GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Article on Rundblad

+10
stempniaksen
Flo The Action
spader
Ev
DefenceWinsChampionships
PTFlea
tim1_2
wprager
shabbs
rooneypoo
14 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down  Message [Page 4 of 5]

46Article on Rundblad - Page 4 Empty Re: Article on Rundblad Sat Jul 23, 2011 10:42 am

Flo The Action

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

SpezDispenser wrote:
wprager wrote:
Phillips - Karlsson
Cowen - Gonchar
Lee - Rundblad

Carkner

Callups: Gryba (right-side), Wiercioch (left-side)

Is it bad that the only pairing I like is Cowen-Gonchar?
does that mean you hold no more faith in Phillips? I'm on the fence with phillips. I think he could be on the top pairing for the next 2 years. I think the lack of faith in the goalie had alot to do on how the team performed last year until Andersson came in. I've got higher expectations this year for our D core. rookies will make mistakes for sure but Phillips and gonshar should have better years

47Article on Rundblad - Page 4 Empty Re: Article on Rundblad Sat Jul 23, 2011 10:50 am

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

SpezDispenser wrote:
wprager wrote:
Phillips - Karlsson
Cowen - Gonchar
Lee - Rundblad

Carkner

Callups: Gryba (right-side), Wiercioch (left-side)

Is it bad that the only pairing I like is Cowen-Gonchar?

Yes. Yes, it is.

As Flo points out, we're expecting big-time rebound seasons from Phillips and Gonchar. I'm also expecting improvements from Karlsson. Someone with more time might want to do some stats digging to see what Phillips' and Gonchar's +/- per game was when paired with Karlsson. I read somewhere that Gonchar's +/- after January was a vast improvement over the first half of the season. How much of that is due to his apparent long ramp-up to adjust to a new team, and how much of that was on Karlsson? In any case, Karlsson also showed better defensive play late in the season -- at least on the PL, where he started playing regular minutes. Imagine if Phillips and Gonchar and Karlsson all turn in rebound seasons in the +/- department (we know they will be better simply because of Anderson.

48Article on Rundblad - Page 4 Empty Re: Article on Rundblad Sat Jul 23, 2011 10:51 am

NEELY

Mod
Mod

I don't think they should be breaking up that Lee/Phillips pairing depending on if Lee comes out of camp as good as he finished the season that is. A guy like Gryba may come into camp and just level everyone and make people take notice. So much can happen between now and camp it isn't even worth discussing potential pairings on the back end.

At the end of the day, like people have already discussed the right side is crowded. Gonchar, Karlsson, Lee, Rundblad, Gryba, and hell, even a guy like Wideman is a decent prospect who has a chance down the line.

49Article on Rundblad - Page 4 Empty Re: Article on Rundblad Sat Jul 23, 2011 11:27 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Minny could use a little help on the left. If their roster on Yahoo is up-to-date then they have Zidlicky, Spurgeon and Noreau as right-hand-shooting D-men.

Do they have an extra 2nd line center they need to unload?

50Article on Rundblad - Page 4 Empty Re: Article on Rundblad Sat Jul 23, 2011 12:02 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

wprager wrote:As Flo points out, we're expecting big-time rebound seasons from Phillips and Gonchar. I'm also expecting improvements from Karlsson.
Man, how many times do we say that each season... and how many times does it actually happen? We all want bigger things from all the players... Regin and Foligno come to mind too... Karlsson improving should be a solid bet... Gonchar has no where but up to go after last season... same for Phillips... who knows... hopefully it does come together... we'll see.

51Article on Rundblad - Page 4 Empty Re: Article on Rundblad Sat Jul 23, 2011 1:31 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

shabbs wrote:
wprager wrote:As Flo points out, we're expecting big-time rebound seasons from Phillips and Gonchar. I'm also expecting improvements from Karlsson.
Man, how many times do we say that each season... and how many times does it actually happen? We all want bigger things from all the players... Regin and Foligno come to mind too... Karlsson improving should be a solid bet... Gonchar has no where but up to go after last season... same for Phillips... who knows... hopefully it does come together... we'll see.

Yeah, the only question remaining, really, is whether to start at the SBP or to end there. The PM would certainly want to grab the spotlight and would probably like it to end up on Capitol Hill. Oh, well, we still have 10 months to plan it.

Facepalm

52Article on Rundblad - Page 4 Empty Re: Article on Rundblad Sat Jul 23, 2011 2:20 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

wprager wrote:
shabbs wrote:

Yeah, the only question remaining, really, is whether to start at the SBP or to end there. The PM would certainly want to grab the spotlight and would probably like it to end up on Capitol Hill. Oh, well, we still have 10 months to plan it.

Facepalm
The answer is quite obvious... really...

53Article on Rundblad - Page 4 Empty Re: Article on Rundblad Sat Jul 23, 2011 11:43 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Flo The Action wrote:does that mean you hold no more faith in Phillips? I'm on the fence with phillips. I think he could be on the top pairing for the next 2 years. I think the lack of faith in the goalie had alot to do on how the team performed last year until Andersson came in. I've got higher expectations this year for our D core. rookies will make mistakes for sure but Phillips and gonshar should have better years

Never really liked the Phillips/Karlsson duo. We don't have much to lose I guess, but if Lee/Phillips worked last year, why change it?

54Article on Rundblad - Page 4 Empty Re: Article on Rundblad Sun Jul 24, 2011 4:29 am

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

SpezDispenser wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:does that mean you hold no more faith in Phillips? I'm on the fence with phillips. I think he could be on the top pairing for the next 2 years. I think the lack of faith in the goalie had alot to do on how the team performed last year until Andersson came in. I've got higher expectations this year for our D core. rookies will make mistakes for sure but Phillips and gonshar should have better years

Never really liked the Phillips/Karlsson duo. We don't have much to lose I guess, but if Lee/Phillips worked last year, why change it?
it might of been alright but things could improve. maybe putting Karlsson(who I read was getting PK time last year) with phillips could create more offense on the 5 on 5.

55Article on Rundblad - Page 4 Empty Re: Article on Rundblad Sun Jul 24, 2011 7:15 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

There was one particular game I remember where I *thought* he (Karlsson) stayed on for the full 2 minutes on the PK, and had earlier stayed on for a full 2 minutes on a PP. I went back after the game and checked the shift chart to confirm and, yep, he did.

Clearly they didn't get scored on during the PK (nor did they score during the PP).

56Article on Rundblad - Page 4 Empty Re: Article on Rundblad Sun Jul 24, 2011 7:30 am

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wprager wrote:There was one particular game I remember where I *thought* he (Karlsson) stayed on for the full 2 minutes on the PK, and had earlier stayed on for a full 2 minutes on a PP. I went back after the game and checked the shift chart to confirm and, yep, he did.

Clearly they didn't get scored on during the PK (nor did they score during the PP).
yes but it does make a point for having an offensive D-man on each pairing. especially if it's matching a vet with a young one in the top 4.
phillips - Karlsson
Cowen - Gonchar
and then you have a less then better pairing of Lee and rundblad but that's the way the cookie crumbles.
I don't know who you part ways with but i'd rather part ways with kuba and keep carkner but the opposite might be easier done.

57Article on Rundblad - Page 4 Empty Re: Article on Rundblad Sun Jul 24, 2011 8:48 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

I just realize that Lee and Rundblad are both right-hand shots. Can't have that, not even on the third pairing.

We have Karlsson, Gonchar and Lee on the right side (plus Rundblad, if he makes it). Which of those is a 6/7 D-man? Got to be Lee, right? And if he's paired up with Phillips that means #4 is on the third pairing. Not sure I like that. Eventually it will be Cowen-Karlsson or Cowen-Rundblad, but for now it's either Kuba or Phillips that has to play with Karlsson. I guess it depends on what happens in camp. Cowen needs to play with a vet which means Gonchar -- is that a 2nd pairing or 3rd? I'd say 2nd, since we may have RUndblad on the third.

Phillips/Kuba - Karlsson
Cowen - Gonchar
Kuba/Phillips - Lee/Rundblad/Carkner

58Article on Rundblad - Page 4 Empty Re: Article on Rundblad Sun Jul 24, 2011 9:07 am

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wprager wrote:I just realize that Lee and Rundblad are both right-hand shots. Can't have that, not even on the third pairing.

We have Karlsson, Gonchar and Lee on the right side (plus Rundblad, if he makes it). Which of those is a 6/7 D-man? Got to be Lee, right? And if he's paired up with Phillips that means #4 is on the third pairing. Not sure I like that. Eventually it will be Cowen-Karlsson or Cowen-Rundblad, but for now it's either Kuba or Phillips that has to play with Karlsson. I guess it depends on what happens in camp. Cowen needs to play with a vet which means Gonchar -- is that a 2nd pairing or 3rd? I'd say 2nd, since we may have RUndblad on the third.

Phillips/Kuba - Karlsson
Cowen - Gonchar
Kuba/Phillips - Lee/Rundblad/Carkner

Looks about right.
phillips -karlsson
Cowen Gonchar
Kuba Rundblad.
carkner and lee fighting for the 7th spot. whatever way you look at it there's an extra person that won't be there all year.

59Article on Rundblad - Page 4 Empty Re: Article on Rundblad Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:44 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

I dare say, if Rundblad is up with the big club the full season he's up for the Calder. I've read somewhere the RotY favorite is Schenn, followed by Rundblad (Z-Bad is 10th) but you've got Lundqvist, Brodeur and Fleury in the Atlantic, then Thomas, Miller, Price, Chara -- lots of reasons to keep scoring down in the East. Plus I doubt the situation in Philly will be all that conducive for a rookie to come in and perform.

60Article on Rundblad - Page 4 Empty Re: Article on Rundblad Mon Jul 25, 2011 1:27 am

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wprager wrote:I dare say, if Rundblad is up with the big club the full season he's up for the Calder. I've read somewhere the RotY favorite is Schenn, followed by Rundblad (Z-Bad is 10th) but you've got Lundqvist, Brodeur and Fleury in the Atlantic, then Thomas, Miller, Price, Chara -- lots of reasons to keep scoring down in the East. Plus I doubt the situation in Philly will be all that conducive for a rookie to come in and perform.
yes that same thought has crossed my mind(and I might have mentioned it on here) Rundblad will definitely compete for the Calder.

61Article on Rundblad - Page 4 Empty Re: Article on Rundblad Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:15 am

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star

Flo The Action wrote:
wprager wrote:I dare say, if Rundblad is up with the big club the full season he's up for the Calder. I've read somewhere the RotY favorite is Schenn, followed by Rundblad (Z-Bad is 10th) but you've got Lundqvist, Brodeur and Fleury in the Atlantic, then Thomas, Miller, Price, Chara -- lots of reasons to keep scoring down in the East. Plus I doubt the situation in Philly will be all that conducive for a rookie to come in and perform.
yes that same thought has crossed my mind(and I might have mentioned it on here) Rundblad will definitely compete for the Calder.

That's a big claim. I hope you're right.

62Article on Rundblad - Page 4 Empty Re: Article on Rundblad Mon Jul 25, 2011 4:10 am

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

spader wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:

That's a big claim. I hope you're right.
at 20 he gets named best D-man in the SEL.... not that far of a reach to think he can do it. who's his competition? RHN? probably gets sent back to juniors. landskog? possibly but i don't expect him to hit the ice running(or skating for that matter) Larsson? I believe he'll need a longer adjustment then Rundblad. there's obviously more names around the league that i can't think of but to dominate the SEL and come over well... let's see what he can do.

63Article on Rundblad - Page 4 Empty Re: Article on Rundblad Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:05 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

My thinking was unencumbered by such trivialities as what other payers might be rookies this year Wink Even though we are a team in re-build mode, we are stacked on the right, so *if* Rundblad stays with the big club the whole season then he *must be* doing more than alright. And of course he's been called the best player not playing in the NHL and is #2 on the list of most likely to win the Calder.

On the other hand, it's so rare for a D-man to win RotY. Who was the last one?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 4 of 5]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum