GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Game Day - Buffalo @ Ottawa, 7:00PM, Saturday, Movember 5, 2011

+15
rooneypoo
SeawaySensFan
NEELY
LeCaptain
PTFlea
wprager
Hoags
Ev
SensHulk
shabbs
The Silfer Server
sandysensfan
garblar
Flo The Action
Riprock
19 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down  Message [Page 5 of 7]

LeCaptain

All-Star
All-Star

wprager wrote:
Peggy wrote:Zibanejad could have played in Binghamton this year, so yeah he can play next year in Bingo as well. He doesn't have a SEL contract for next year.

Fact: Sean Couturier has scored 4 out of his 5 goals in garbage time. He scored last night to put the Flyers ahead 6-0, and then again to put them ahead 9-1. He scored against Ottawa to put Phily ahead 5-1. And he scored against the Caps to make the score 5-2 in favour of Washington. He has rarely been on the ice for offensive situations this year. They are making him a penalty killer.

No, I meant this year -- could he play in Bingo when the SEL season is done? It's only a 55-game season.

As for Couturier, he's putting the puck in the net, as a defensive player. He's showing some skill. He's stuck around on a contending team.

Edit: I really hate saying this, but you could say Zibanejad scored 0 of his 0 goals in game winning situations.

Nah he's not shown any offensive burst at all (Couturier I mean). That team is stacked, I mean Maxime Talbot also has 8 pts...

The only guy who is really tearing it from that draft is the 1st overall pick. He's the definition of "making guys around better" and probably the MVP on the offense already.

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

spader wrote:As much as we may not want to believe it, Alfie falls into the "probable" category. The chances of him choosing to retire with one year left on his contract get higher with every injury.

With the way he looked early this season, I think he could play strictly PP and be effective. Sprinkle in some 5 on 5 time and I really think he'll come back, I simply don't see he wouldn't unless his back acts up IMO.

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

wprager wrote:
Foligno is on the bubble IYO? I'd say he is more likely to be in the lineup than Alfredsson. Can't believe I just said that. Makes me want to Puking2 but there it is. I also see you're missing Butler (who is still under contract). Winchester and Konopka are UFAs so I think they'll be moving along. Carkner, as well, and I think he will be gone, also. They'll never pay him what he could get on the open market. He'd be a great depth guy for a playoff bound team to pick up.

I think Foligno's on the bubble here, yeah. Where does he fit into all of this? I guess he could play on the 3rd line with Z.Smith and Condra, but then that shifts Daugavins to the 4th - and I'm not sure that's the right thing to do. We'll see I guess...

I did forget Butler, I guess....he hasn't impressed any of us really - although he's been better since returning from injury. I'd say he has a less than stellar chance of being on next year's team.

As for Winchester, I think Mac likes him a lot, so that could change his status and earn him another contract if he wants to stay. If nothing more, I'd keep him as a reserve forward, those kind of hard-working, pluggers are really important.

cash

Sophomore
Sophomore

SpezDispenser wrote:
wprager wrote:
Foligno is on the bubble IYO? I'd say he is more likely to be in the lineup than Alfredsson. Can't believe I just said that. Makes me want to Puking2 but there it is. I also see you're missing Butler (who is still under contract). Winchester and Konopka are UFAs so I think they'll be moving along. Carkner, as well, and I think he will be gone, also. They'll never pay him what he could get on the open market. He'd be a great depth guy for a playoff bound team to pick up.

I think Foligno's on the bubble here, yeah. Where does he fit into all of this? I guess he could play on the 3rd line with Z.Smith and Condra, but then that shifts Daugavins to the 4th - and I'm not sure that's the right thing to do. We'll see I guess...

I did forget Butler, I guess....he hasn't impressed any of us really - although he's been better since returning from injury. I'd say he has a less than stellar chance of being on next year's team.

As for Winchester, I think Mac likes him a lot, so that could change his status and earn him another contract if he wants to stay. If nothing more, I'd keep him as a reserve forward, those kind of hard-working, pluggers are really important.
Spezza, Michalek, Greening, Condra, Smith, Silfverberg, Neil (7 all but guaranteed to be on next years team)

Regin, Foligno, Da Costa, Zibanejad (4 very likely barring trade)

Alfie, Filatov, Butler, Daug, Hoffman, Eventual 1st (question marks)

Grant, Petersson, Dziur, Stone, Prince, Pageau (less likely, outside chance)

I don't see how there's any room for a UFA, re-signing or otherwise. Especially one who isn't a legit top-6 talent.

Also, either some of those names take big steps (the very likely category, especially) or we're still a good year away from truly competing for the division.

NEELY

Mod
Mod

I can still see Murray going out and signing Penner to play in a top 6 role next season, especially if Alfi doesn't play past this year.

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Parise FTW

SensHulk

SensHulk
All-Star
All-Star

tim1_2 wrote:Parise FTW

he's still gonna be RFA though...

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Michallica wrote:

You, sir, are incorrect.

SensHulk

SensHulk
All-Star
All-Star

tim1_2 wrote:
Michallica wrote:

You, sir, are incorrect.

Well I'll be.....UF-fuckin-A! Never felt so good to be wrong. Ahhhhh!

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Michallica wrote:
tim1_2 wrote:
Michallica wrote:

You, sir, are incorrect.

Well I'll be.....UF-fuckin-A! Never felt so good to be wrong. Ahhhhh!

I am of two minds on Parise.

On one hand, with the CBA set to expire and the future uncertain, Parise may be tempted to resign with NJ.

On the other hand, who wants to live in NJ? Also, he could potentially get more money and longer term from another team.

Hoags

Hoags
All-Star
All-Star

NEELY wrote:I can still see Murray going out and signing Penner to play in a top 6 role next season, especially if Alfi doesn't play past this year.

It would take a Leino type contract, not worth it for a guy like Penner. Seeing the kind of contracts being handed out I'd rather Murray stay away from free agency.

Can't imagine any top FA like Parise signing in Ottawa when he'll be able to sign with just about any team in the league for just about whatever amount/term he wants.

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Hoags wrote:
NEELY wrote:I can still see Murray going out and signing Penner to play in a top 6 role next season, especially if Alfi doesn't play past this year.

It would take a Leino type contract, not worth it for a guy like Penner. Seeing the kind of contracts being handed out I'd rather Murray stay away from free agency.

Can't imagine any top FA like Parise signing in Ottawa when he'll be able to sign with just about any team in the league for just about whatever amount/term he wants.

Meh. Some of those teams have already filled out their cap space. Ottawa can go big and long-term if they want, and probably outbid most teams. It'll be interesting to speculate, assuming he does hit free agency.

SensHulk

SensHulk
All-Star
All-Star

we'll be in a position though to throw a monster contract at him to get his attention. If he doesn't bite, move onto plan B I suppose, what else? But to be in that position will be good. I realize we need to re-sign Karlsson, but even then I think we'll have enough dough to shell out at Parise.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Michallica wrote:we'll be in a position though to throw a monster contract at him to get his attention. If he doesn't bite, move onto plan B I suppose, what else? But to be in that position will be good. I realize we need to re-sign Karlsson, but even then I think we'll have enough dough to shell out at Parise.

A novel idea might be to not throw money at anyone else if we can't land Parise - and use Z-Bad and Silfverberg, then hope there's a surprise at camp, like perhaps Hoffman or maybe even Filatov.

Hoags

Hoags
All-Star
All-Star

Michallica wrote:we'll be in a position though to throw a monster contract at him to get his attention. If he doesn't bite, move onto plan B I suppose, what else? But to be in that position will be good. I realize we need to re-sign Karlsson, but even then I think we'll have enough dough to shell out at Parise.

He'll sign for less with a winning team, he's not going to sign a monster contract in his prime with a rebuilding team.

We're near the bottom of the list as far as attracting free agents, doesn't matter what we offer.

SpezDispenser wrote:
A novel idea might be to not throw money at anyone else if we can't land Parise - and use Z-Bad and Silfverberg, then hope there's a surprise at camp, like perhaps Hoffman or maybe even Filatov.

Build from within, that's how we did it over a decade ago to get ourselves out of the basement and that's how we should do it again.

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Hoags wrote:
Build from within, that's how we did it over a decade ago to get ourselves out of the basement and that's how we should do it again.

That's partially true, but you also need to make good deals/signings as well. A key component (as much as I hate to say it) to our Finals team was Heatley. We got him through trade. You need to build from within, yes, but you also need to make smart FA signings and trades. There's no one single path to being a champ, and there's nothing wrong with shelling out big bucks to a free agent if it's the right guy. And we've all seen what a legit sniper can do alongside Spezza.

Da lil Guy

Da lil Guy
Rookie
Rookie

But we got Heatley in a one-for-one trade for Hossa - a guy we developed.

Doesn't diminish the point, but you still need to develop players if you want to be able to trade for the guys you need.

Problem with free agency is the need to overpay (...and the fact that Ottawa may not be a top destination for free agents).

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Ya, you guys are right. Why try to sign one of the best snipers in the league. Let's just wait.

Gag

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 5 of 7]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum