GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Whats Brewing in Beantown?

+3
Cronie
PKC
KaBoominator
7 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Whats Brewing in Beantown? Empty Whats Brewing in Beantown? Thu Sep 04, 2008 10:10 am

KaBoominator

KaBoominator
Prospect
Prospect

Whats Brewing in Beantown? Zdeno_chara
What’s Brewing in Beantown?

Written by Jeff Angus
Saturday, 16 August 2008

The Boston Bruins are definitely a team to watch this coming season. They are young, fast, and deep at forward – helped by the return of Patrice Bergeron, and are solid on the back end. Tim Thomas proved last year that he is a legitimate NHL goalie. He has one year left on his deal in Boston, which will coincide nicely with the debut of heavily touted Tuukka Rask in 2009-2010. What can be expected from Boston this season? Read on…

Up front, the Bruins will again be led by the slick Marc Savard. It took him a few years to establish himself among the best centers in the game, but he is definitely there now. Savard will return to 90+ points and is the straw that stirs the drink for the Bruins offense. Whoever he plays with (likely Sturm and Ryder) will see an increase in numbers. The Bruins paid a heavy price to get Ryder, especially after his poor season in 2007-2008. He is very familiar with coach Claude Julien from both Montreal and his junior days. Ryder’s shoot first mentality will complement Savard very well – look for him to return to 30 goals. Sturm is extremely consistent at 25-30 goals, so expect a total around there.

The second line will be aided by the return of Bergeron. He may start off at wing, thanks to the emergence of David Krejci. Bergeron is a horse who will produce 65 points at worst if he can stay healthy. He isn’t extremely flashy but is solid and has few – if any – holes in his game. Milan Lucic and Phil Kessel are also contenders to man the wings on this line. Both are young, both have upside (albeit much different), and both showed glimpses last year of what they could potentially become. Lucic has a heavy shot and an underrated eye for the offensive zone to go with his brute force, and Kessel can skate and stickhandle like a magician – he juts doesn’t think the game that well.

The third line will have some pop on it as well. Chuck Kobasew is a feisty winger with decent hands (he popped in 22 goals last year). Krejci will center this line if Bergeron takes the second line spot. The other spot will probably be filled by PJ Axelsson – but with the young Europeans in Boston (Soderberg in Sweden, and Nokelainen and Sobotka in Boston already), his days in the Spoked B may be numbered.

The defense is anchored by Zdeno Chara, who will probably break 50 points with the improved offense. Dennis Wideman is a workhorse who will see a lot of minutes, and youngster Matt Lashoff has lots of offensive upside as well. Beyond those three, the Bruins defense is made up of rock solid defensive guys like Aaron Ward and Andrew Alberts. Thomas will get the bulk of the starts in net, with Manny Fernandez seeing spot duty. He is coming off of an injury-plagued season and might be in tough to remain in the NHL if he cannot rebound.

Boston is being pegged as a non-playoff club by a few magazines and hockey personalities, but with their depth at forward and Chara commanding the blue line, I cannot see them missing the playoffs again. Look for Savard to rack up the assists playing with the talent that Boston possesses at wing. Krejci is the dark horse, but he may be pushed down the depth chart with Bergeron’s return to center.
Last Updated ( Saturday, 16 August 2008 )

2Whats Brewing in Beantown? Empty Re: Whats Brewing in Beantown? Thu Sep 04, 2008 10:16 am

PKC

PKC
All-Star
All-Star

Its probably those same magazines and hockey personalities that are all over the Atlantic Division bandwagon. Personally, I think they have no clue what they are talking about. If Boston can play the same rock solid defensive hockey they played last year, and Tim Thomas can still be a good netminder, then I don't see why they can't win the conference.
All around a great team, and I can't say enough about Lucic, the kid is going to be a beast.

3Whats Brewing in Beantown? Empty Re: Whats Brewing in Beantown? Thu Sep 04, 2008 10:19 am

Cronie

Cronie
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

See, I've been saying this all off-season. Boston is going to surprise a LOT of people this year, regardless of the new schedule that will inevitably see a few if not all Eastern teams get a little more banged up than usual.

If Bergeron is back on track and with their high of their series against Montreal still lingering, I'd say they'll come out just as hungry as the Sens... Except, Boston doesn't have NEARLY as much to prove as the Sens after their deplorable post-season, or joke-of-a-post-season. LOL

4Whats Brewing in Beantown? Empty Re: Whats Brewing in Beantown? Thu Sep 04, 2008 10:34 am

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Excellent! We have someone close to another team blogging.

This was sorely needed, thanks Wham!

I picked the Bs to finish 2nd in the Conference behind the Devils...and before you ask...yes, I follow hockey religiously. Time for a changing of the guard in the East (again).

5Whats Brewing in Beantown? Empty Re: Whats Brewing in Beantown? Thu Sep 04, 2008 10:56 am

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

Funny, no mention of Blake Wheeler, who must play top 6, since those were his demands when being recruited by teams when he became a UFA.

6Whats Brewing in Beantown? Empty Re: Whats Brewing in Beantown? Thu Sep 04, 2008 11:02 am

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

The B's definitely look scary on paper and if things fall nicely into place I see no reason why they can't win the East and not just the regular season either. What were their major weaknesses last season? I don't really know, other than the injury bug of course and adjusting to the new coach (who by the way I think will be even more of an impact next season). I'm just curious if there were problems with the PP and PK?? IF so could that rear it's ugly head and put a damper on the B's efforts?

- Unknown Author

7Whats Brewing in Beantown? Empty Re: Whats Brewing in Beantown? Thu Sep 04, 2008 12:48 pm

KaBoominator

KaBoominator
Prospect
Prospect

When it comes to Wheeler he is a question mark. There is no way he will be top 6 to start the year. He will be lucky to make the team as it stands now. There are quite a few extras right now. A move has to happen sooner or later especially with the signing of Yelle. Wheeler has a history with Kessel as they played together in college and were roomates, hence one of the reasons he chose to sign with the B's. I hope he can crack the lineup and surprise alot of people.

Another guy you prob won't see this year is Carl Soderberg. There is such tough competition to make the team on the few remaining spots he has chosen to stay in Europe another year. Its too bad cause given the ice time i think he could be a superstar. He was acquired from St. Louis in the Hannu Toivanen deal. I guess both teams are a wash at the moment.

The major weakesses last year were OFFENSE! They could always stay in those low scoring games and squeek out wins but they always had trouble getting goals. Hopefully with the addition of Ryder and Bergeron and getting a breakout year from Kessel and Looch these issues will be resolved. This should will also help the PP.

I also hope to see Fernandez come out of the gate with something to proove. If Thomas and Fernandez could be a decent combo for the year it would be great! Something like the Lemelin/Moog years.

8Whats Brewing in Beantown? Empty Re: Whats Brewing in Beantown? Thu Sep 04, 2008 12:56 pm

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

That brings me back. I was a big fan of Moog. I dunno why I just liked him for some reason.

- Unknown Author

9Whats Brewing in Beantown? Empty Re: Whats Brewing in Beantown? Thu Sep 04, 2008 1:16 pm

504Heater wrote:Excellent! We have someone close to another team blogging.

I picked the Bs to finish 2nd in the Conference behind the Devils...and before you ask...yes, I follow hockey religiously. Time for a changing of the guard in the East (again).

This might be a few years too early don't you think...

10Whats Brewing in Beantown? Empty Re: Whats Brewing in Beantown? Thu Sep 04, 2008 3:05 pm

KaBoominator

KaBoominator
Prospect
Prospect

furiousgreg wrote:

Last year was few years too early for the Habs was it not? The East is wide open. Predictions will be quite hard.

11Whats Brewing in Beantown? Empty Re: Whats Brewing in Beantown? Thu Sep 04, 2008 3:06 pm

KaBoominator

KaBoominator
Prospect
Prospect

Season Preview: Boston Bruins, Class of '08-'09

By Sean Leahy

NHL previews are often superfluous collections of popular opinions that, in the end, usually have no relation to how life actually works out. Which makes using stereotypical high-school yearbook superlatives and awards the appropriate template for Puck Daddy's 2008-09 NHL season previews, presented throughout September.
Last Semester (See Also, Bruins Eulogy): Eighth in the Eastern Conference (41-29-12, 94 points); lost to the Montreal Canadiens in the first round of the Stanley Cup playoffs (4-3). Supposedly in a rebuilding year, the Bruins surprised many in the East with their play, especially a few of their young forwards. Tim Thomas and company almost sent shockwaves through the Eastern Conference by taking the No. 1 seed Canadiens to a seventh game after being down 3-1 in the series.
Homecoming King (Top Player): Marc Savard, forward. A consistent playmaker who will help Michael Ryder rebound this season. When healthy, Savard is a threat to reach the 100-point plateau. He topped out at 97 and 96 points respectively in 05-06 with the Atlanta Thrashers and 06-07 in Boston.
Most Likely To Succeed (Potential Breakout): Milan Lucic, forward. Bruin fans fell in love with the 6-4, 220 lbs rookie in his first game last year when he fought Brad Winchester of the Stars. There's hope in Beantown that the adored fan-favorite is the next coming of Cam Neely. He can fight, score and shows plenty of heart night in and night out and was even voted as the teams "7th Man" by Bruins fans. The guy is even blog-friendly!

Exchange Students (Key New Additions): Blake Wheeler, Michael Ryder. Wheeler was drafted high by Wayne Gretzky and the Coyotes in 2004, but after rejecting a maximum entry-level deal earlier this summer, he became a free agent. Ryder has found success wherever Claude Julien has been, whether it's junior hockey, the AHL, or the Montreal Canadiens. Bruin fans will be hoping that reuniting with his old coach and playing alongside assist-master Marc Savard will help Ryder have a bounce back year.
Best Expulsion (Addition by Subtraction): The signings of Dennis Wideman and Michael Ryder put the Bruins over the salary cap and general manager Peter Chiarelli was wise to buy out Glen Murray's $4.5 million contract. There was no need to have a player in decline making that much money on a team building with plenty of youth.
Class Clowns (Pests and Pugilists): Besides Lucic, Shawn Thornton is one who's a fan of dropping the gloves, as displayed by his HockeyFights.com player card

Last edited by WhamBamCam on Thu Sep 04, 2008 3:12 pm; edited 3 times in total

12Whats Brewing in Beantown? Empty Re: Whats Brewing in Beantown? Thu Sep 04, 2008 3:06 pm

WhamBamCam wrote:
furiousgreg wrote:

Last year was few years too early for the Habs was it not? The East is wide open. Predictions will be quite hard.

Touche!

13Whats Brewing in Beantown? Empty Re: Whats Brewing in Beantown? Thu Sep 04, 2008 3:11 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

furiousgreg wrote:

Their main opposition is themselves. If they can score a little bit more, they've got it, if they stay the course, they'll come in 5th or so.

14Whats Brewing in Beantown? Empty Re: Whats Brewing in Beantown? Thu Sep 04, 2008 3:49 pm

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

PKC wrote:Its probably those same magazines and hockey personalities that are all over the Atlantic Division bandwagon. Personally, I think they have no clue what they are talking about. If Boston can play the same rock solid defensive hockey they played last year, and Tim Thomas can still be a good netminder, then I don't see why they can't win the conference.
All around a great team, and I can't say enough about Lucic, the kid is going to be a beast.

Jeff Angus is one of Dobber's guys, and a regular contributor to Dobber's annual fantasy guides. That gives him a lot of cred in my books.

15Whats Brewing in Beantown? Empty Re: Whats Brewing in Beantown? Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:17 pm

PKC

PKC
All-Star
All-Star

rooneypoo wrote:
PKC wrote:Its probably those same magazines and hockey personalities that are all over the Atlantic Division bandwagon. Personally, I think they have no clue what they are talking about. If Boston can play the same rock solid defensive hockey they played last year, and Tim Thomas can still be a good netminder, then I don't see why they can't win the conference.

Jeff Angus is one of Dobber's guys, and a regular contributor to Dobber's annual fantasy guides. That gives him a lot of cred in my books.

Yeah, he wrote the article. I'm referring to whoever he's referring to in his article as "magazines and hockey personalities". I doubt he'd reference his own opinion or magazine writings as merely some anonymous source of hockey projections.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum