GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Sens Sunday Roundup

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

"Never doubt" has become the unofficial slogan for this Senators team -- some of the players were heard shouting the phrase after Foligno's late heroics.

"I think it's a good expression," MacLean said. "To me, if you come here every day, and you're going to do it right, good things are going to go your way."

Yeah, no kidding. Those quotes came from an Erin Nicks article on NHL.com (http://www.nhl.com/ice/recap.htm?id=2011020130) and are 100% fitting for the Sens. As mentioned many times, they seem not to realize they should be dead and buried, something that is characterized in players like Colin Greening, Milan Michalek, Erik Condra, Z.Smith and others, and why should they? Last year all of those players, save Michalek, were busy battling the long odds in the Calder Cup, the AHL equivalent to the Stanley Cup. Down 3-1 in the first round, they had to fight through overtime after overtime (3 in a row) in order to move to the second round. They would eventually grind their way to the first championship in B-Sens history, so don't tell them they should quit anytime soon.

Player Notes:

Colin Greening - 7 points in 11 games is stellar for a second year NHLer playing in his rookie season, but it's really not all about the points with Greening. He's a big, fast, hard hitting power forward who loves to shield the goalie from seeing much of the play in front of him. Try to move him out of the front of the net, it's not easy when he's 6'3", 215+. People warn not to overrate him and to take it slow, but what's not to get excited about here? He's got all the tools - although he's still developing his NHL scoring hands presumably, he's got the size, he's got the drive, the smarts, the speed, the heavy shot. You're allowed to be excited about this one.

Erik Karlsson - averaging the 3rd most time-on-ice in the NHL, tops in assists, tops in D-man scoring, this kid is the definition of a stud. He's fast, great offensive instinct obviously and is already out there in all situations. While Karlsson still has work to do defensively, his play in the D zone has been vastly improved recently.

Milan Michalek - everything you can say about Colin Greening, you can say about Michalek - except that Michalek seems to have found his scoring touch with 7 goals in 11 games. Yeah...he's found something alright! His goal to tie the game vs the Rangers on Saturday was a thing of size, power, drive and perseverance.

Jason Spezza - I'm nervous to put him in here even though he's got the 2nd most points in the entire league. He's played a much more complete game the last few, but although he's put up major points all year, he hasn't been as complete as he was last year upon returning from injury. The Sens need all the goals and assists they can get, but they also need a more complete game from Spezza. The huge plus is that Spezza appears to have found some major chemistry with Michalek and Greening - wingers who create time and space for him to make plays and that's made Spezza into a heck of a dangerous player.

The Sens bottom 6: Guys like Smith, Neil, Condra, Konopka, Winchester have all proven their worth in bringing energy ever single shift they play. You might beat the Sens, but it won't be easy - and these guys are a big part of that reason.

The Veterans: Gonchar and Kuba have turned their games around. And if there was one thing the Sens needed, it for them to get out of their funks and come back to what made them excellent NHL players. Both are hitting guys (yes, hitting), making good, smart decisions with the puck and are chipping in offensively. They make a huge difference when they play well.

K-Daug: Daugavins got called up to play in the NHL and he made sure he was noticed in a positive way on every shift. He looked to have his first NHL point last night until a goal that originally looked like it was Kuba's turned out to be tipped by Neil. Still, he brings energy, grit and some skill to the ice. Congrats to him on a solid stint thus far.

David Rundblad: If you're watching the Sens right now, you're seeing what I'm seeing: and that's a star in the making on the backend. The number of times he's effortlessly stepped past an opponent with a head fake or a little flick of the wrist is really incredible to watch. His defensive zone play appears to be getting better by the game as well. Rundblad looks like he'll be a fantastic addition to the Sens back end.

Craig Anderson: I think we all know he can be a little better, but without some of his saves, we'd never have made those comebacks. Winning in the shootout is a huge plus as well.

Last edited by SpezDispenser on Sun Oct 30, 2011 4:50 pm; edited 1 time in total

Share this post on: reddit

Riprock

Post Sun Oct 30, 2011 3:52 pm by Riprock

Spezza's not a complete player, and he's not going to be. To those that demand that or expect that from him, to even consider him good or great, it's just unreasonable.

He is what he is, and that is an offensive player. Everyone knows that, and there's nothing wrong with it. You need players like that. You can't have all offense or all defence, or a combination of both. Two-way players may be decent at scoring, but they are not going to take high risks, nor will they be expected to block shots or hit.

I think ti is time to just appreciate what he does, and realize you have got others that play complementary roles to balance that out.

PTFlea

Post Sun Oct 30, 2011 3:53 pm by PTFlea

Let me rephrase then: he was playing some pretty average (to poor) hockey up until recently. Now he's playing a real solid game.

Riprock

Post Sun Oct 30, 2011 4:03 pm by Riprock

I think he's been fine all year. He's produced - that's what he does.

It's like criticizing Volchenkov or Phillips for not being Erik Karlsson offensively.

It's just becoming a pet peeve of mine to keep banging the head against the wall with all these Spezza debates.

PTFlea

Post Sun Oct 30, 2011 4:15 pm by PTFlea

I think what continues those debates is that we see glimpses - sometimes prolonged glimpses - of just how effective Jason Spezza can be when he wants, whether it's with speed, with a forecheck, defensively, he's done it all in stretches and been even better than he normally is. So when people see what he could be - which is MUCH different than just a point producer, they get annoyed that they don't see it more often.

wprager

Post Sun Oct 30, 2011 4:17 pm by wprager

There's no way Greening is 6'2". He's listed as 6'3" on the Sens roster and last night, lining up next to Spezza for the anthems, he looked to be towering over him. Michalek is 6'2", Spezza is 6'3". Greening is either wearing really tall skates or he is closing in on 6'4".

Post Sun Oct 30, 2011 4:44 pm by cash

SpezDispenser wrote:Player Notes:

Erik Karlsson - averaging the 3rd most time-on-ice in the NHL, tops in assists, tops in D-man scoring, this kid is the definition of a stud. He's fast, great offensive instinct obviously and is already out there in all situations. While Karlsson still has work to do defensively, his play in the D zone has been vastly improved recently.
Craig Anderson: I think we all know he can be a little better, but without some of his saves, we'd never have made those comebacks. Winning in the shootout is a huge plus as well.
I don't know where you're getting those numbers from, but he's 14th in TOI. On another note, somehow Kovalchuk averages 3min more than any other forward.

Anderson has been fine. Anyone who says otherwise either hasn't been watching or doesn't know what he's talking about. His numbers are Dung, but he's been good.

PTFlea

Post Sun Oct 30, 2011 4:49 pm by PTFlea

cash wrote:

I don't know where you're getting those numbers from, but he's 14th in TOI. On another note, somehow Kovalchuk averages 3min more than any other forward.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/playerstats.htm?fetchKey=20122ALLSASAll&sort=timeOnIce&viewName=timeOnIce

PTFlea

Post Sun Oct 30, 2011 4:50 pm by PTFlea

wprager wrote:There's no way Greening is 6'2". He's listed as 6'3" on the Sens roster and last night, lining up next to Spezza for the anthems, he looked to be towering over him. Michalek is 6'2", Spezza is 6'3". Greening is either wearing really tall skates or he is closing in on 6'4".

Huh, they changed it to 6'3" everywhere, last year it was all over the place.

Post Sun Oct 30, 2011 5:20 pm by cash

SpezDispenser wrote:
cash wrote:

http://www.nhl.com/ice/playerstats.htm?fetchKey=20122ALLSASAll&sort=timeOnIce&viewName=timeOnIce
:crossarms: yeah but its TOI/game that means something. saying he has 3rd most TOI is just padding his stat line. For instance, the guy in 4th place has played one fewer game and has 3 minutes less in total TOI...

I guess it's an accurate statement, but Imo its misleading.

PTFlea

Post Sun Oct 30, 2011 5:25 pm by PTFlea

Fair enough.

Post  by Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum