GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Silfverberg to stay in Ottawa?

+13
Ev
Da lil Guy
asq2
rooneypoo
tim1_2
ddt
SeawaySensFan
NEELY
Hoags
SensHulk
Riprock
SDH89
PTFlea
17 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down  Message [Page 4 of 4]

46Silfverberg to stay in Ottawa? - Page 4 Empty Re: Silfverberg to stay in Ottawa? Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:04 am

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Hoags wrote:Is Silfverberg LW ? Where is he going to play ?

He plays any one of the 3 forward positions apparently.

47Silfverberg to stay in Ottawa? - Page 4 Empty Re: Silfverberg to stay in Ottawa? Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:08 am

tim1_2

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

It's easy for us to say "just play in the NHL", but for a guy coming from Sweden, it'd be a big change in lifestyle, and there'd be lots more pressure. If Silfverberg doesn't feel ready, he isn't ready.

48Silfverberg to stay in Ottawa? - Page 4 Empty Re: Silfverberg to stay in Ottawa? Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:09 am

SeawaySensFan

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Hoags wrote:Is Silfverberg LW ? Where is he going to play ?

Ottawa, hopefully.

49Silfverberg to stay in Ottawa? - Page 4 Empty Re: Silfverberg to stay in Ottawa? Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:10 am

Da lil Guy

Da lil Guy
Rookie
Rookie

There's got to be a girl in Sweden.

50Silfverberg to stay in Ottawa? - Page 4 Empty Re: Silfverberg to stay in Ottawa? Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:26 am

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Da lil Guy wrote:There's got to be a girl in Sweden.

Yeah, his Momma no doubt.

51Silfverberg to stay in Ottawa? - Page 4 Empty Re: Silfverberg to stay in Ottawa? Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:40 am

SensHulk

SensHulk
All-Star
All-Star

It's personal with silfverberg. It's got nothing to do with SEL getting him better prepared for the NHL. But its a nice excuse to use right?

52Silfverberg to stay in Ottawa? - Page 4 Empty Re: Silfverberg to stay in Ottawa? Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:42 am

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Michallica wrote:It's personal with silfverberg. It's got nothing to do with SEL getting him better prepared for the NHL. But its a nice excuse to use right?

Probably a bit of both, right? It doesn't even matter really, it would be great to see him in the NHL this year, but he'll be even more developed next year.

53Silfverberg to stay in Ottawa? - Page 4 Empty Re: Silfverberg to stay in Ottawa? Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:48 am

Hoags

Hoags
All-Star
All-Star

T6S has a great piece on this:

http://the6thsens.com/2011-articles/july/silfverbergresponds30010.html

According to our friend, what Silfverberg said translates to, "I'm glad to hear it but I need to be bigger, stronger and elevate my game another level before I jump in. That's why I've decided to stay in Sweden another year".

And when I asked him for his take on the situation, he emailed me with this:

The Curious Case of Jakob Silfverberg is a tricky one to decipher. When he signed his contract after the World Championships it was with the condition that he would play another year with his hometown team Brynäs of the SEL. However, in lights of Pierre Dorion's and Bryan Murray's recent comments, they seem eager to convince him that he should be playing in Ottawa. Despite what he says, I think he could be tempted by this. Silfverberg and his Swedish agent Patrik Aronsson will need to sit down and think this through. This year - without sounding too pessimistic - is probably as easy an opportunity as he'll ever get to grab an NHL spot without spending time in the NHL. This opportunity might not be there next year. The team will be improving; a lot of our young guys will establish themselves as NHLers this year. From a simple contract perspective, the only NHL spot owners scheduled to leave is Konopka and Winchester, and it's not a too risky bet at least one of them will be re-signed. Silfverberg will have to put up a hell of a season with Brynäs to go straight into the NHL next season without any AHL time, if only a few of the prospects that will see a ton of NHL action this year establish themselves in the top-6 or top-9.

One other issue, even if Silfverberg realizes this, he's got his loyalty to Brynäs. He was born in Gävle, the town which Brynäs is located in, and he's been with them from pee-wee all the way up to be a carrying player on the senior team. SEL teams are usually finished building the vast majority of their team in April, so if he changes his mind now, it'll leave a big hole on their roster that will be hard to fill at this time of the year, especially since Silfverberg's playing essentially for free compared to what a player of his calibre to replace him would cost.

The Sens have him under contract, so technically they have the final say in this. Everything Silfverberg has said and done thus far is of course pointing towards him staying. However, everything Pierre Dorion and the Murray's have said and done is pointing towards they want him in OTT come camp. Will be interesting to see what will go winning during the battle - the dream of playing in the NHL, or the loyalty to Brynäs and the comfort of playing a big role on the hometown team. I think he will "budge" eventually.

54Silfverberg to stay in Ottawa? - Page 4 Empty Re: Silfverberg to stay in Ottawa? Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:02 pm

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star

Ha. There's always some drama.

55Silfverberg to stay in Ottawa? - Page 4 Empty Re: Silfverberg to stay in Ottawa? Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:30 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

This year - without sounding too pessimistic - is probably as easy an opportunity as he'll ever get to grab an NHL spot without spending time in the NHL.

Hmmm, interesting. Sarcasm

56Silfverberg to stay in Ottawa? - Page 4 Empty Re: Silfverberg to stay in Ottawa? Thu Jul 07, 2011 1:58 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Da lil Guy wrote:There's got to be a girl in Sweden.

Makes you wonder. Maybe he's got a 15-year-old g/f (age of consent in Sweden is 15; 16 in Canada).

Just joking, of course, but seriously speaking, what the hell kind of advice is he getting? And from whom?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 4 of 4]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum