GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

General Hockey Talk - Injuries, signings, factoids + other news from around the league

+26
cash
ddt
sens4win
SensGirl11
DefenceWinsChampionships
mattshock
dennycrane
asq2
stempniaksen
Hoags
Riprock
sandysensfan
LeCaptain
rooneypoo
SensHulk
spader
NEELY
TheAvatar
Da lil Guy
SeawaySensFan
tim1_2
Oglethorpe
Ev
PTFlea
wprager
shabbs
30 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 19 ... 34, 35, 36 ... 51 ... 67  Next

Go down  Message [Page 35 of 67]

Riprock

All-Star
All-Star

I don't know. I thought he was with Toronto (AHL) last year?

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Dash wrote:I don't know. I thought he was with Toronto (AHL) last year?

Yeah, I think you're right.

rooneypoo

All-Star
All-Star

SpezDispenser wrote:

TOR = the place where once good players go to Dung themselves.

DET = the place where once crappy / fringe players go to be reborn.

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

Hoags wrote:Gord Miller made some good points on twitter:

Not pointing fingers, but history shows that the vast majority of teams keeping 18 year olds in the lineup are making an enormous mistake.

For every Crosby who thrives, there are many who don't. No one's development was damaged by spending too much time in jr, college or AHL

And the players who get sent back after nine games are in a no-win situation. Do well and it's expected because they were in the NHL.

And for those who struggle, there are constant questions about what's wrong and confidence can be shattered. Good teams don't rush players.

Just to be clear, not saying that NO 18 year olds should play in the NHL. Pointing out that for the vast majority, it was a mistake.

Hmm, ok, but some names would be nice. Off the top of my head, though, here are some guys who stepped into the NHL at 18 and either looked terrific then or look terrific now (or both): Crosby, Doughty, Tavares, Hall, Stamkos, Skinner, Duchene, P. Kane

Who else has there been, recently? Seguin, Fowler, Burmistrov, E. Kane, Hedman, Boedker, Bogosian, Bailey, Sbisa, Gagner, J. Staal, Kessel (probably many more but I'm too lazy to search for them).

Kovalchuk, Marleau, Nash, Lecavalier, Gaborik, Bergeron also played in the NHL at 18 IIRC. Fleury played 21 games and obviously has turned out pretty well, much as SD is not a huge fan of him. But I suppose it must be said that Stefan also played at 18 too.

So there are some people who look like disappointments in that list (Sbisa, Bailey, Boedker, to some extent Bogosian and Gagner, and obviously Stefan) but it's hard to prove that this is because of their having played in the NHL too soon.

Still if I had my druthers ZibNasty would play another year in the SEL. Partially because I think Da Costa, while obviously an inferior prospect, outplayed him for the 2C spot. But we'll have to see after 9 games and I think he's here all year and I think we just have to trust in our management and coaching. We have some good, good hockey people making these decisions.

Hoags

Hoags
All-Star
All-Star

NEELY wrote:That trend is starting to fade. Rookie of the year last year was the 7th overall pick and was an all-star. Does't have to be Crosby.

I took it as the odds aren't that good (getting better every year like you said) that he'll succeed at 18 and that we won't ruin his development and confidence by throwing him onto a team expected to lose most of its games this year.

Also, can you "ruin" a prospect by sending him back to junior/SEL whatever the case may be ?

Should defer this to Murray and MacLean, but it seems you have nothing to lose and everything to gain by sending an 18 year old back. Most of the time it's done by bad (non-traditional market) teams who need all the help they can get and who need some sort of hype to sell tickets. I remember the "Seen Stamkos ?" campaign Tampa ran.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Stamkos WAS ready though. Barry Melrose was just Dung.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

rooneypoo wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:

While true, Fabian got pretty lucky here.

NEELY

Mod
Mod

Big Ev wrote:Stamkos WAS ready though. Barry Melrose was just Dung.

Even if he wasn't ready (lets just assume for this argument he wasnt) the next year he tore the league apart. Just because an 18 year old doesn't dominate doesn't mean he stops learning and comes out the next year with more confidence and experience.

David Perron is another guy that made it and he was heading for stardom until his concussion. Sam Gagne is a very good NHL player.

Look at guys that didn't get there right away like Turris or Johnsson. Those guys are not living up to being top 3 picks and were not rushed.

It all depends on the individual, simple as that. Zibanejad looks very ready but we'll see what they do after 9 games and how the team is doing itself.

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

Saw on steffeg's twitter, that Anders Forsberg was involved in an accident. Hit by a car while bicycling, but other than a headache and having to use crutches right now, he is doing well.

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

SpezDispenser wrote:
rooneypoo wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:

While true, Fabian got pretty lucky here.

I don't think anyone who plays themselves on DET's roster merely gets lucky. He must have had a great camp, pure and simple, and now he's got a great 2nd chance to revive his career on a team that is known for having just that same effect on people. Good on him.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

NEELY wrote:

Even if he wasn't ready (lets just assume for this argument he wasnt) the next year he tore the league apart. Just because an 18 year old doesn't dominate doesn't mean he stops learning and comes out the next year with more confidence and experience.

David Perron is another guy that made it and he was heading for stardom until his concussion. Sam Gagne is a very good NHL player.

Look at guys that didn't get there right away like Turris or Johnsson. Those guys are not living up to being top 3 picks and were not rushed.

It all depends on the individual, simple as that. Zibanejad looks very ready but we'll see what they do after 9 games and how the team is doing itself.

Turris was definitely rushed. He needed more than 1 year to develop in college. I still think he will have a good career (if he actually signs lol).

Sam Gagner was rushed as well. He has been OK but he could have used another year without a star Winger in kane to dish the puck to.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

SpezDispenser, can you go on HFBoards and call out that Nail2012 guy? His posts piss me off, and he has lke 500 in less than one month.

NEELY

Mod
Mod

Big Ev wrote:
NEELY wrote:

Turris was definitely rushed. He needed more than 1 year to develop in college. I still think he will have a good career (if he actually signs lol).

Sam Gagner was rushed as well. He has been OK but he could have used another year without a star Winger in kane to dish the puck to.

Gagne was ready and he is what he is, a 2nd line center. Turris still had time in The AHL, a lot of it, and he hasn't exactly been steller when called up.

Either way, it depends on the player and what the team feels is best for them.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Sean Avery waived by Rangers as per Brooksie.

Claim him, Murray.

General Hockey Talk - Injuries, signings, factoids + other news from around the league - Page 35 159628

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Big Ev wrote:Sean Avery waived by Rangers as per Brooksie.

Claim him, Murray.

General Hockey Talk - Injuries, signings, factoids + other news from around the league - Page 35 159628
He can join Redden...

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Claim him, Murray.

A big no thanks to that.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Claim him, Murray.

Good for the Rangers, they have a solid team, they don't need that trash on their team.

And even though you were kidding - neither do we.

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

shabbs wrote:

Claim him, Murray.

He can join Redden...

Brilliant. Redden's goodness in the community will serve as an ideal counterweight to Avery's douchebaggery. Balance.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 35 of 67]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 19 ... 34, 35, 36 ... 51 ... 67  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum