GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

2012 NHL Draft

+24
Tuk Tuk
The Silfer Server
sens4win
rooneypoo
SensHulk
SensGirl11
Amnesia021
tim1_2
sandysensfan
cash
shabbs
spader
Flo The Action
ddt
PTFlea
Hoags
Number Twenty Nine
SeawaySensFan
NEELY
wprager
stempniaksen
Ev
LeCaptain
Riprock
28 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 19 ... 35, 36, 37 ... 51 ... 67  Next

Go down  Message [Page 36 of 67]

5262012 NHL Draft - Page 36 Empty Re: 2012 NHL Draft Sun Jun 17, 2012 8:58 am

NEELY

Mod
Mod

Riprock wrote:The London Knights are expected to select Oskar Dansk in the CHL import draft.

Great move by them.

5272012 NHL Draft - Page 36 Empty Re: 2012 NHL Draft Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:24 am

Ev

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Diddle London. Hope somebody else picks him now. Knights are shady scumbags.

5282012 NHL Draft - Page 36 Empty Re: 2012 NHL Draft Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:41 am

NEELY

Mod
Mod

Big Ev wrote:Diddle London. Hope somebody else picks him now. Knights are shady scumbags.

Tie Domi disagrees. That said, there is a reason why places like London get the better players... it's because they know how to develop them.

5292012 NHL Draft - Page 36 Empty Re: 2012 NHL Draft Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:47 am

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

NEELY wrote:
Big Ev wrote:Diddle London. Hope somebody else picks him now. Knights are shady scumbags.

Tie Domi disagrees. That said, there is a reason why places like London get the better players... it's because they know how to develop them.

Tie Domi disagrees about what?

And I'd the say reason London gets the better players is money. Rich owners, behind the scenes dealings. Illegal but effective.

5302012 NHL Draft - Page 36 Empty Re: 2012 NHL Draft Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:51 am

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

btw I'm not 100% serious...or am I?

Back to the draft: Oscar Dansk should see his stock rise a bit because of this. Should be late 1st to middle second. Lehner's stock rose a bit as a result of entering the OHL draft (not picking where he ends up though unlike some people).

5312012 NHL Draft - Page 36 Empty Re: 2012 NHL Draft Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:51 am

stempniaksen

stempniaksen
Veteran
Veteran

Big Ev wrote:btw I'm not 100% serious...or am I?

Back to the draft: Oscar Dansk should see his stock rise a bit because of this. Should be late 1st to middle second. Lehner's stock rose a bit as a result of entering the OHL draft (not picking where he ends up though unlike some people).

Only thing that will hurt him a bit is that there are potentially two better goaltending prospects in the same draft.

5322012 NHL Draft - Page 36 Empty Re: 2012 NHL Draft Sun Jun 17, 2012 12:53 pm

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

Ev I think you're conspiracy cap is too tight.

CHL teams really can't do all that much - you can't pay players anything more than the allowance the CHL grants, and a team can't threaten players, so...

What about 15/16 year old kids saying I won't play for you so don't pick me? That's the biggest problem.

5332012 NHL Draft - Page 36 Empty Re: 2012 NHL Draft Sun Jun 17, 2012 2:24 pm

NEELY

Mod
Mod

Riprock wrote:Ev I think you're conspiracy cap is too tight.

CHL teams really can't do all that much - you can't pay players anything more than the allowance the CHL grants, and a team can't threaten players, so...

What about 15/16 year old kids saying I won't play for you so don't pick me? That's the biggest problem.

And they all go to Kitchener or London, in some cases Ottawa.

5342012 NHL Draft - Page 36 Empty Re: 2012 NHL Draft Sun Jun 17, 2012 2:26 pm

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

But it's nothing about corruption and unethical practices - it is because they are notorious for being great places for developing young players into NHL players. You left out Windsor too, by the way.

Honestly, 15 year old kids shouldn't be calling the shots.

5352012 NHL Draft - Page 36 Empty Re: 2012 NHL Draft Sun Jun 17, 2012 2:38 pm

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Riprock wrote:Ev I think you're conspiracy cap is too tight.

Yeah I fully agree with you. Just saying, sometimes in cases like Mikhail Grigorenko going to Quebec, you know there's probably a chance of some money being exchanged behind the scenes. I know they can't do that, but it's like NCAA teams "alledgedly" giving merch and money to recruit players illegally. But you're right, it's more of these guys choosing where they want to play. Hence why Grigs was not 1st overall in the import draft.

5362012 NHL Draft - Page 36 Empty Re: 2012 NHL Draft Sun Jun 17, 2012 5:56 pm

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

I thought/think a school can give clothes... gifts have to be under certain amount I think.

5372012 NHL Draft - Page 36 Empty Re: 2012 NHL Draft Sun Jun 17, 2012 5:57 pm

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

nevermind, apparently not. That is pretty silly though. Can't even get a sweater and or a hat.

5382012 NHL Draft - Page 36 Empty Re: 2012 NHL Draft Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:21 pm

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

Suddenly less concerned if we move our 1st round pick this year...

http://www.ottawasun.com/2012/06/16/draft-could-be-weakest-in-years

5392012 NHL Draft - Page 36 Empty Re: 2012 NHL Draft Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:40 pm

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

rooneypoo wrote:Suddenly less concerned if we move our 1st round pick this year...

Well firstly I'd look at the writer of the article. I'm not sure he has the greatest sources in the hockey world.

Secondly, I find that teams' opinion of a draft depend on where they end up. Team picking Top 5? "Draft is amazing at the top". Team with no pick at all in the first round? "Draft is weak". Teams picking in the middle? "Not the deepest, drops off right around where we pick". Pierre Dorion of the Sens who hold the 15th overall? "We like 14 guys". Hmm what a coincidence Pierre. Also, it seems that every year the next year's draft is the "stronger one".

Anyways, I think the statement that there is no Ryan Nugent-Hopkins or Gabriel Landeskog in the draft is false. The top end of this draft is just as good as last year, although I do prefer last year's. Dorion himself said it is an ok draft.

At the end of the day, you will get a good player with your 1st if you have a good staff. I think it's really that simple. The weak draft excuse is used by teams who need the excuse. Just my opinion.

With the NHL draft, I don't think anyone can be 100% confident saying this draft is weak or this draft is good. Everything changes. These players are 17-18 years old. It's not like the NFL or NBA where all the players are stepping right into the league right after being drafted.

Based on who I've seen and heard about, you're getting a good player at 15 for sure.

5402012 NHL Draft - Page 36 Empty Re: 2012 NHL Draft Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:00 pm

stempniaksen

stempniaksen
Veteran
Veteran

There are no "sexy" Canadian picks like a Taylor Hall, or Tyler Seguin or Ryan Nugent Hopinks, so that will automatically make it look weaker in some peoples eyes. I think the defensive depth of this draft is better than recent years though, and there are still some top end guys availabel high int he draft.

5412012 NHL Draft - Page 36 Empty Re: 2012 NHL Draft Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:45 pm

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star

Big Ev wrote:
rooneypoo wrote:Suddenly less concerned if we move our 1st round pick this year...

Well firstly I'd look at the writer of the article. I'm not sure he has the greatest sources in the hockey world.

Secondly, I find that teams' opinion of a draft depend on where they end up. Team picking Top 5? "Draft is amazing at the top". Team with no pick at all in the first round? "Draft is weak". Teams picking in the middle? "Not the deepest, drops off right around where we pick". Pierre Dorion of the Sens who hold the 15th overall? "We like 14 guys". Hmm what a coincidence Pierre. Also, it seems that every year the next year's draft is the "stronger one".

Anyways, I think the statement that there is no Ryan Nugent-Hopkins or Gabriel Landeskog in the draft is false. The top end of this draft is just as good as last year, although I do prefer last year's. Dorion himself said it is an ok draft.

At the end of the day, you will get a good player with your 1st if you have a good staff. I think it's really that simple. The weak draft excuse is used by teams who need the excuse. Just my opinion.

With the NHL draft, I don't think anyone can be 100% confident saying this draft is weak or this draft is good. Everything changes. These players are 17-18 years old. It's not like the NFL or NBA where all the players are stepping right into the league right after being drafted.

Based on who I've seen and heard about, you're getting a good player at 15 for sure.

stempniaksen wrote:There are no "sexy" Canadian picks like a Taylor Hall, or Tyler Seguin or Ryan Nugent Hopinks, so that will automatically make it look weaker in some peoples eyes. I think the defensive depth of this draft is better than recent years though, and there are still some top end guys availabel high int he draft.

I think part of the problem is that there's Nail and then everyone else. The fact that there isn't any competition for that top spot makes it seem weaker as well.

Meh. I don't know enough about the prospects to know, but I've only heard that this draft is weaker than previous years, so I'd assume that's true.

Also, Ev, that sentence that I bolded is absolutely true and absolutely irrelevant. It isn't about being 100%--of course no one can be 100% sure about the unknown quantities in the draft--the fact is that it isn't just GMs saying that the draft class is weak. Everyone seems to be making that same judgement. Of course no one is 100% sure, but it certainly sounds like this draft class will be weaker than others.

5422012 NHL Draft - Page 36 Empty Re: 2012 NHL Draft Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:59 pm

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star

FWIW, there's a poll at the end of the article that Dr. Poo posted. The question is "Do you think that this is the weakest draft in years?" The answer options are "yes," "no," and "unsure." Responses are split evenly at 33% each. I guess there isn't as much of a consensus as I suggested.

Who knows? Shrug I guess we'll see.

5432012 NHL Draft - Page 36 Empty Re: 2012 NHL Draft Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:00 am

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

There is competition for that top spot. Many people believe Galchenyuk may end up being the better player, and that he might have been 1st overall if he wasn't injured. Also, it looks like the Oilers might be selecting Ryan Murray anyway. Part of why people are saying it's weak is in part due to the fact that not everyone is in love with Yakupov.

Point is, guys like Redline Report say the draft is weak almost every year. Last year's draft was supposed to be weaker than this one, yet now 1 year later, it's looking pretty damn deep compared to 2012. You've got studs like Brandon Saad and Ty Rattie and Shane Prince etc. being 2nd round picks.

I bet the same will happen next year too. "This draft is weaker than once thought. 2012 is so much stronger".

With the amount of injuries in this draft class, teams are going to get steals. Once the players hit the ice and truly develop, the class is gonna look better. It might not be the best, but I don't think it's weak like 2007 for example.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 36 of 67]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 19 ... 35, 36, 37 ... 51 ... 67  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum