions about the Minnesota Wild.

Yahoo Sports takes a look at where the Wild are at:

Inside Shots: Minnesota Wild Team Report
Yahoo Sports, June 3 2009

After 32 applicants, 12 interviews and tons of due diligence, owner Craig Leipold hired a bright, young hockey mind who’d been preparing for this opportunity for his entire 42 years on Earth.

Chuck Fletcher, the son of Hall of Famer Cliff Fletcher, has been hired to lead the Wild into a new era as the team’s second general manager in history. He replaces Doug Risebrough, who was fired April 16.

Leipold called Fletcher the “total package.” He’s been an assistant GM for 16 years with Florida, Anaheim and Pittsburgh.

“I made it real clear to Chuck that he’s accountable for providing us a Stanley Cup-quality team,” Leipold said. “He has the complete flexibility and independence to build his own organization, including coaches, assistant coaches, hockey operations people, assistant GMs. This is his organization. I’m not going to meddle in it.”

Fletcher said the Wild will likely overhaul its system. Largely known for its conservative nature and stifling defensive system, Fletcher said the Wild will be more aggressive and up-tempo on and off the ice.

Leipold hopes this will sway big-name players to think of Minnesota as a premier destination in the NHL. The team has had trouble luring top free agents for years.

“We have everything to offer here,” Leipold said. “I think the system might have been something that held them back. I believe Chuck feels that way. Other (candidates) that came through felt that way, so I think this is like the missing piece. They’ll look at us in a different light now, and they’ll want to come play here.”

Fletcher has gotten rave reviews from around the NHL.

“I’m absolutely convinced he’s the right guy for that job,” said Maple Leafs GM Brian Burke, who had Fletcher as his assistant GM in Anaheim. “I don’t mean to imply there weren’t other worthy candidates, but he’s ready for this.

“He’s worked with teams who have played in the Stanley Cup Finals three different times (Florida, Anaheim and Pittsburgh). He missed a Cup by a year with us in Anaheim, and his paws were all over that team. He’s a good judge of talent. He’s done all the components of the GM job. He’s negotiated player contracts, he’s looked after farm systems, he’s worked on amateur and professional scouting. He’s basically done every job in the portfolio of being a GM.”

Season Highlight: After trailing 3-0 late in the second period March 5 at San Jose, the Wild stormed back to beat the Sharks 4-3 on
Mikko Koivu’s first career overtime winner. The highlight of the game was defenseman Marek Zidlicky tying the score at 3-3 in the third period with a bouncing shot from the red line that somehow got under Sharks goalie Brian Boucher.

Turning Point: There was no real specific turning point other than several of them. The Wild just simply could not get on a real winning streak all season. Until winning in Columbus on Saturday night, the Wild hadn’t won three games in a row since mid-November. It was too little, too late.

Notes, Quotes

New GM Chuck Fletcher’s first quest will be to hire a coach.

“You wouldn’t believe the list I have because I wanted to flush everybody out, so I’ve got coaches in junior, the American League, assistant coaches and former NHL coaches,” Fletcher said. “You don’t even know if you can get permission, you don’t even know if they’re interested, you don’t even know if they’re available.

“Realistically, I’m not going to interview 20 people because it’s a colossal waste of time.”

One day into his tenure, Fletcher already received permission to speak with San Jose Sharks assistant coach Todd Richards.

Fletcher, the former Pittsburgh Penguins assistant GM, originally hired Richards away from Milwaukee to coach Wilkes-Barre, the Penguins’ AHL affiliate.

“Our organization has a lot of respect for Todd—his intellect, his communication skills, his passion for the game. He pushes the pace,” Penguins GM Ray Shero told the Minneapolis Star Tribune. “One of the first things I heard back on Todd from Chuck was that our pregame skate was harder than some teams’ practices. He really pushes the pace and makes players better.

“He’ll be a great head coach in the NHL, I believe, for whoever will give him that opportunity. He’s got the right age, he’s got the right experience.”

One of the top names out there, Peter Laviolette, is interested in coaching the Wild. Laviolette led Carolina to a Stanley Cup in 2006.

“It’s a terrific, prime position for whoever gets the opportunity there, but nothing at this point officially has happened yet,” Laviolette told the Star Tribune. “I’m definitely interested in coaching again. Minnesota is one of the premier jobs out there, so if there was a possibility, it’s certainly something I’d like to explore.”

Other potential candidates include former Edmonton Oilers coach Craig MacTavish, Houston Aeros coach Kevin Constantine, Anaheim Ducks assistant coach Newell Brown, Detroit Red Wings assistant coach Paul MacLean, Chicago Blackhawks assistant coach John Torchetti, Portland Pirates coach Kevin Dineen and Manitoba Moose coach Scott Arniel.

Fletcher said he understands there are lofty expectations in Minnesota.

“I’ve been waiting my whole life,” he said. “This has been my dream since I realized I was a real bad hockey player at the age of 8. This is my way to the NHL because I couldn’t play. I said to somebody yesterday, ‘I don’t know how far I’ll hit the ball, but I guarantee you the bat won’t stay on my shoulder.’ I’ll take a good swing at it, and I feel I’m ready for it. I’m not daunted by it at all. It’s a challenge. It’s a great opportunity, too, and I think I can do great things here.”

Quote To Note: “I’m just trying to get information to make sure I’m not missing people I should be including and not including people I should be missing.”—Wild GM Chuck Fletcher, joking about the coaching hunt.

Roster Report

Most Valuable Player: There was much angst as the trade deadline approached about whether
Niklas Backstrom’s future was elsewhere, but on the day before, the Wild signed its backbone goaltender to a four-year, $24 million deal. Backstrom won a franchise-record 37 games and finished with a 2.33 goals-against average and .923 save percentage.

Most Disappointing Player: After a franchise-record 50 assists last season,
Pierre-Marc Bouchard assisted on 20 fewer goals this season and had only 46 points in 71 games. He was plagued by inconsistency this season, and this came after signing a five-year, $20.4 million deal in the offseason with a two-year oral no-trade clause.

Free Agent Focus: New GM Chuck Fletcher plans to reach out to free agent-to-be
Marian Gaborik. He already tried to get in contact with his agent, Ron Salcer.

“I definitely intend to reach out to Marian and Ron this week, say hello and see where the process goes from there,” Fletcher said. “I do think for any pending unrestricted free agent, one of the important determinations would be to know who the head coach is.

“I have spent time on that and I’ll spend time on that the next two or three weeks so we can shed some more light in the direction we want to go and provide valuable information to Marian what we have to offer. That’s a priority.”

The Wild re-signed D
John Scott to a one-year, one-way, $550,000 contract, but Gaborik, D Martin Skoula, D Marc-Andre Bergeron, LW Stephane Veilleux and D Kurtis Foster remain unrestricted free agents.

Veilleux, who represented himself in negotiations last summer, has hired agent Allan Walsh.

“Being an unrestricted free agent, you can’t really do it by yourself,” Veilleux said. “Agents are more involved and know the business more than I do. It’s important for my career to be represented July 1 by someone.”

Player News:

C
James Sheppard, who has underachieved so far in Minnesota, probably will not start next season in the minors. Because he has hit the 160-game threshold, Sheppard would have to clear waivers in order to be sent to AHL Houston. Colton Gillies, however, might start the year in the minors.

C
Benoit Pouliot still has an NHL future, in the opinion of Houston Aeros coach Kevin Constantine, even though he’s been as inconsistent in the minors as he has in the NHL.

“I’m still a believer in Pouliot because I see talent and improvement,” Constantine said. “I just think sometimes in pro sports we’re not allowed to be patient, so sometimes it’s like now or never. But I think the guy’s going to be a good player. I don’t know what role. Don’t know if it’ll be a first- or second-line center role, but I think there’s a role for him as he matures through the business.”

D
Brent Burns and G Niklas Backstrom, among other Wild players, attended new GM Chuck Fletcher’s introductory news conference.

Medical Watch:

G Niklas Backstrom underwent surgery on his left hip April 24, and the result was good news—it wasn’t as extensive as expected. His rehabilitation will take about three months rather than six, as feared.

D Marc-Andre Bergeron had successful back surgery on April 28 to repair a disk. He should be ready for next season.

LW
Andrew Brunette underwent surgery on his right knee April 16. The team said he played with torn ligaments in the knee during the second half of the season.

D Brent Burns missed the last 19 games of the season with a concussion. He’s still symptomatic.

RW Pierre-Marc Bouchard missed the last eight games of the season with a concussion.

D
Nick Schultz missed the last three games of the season with concussion-like symptoms.

LW
Derek Boogaard underwent surgery on his right shoulder April 21.

RW
Dan Fritsche missed the last game of the season with a dislocated clavicle.
---

So will the Wild go wild? Will they be a different kind of team next year? And will they be a playoff team again? What do they need, and what can we expect?

Over to you, GM Hockey Members...

Last edited by davetherave on Sat Jul 04, 2009 5:32 pm; edited 3 times in total

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I suspect an offensive style much like what happened after Jacques Martin left Ottawa.

- Unknown Author

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

Mario Tremblay is out, and Son of Fletch says he'll have a new bench boss shortly. Chuck says he's been gabbing with Gaborik's guy as well. From ESPN:

LEMAIRE DEPUTY NOT A CANDIDATE FOR THE WILD
AP/ESPN, JUNE 5, 2009

MINNEAPOLIS -- Chuck Fletcher is confident he'll hire a head coach for the Wild by the June 26 draft. In the two weeks since he was introduced as Minnesota's new general manager, Fletcher has been more focused on other matters.

But fret not, Wild fans. Fletcher has a head start on this. He comes from the Eastern Conference champion
Pittsburgh Penguins, where he and his boss went through the coaching change process just this year.

"I went through a pretty good internal review of what we were looking for," Fletcher said in a conference call with reporters Friday afternoon. "I feel like I've spent a lot of time the past few months assessing candidates and speaking to people. I don't think it's going to take a lot of time once I can devote all my time and attention to the matter."

Fletcher has spent most of his first days in charge speaking with existing staff and plotting strategy with team scouts for the upcoming draft and ensuing free agent and trading period. He said he'll be more aggressive toward the coach search process next week.

Fletcher won't talk about specifics. But the Star Tribune, citing unidentified sources, reported he has interviewed
San Jose Sharks assistant coach Todd Richards. Two other accomplished NHL head coaches, Peter Laviolette and Craig MacTavish, are currently out of work.

Cross Mario Tremblay off the list, though. The lead assistant under coach Jacques Lemaire during the franchise's first nine years, Tremblay was told by Fletcher last week he's not a candidate to succeed Lemaire. Fletcher praised Tremblay's work with the Wild, but said the two of them agreed he would leave now and not wait to be considered as an assistant by the new coach.

Penguins general manager Ray Shero fired coach Michel Therrien on Feb. 15 and called up Dan Bylsma from their top minor league affiliate to replace him. Fletcher was Shero's assistant for three years in Pittsburgh, which is currently playing the
Detroit Red Wings for the Stanley Cup.

Bylsma's success bodes well for Richards, who also fits in the up-and-comer category. He just finished his first season with the Sharks. Richards was a head coach in the American Hockey League for two years prior and an assistant in the AHL before that. He was a defenseman for the University of Minnesota in the late 1980s and played briefly for the Hartford Whalers.

Whoever the new coach is, he'll surely bring a different look than Lemaire's conservative system. Fletcher wants an aggressive, physical forecheck with a faster tempo, a style used by the Penguins and several other teams.

Marian Gaborik would fit well with that, though his return is uncertain.
Fletcher said he had an introductory conversation with the free agent-to-be, but declined to comment about a new contract for the star right wing.

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

I could see Saku joining his brother.

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

The view from Minneapolis-St.Paul:

MINNESOTA WILD GM PLANS FOR SWAP MEET
John Shipley, Minneapolis-St Paul Pioneer Press, June 6 2009

The NHL entry draft promises to be more interesting than usual for Wild fans. For Chuck Fletcher, the June 26-27 draft will be about more than stocking Minnesota's cupboard.

The Wild's new general manager is preparing to wheel and deal.

"It's my opinion that there will be more available by trade than in past years," Fletcher said Friday. "You have the free-agency avenue and the trade avenue to improve over the short run, and the draft is the best way to improve over the long run. I definitely want to improve in both areas."

Fletcher and the Wild's pro scouting department will finish three days of meetings today. A large part of the agenda has been rating potential free agents and targeting players they believe will be available in trade.

"The goal is to be as competitive as we can be next season while still adding prospects to the organization," he said. "It's a balance. There will be decisions we have to make as to what the best approach is."

But Fletcher made it clear he's eager to swap. With the salary cap likely to stay flat or go down, he said, several teams should be eager to part with quality players so they can free up cap space. And, he added, the Wild — roughly $12 million under last season's $56.7 million cap — have more flexibility than a lot of other teams.

"With free agents, it's always difficult to assume you're going to get who you want," Fletcher said. "One thing about the trade market: If you can make the trade before free agency starts, you assure yourself of filling that hole."

A call to Gaborik: Fletcher acknowledged he has spoken to Marian Gaborik but declined to say whether the two talked about the possibility of the star winger staying in Minnesota.

Gaborik, the Wild's all-time leading scorer with 231 goals among 459 points, is due to become an unrestricted free agent on July 1. When he was hired, Fletcher said he planned to reach out to Gaborik and his agent, Ron Salcer.

"I have had a conversation with Marian, as I have with many players on the club," Fletcher said. "At this point, I'd rather be less forthcoming with respect to dealing with agents, and I'll respectfully decline to give specifics on negotiations.

"This conversation was more a matter of introducing myself generally so he can see things are proceeding."

Gaborik can negotiate only with the Wild before July 1, but said at season's end he is most likely to become a free agent. Neither Gaborik nor Salcer could be reached for comment Friday.

Fletcher was asked if Gaborik gave him a sense of whether he might be willing to forgo free agency and re-sign with the Wild.

"I can't really comment on that," the GM said. "All I can tell you is I've had a conversation with Marian, which was not as much about the future as much as introducing myself and having a general conversation. That's a matter I'll take up more in depth later with Ron Salcer."

Coaching update: Fletcher has been interviewing coaching candidates the past week or so but said he wouldn't be close to hiring one until next week.

"This has not been a robust week for pursuing the coaching matter," he said.

Fletcher interviewed San Jose assistant coach Todd Richards, a former Gophers star and Minnesota native, last week. Other candidates include Peter Laviolette, who led Carolina to a Stanley Cup in 2006, former Edmonton coach Craig
MacTavish and possibly Detroit assistant Paul MacLean.

Fletcher worked with Richards in the Pittsburgh organization, and with MacLean in Anaheim.

"I don't think it will take a lot of time (to hire a coach) once I devote all my attention and time to it," he said. "Next week I'll pursue it more aggressively, and we'll see how it comes together from that point on."

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

EJ Hradek and Robert Vollman wonder about the Wild.

FLETCHER NEEDS TO FETCH SCORING
In need of goals, new GM should turn to Pittsburgh free agent
EJ Hradek and Robert Vollman/ESPN INSIDER June 22, 2009

Plugging holes: Minnesota Wild

With Martin Havlat, What's Next for The Wild? Min
The hole: Secondary scoring

Even if Minnesota comes to terms with potential free agent Marian Gaborik, it will be light on scoring. The Wild's offense had a GVT of -25.7 at even strength this past season, better than only the Islanders' and the Kings' offenses. Other than Mikko Koivu and Owen Nolan, the Wild had no forwards with a GVT higher than the mid-3s. It doesn't matter how well you play in your end of the ice if you create so few scoring threats on the other end.

The fix: Sign F Ruslan Fedotenko (unrestricted free agent, Penguins)

The Wild need a player such as Fedotenko who can contribute consistently at both ends of the ice. He has been overshadowed by his superstar teammates in Pittsburgh, so it's easy to miss how in just 65 games, Fedotenko had an impressive 6.6 offensive GVT. His 14-point efforts in two separate Stanley Cup-winning performances show that he can contribute at a higher level whenever called upon. The Wild could really score big by picking up an underrated secondary scorer like Fedotenko, and they wouldn't even need to break the bank.

E.J.'s take: New Wild GM Chuck Fletcher should be very familiar with Fedotenko, as they spent the past season together in Pittsburgh.

If Fletcher likes Fedotenko, who has scored more than 20 goals only once in his past eight NHL seasons, and the player decides to test the market, he could fit in Minny. If Fletcher isn't impressed by his game or if Fedotenko opts to sign a new deal with the champs, it obviously won't work.

I think Fedotenko can complement strong centers, as he did in both Tampa and Pittsburgh. I don't see those really high-end pivots in Minny. If I were Fletcher, I probably would want to spend my money elsewhere. That elsewhere might be to keep high-scoring LW Gaborik, who seems primed to test the open market. If he doesn't sign Gaborik, Fletcher might take a run at some other high-end free agents such as Henrik and Daniel Sedin or Marian Hossa.

Fletcher also would be wise to shop backup goalie Josh Harding, who could start for another team. He might be able to get a much-needed second-round draft pick and/or another asset who could provide depth for his new franchise.

Robert Vollman is a writer for Puck Prospectus. E.J. Hradek is a senior writer for ESPN The Magazine.

Note: A mainstay of Puck Prospectus's metrics is "Goals Versus Threshold" (GVT). The stat blends an array of offensive and defensive figures to measure the value, in terms of goals, a player contributes above what the marginal player would over the course of the season. A marginal player is one that could be replaced with a player of equivalent skill, e.g. from the minors. For instance, Evgeni Malkin had an offensive GVT of +18.9, a defensive GVT of +4.5 and a total GVT of +23.4 for the 2008-9 regular season, meaning that Malkin was worth 23.4 goals more than a marginal player over the course of the season, or worth about 0.3 additional goals per game. In the team context, GVT refers to performance above an NHL average team. For the regular season, the Detroit Red Wings had a +30.8 offensive GVT, a +15.1 defensive GVT, a -21.5 goaltending GVT, for a +24.4 total GVT. Therefore, at even strength, Detroit was 24.4 goals better than the average team.

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

Chuck, you do not want Ruslan Fedotenko, you want to trade Burns for Heatley, send your pick and Clutterbuck as well Smile

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

The Wild select a Minnesota native in mobile d-man Nick Leddy, and the RDS crew are scratching their heads over this one. But ex-Habs great Guy Lapointe apparently figures in this choice...

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

Wild columnist Michael Russo of the Minneapolis-St Paul Star-Tribune gives us the latest from his blog...

Chuck Fletcher: “Negotiations ongoing with Saku”

Posted on July 2nd, 2009 – 4:46 PM
By Michael Russo
http://blogs2.startribune.com/blogs/wildblog/

Just got off a conference call with Wild GM Chuck Fletcher, and shockingly, Fletcher openly admitted that he’s having ongoing negotiations with free agent Saku Koivu and talked extensively about Koivu.

Of course, we all know that the Wild is entrenched in trying to land Koivu. But take it from somebody who’s known Fletcher for 14 years: It’s amazing Fletcher would be so up front about that.

And yes, that’s probably a good thing.

I’ll transcribe and throw some more highlights up in a sec, but some real quick ones:
– Almost immediately after 11, agent Allan Walsh called the Wild and informed the team Havlat wanted to sign here. Greg Zanon also called the Wild, and that meant a lot to Fletcher because there’s no doubt in Fletcher’s mind they could have gotten better deals elsewhere.
– Fletcher admitted he felt pressure last night to get Havlat done and it would have been riskier not signing him than signing him to the six-year deal.
– Fletcher admitted he’s working on other things and would like to get one more defenseman and one more scoring forward.
– If Koivu doesn’t sign, he will likely go into camp with the current centermen because the rest of the free-agent centers aren’t attractive as No. 2 guys.

I’ll throw quotes up soon. There could be news tonight. Also, I’ll be on KSTP at 6:05 p.m.

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

Wild columnist Michael Russo maps out the landscape following the signing of Marty Havlat and tracking discussion with Saku Koivu.

Link to Havlat press conference video here: http://www.startribune.com/sports/wild/49894082.html?elr=KArks8c7PaP3E77K_3c::D3aDhUMEaPc:E7_ec7PaP3iUiD3aPc:_Yyc:aUHDYaGEP7eyckcUr

HAVLAT ALREADY FEELING AT HOME
The Wild winger met the media and received a welcome assist on new accommodations
Michael Russo, Minneapolis-St Paul Star Tribune, July 4, 2009

Since training camp doesn't start for more than two months, the Wild's biggest free-agent pickup had only two things to accomplish on his first day in Minnesota:

1) Find a place to live. 2) Pick a jersey number.

First, Martin Havlat received a phone call from now-former Wild star Marian Gaborik, who not only welcomed him to hockey-mad Minnesota but offered to sell Havlat his posh downtown Minneapolis condo.

"We are talking about," Havlat said, laughing.

Next objective was figuring out a way to strip No. 24, the number he's worn his entire career, off 6-7 Derek Boogaard.

"I think I will have to call Boogey," Havlat said. "I think he'll be the first guy I will talk to."

Boogaard, without cracking a smile, said he'd consider giving it up "if the price is right."

It must not have been: Havlat will wear No. 14.

Havlat, an explosive winger fresh off signing a six-year, $30 million deal, slipped on an "Iron Range Red" Wild sweater for the first time Friday. He asked with a big smile, "Do I look good? What do you think? Feels pretty good. Feels like a beginning of something new."

The Wild rounded out its seven-player defense corps with gritty defenseman Shane Hnidy, who signed a one-year, $750,000 contract. But winger Ruslan Fedotenko turned down a multiyear deal from the Wild to re-sign in Pittsburgh for one year, meaning the Wild will likely wait now to bring in another winger.

The team continues to be patient as free-agent center Saku Koivu takes his time deciding where he will sign. It's not looking good with Minnesota, and it doesn't appear to be so much about money as a concern about playing with his brother, Mikko.

"We've put a lot of conversations and time into it," GM Chuck Fletcher said. "Whatever decision he makes, I'm sure they'll be for good reasons."

If Saku Koivu doesn't sign and Fletcher can't make a trade, coach Todd Richards believes Pierre-Marc "Bouchard can be that guy" at No. 2 center.

Bouchard, a right winger in the NHL, is actually a natural center. He played center when he was Canadian Hockey League Player of the Year and led the CHL in scoring with 140 points for Chicoutimi of the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League in 2001-02.

If the Wild can't acquire a No. 2 center, Richards plans to talk with Bouchard in training camp to see how comfortable he would be switching to the middle.

Bouchard couldn't be reached for comment, but it is believed he would welcome the move.

"I feel Bouchard can be that guy, but it's going to be up to him to show us he can be that guy," Richards said. "Playing center, there is a lot of responsibility. But with our system, we aren't going to just require our centers to play down low. It's going to be a group of forwards. It may end up being the left winger playing low in D-zone coverage, and if that's the case, it should take a little bit of responsibility away from Bouchard."

Of Bouchard's 267 points, 190 are assists, so he could be a prototypical center because of his ability to stickhandle in tight areas and hold on to the puck long enough to draw defenders to him and open up ice for linemates.

If it's not Bouchard, it could be Benoit Pouliot, James Sheppard or Eric Belanger.

"There's a certain point in the free-agent market where the quality of center icemen drop off, so rather than signing someone just to sign someone, why not look at what options you have internally?" Fletcher said. "Are they the answer? Time will tell. We'll see in camp if we don't make an adjustment prior to that.

"If we could add the right guy, we'll do it. But center ice is a hard commodity to find. We've looked at several players through free agency and the trade market and we'll continue to scour. Hopefully we're still in on one player [Koivu], but we may have to be prepared to look at internal options if better ones don't present themselves. That's all we can do."

See video from the Wild news conference to introduce Martin Havlat at startribune.com/wild.

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

It seems that Minnesota coach Todd Richards is less than wild about Havlat, if this report from ESPN can be believed:

Wild players getting benched?

ESPN INSIDER, October 10 2009

Martin Havlat and Petr Sykora were benched for part of Thursday's game for poor play -- coach Todd Richards won't stand for players who "don't show up."

So he said that, if this happens, he won't hesitate to bench them.
Michael Russo of the Strib writes, "He said he's done giving players the benefit of the doubt. Show up or lose ice."

More from Minnesota Wild writer Michael Russo here:

http://blogs2.startribune.com/blogs/wildblog/2009/10/09/fridays-practice-update-hockey-equipment-distribution-saturday/

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star

davetherave wrote:.

Next objective was figuring out a way to strip No. 24, the number he's worn his entire career, off 6-7 Derek Boogaard.

Havlat wore number 24 his entire career? What was his time in Ottawa then (9), practice?

caissie_1

caissie_1
Veteran
Veteran

If Havlat struggles, long season for the Wild. Even with him they have a large task ahead.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Every second that goes by I feel the Hawks made a tremendous, bad-Karma inducing decision not to re-sign Havlat. I watched him absolutely take over the game vs the Ducks the other night - finishing with 3 assists in a 4-3 OT win. He's a special player - and with Chicago games I keep looking for him to appear...but alas...he's not gonna.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum