GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Silfverberg would come to Ottawa for the playoffs

+7
wprager
dennycrane
Ev
SeawaySensFan
rooneypoo
SensHulk
PTFlea
11 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

http://arbetarbladet.se/sport/brynas/1.4472687-silfverberg-gar-inte-att-stoppa

.. about playing the Stanley Cup finals with Ottawa on Brynäs go out early - and so say no to World Cup games:

- Ottawa has not actually said anything, but I know that Marcus Krüger did this last year (with the Chicago Editor's note). I'd definitely be there. Do I get the chance, I take it, after all it is the world's best league.

SensHulk

SensHulk
All-Star
All-Star

Hot diggity damn....that's some nice news right thurr. We need all the help we can get in the top 6.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Michallica wrote:Hot diggity damn....that's some nice news right thurr. We need all the help we can get in the top 6.

We're doing okay, but imagine a real sniper coming in to help. Damn...

They asked Jarnkrok what he thought of Silfverberg's chances in the NHL and he replied "He'll play and he'll dominate."

Hot damn is right.

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

SpezDispenser wrote:
Michallica wrote:Hot diggity damn....that's some nice news right thurr. We need all the help we can get in the top 6.

They asked Jarnkrok what he thought of Silfverberg's chances in the NHL and he replied "He'll play and he'll dominate."

Hot damn is right.

Cool news, but let's scale that back. Silfverberg's not going to step onto the NHL ice for the first time in his life and dominate during the post-season, where the hardest brand of hockey is played.

It would be great to have another option up front, and hopefully we get to see what he looks like in a few NHL games before the playoffs start -- but penciling him in as a "real sniper" who will "dominate" in his first outing, in the NHL playoffs, is premature to say the least.

Baby steps.

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

rooneypoo wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:

Hot damn is right.

Cool news, but let's scale that back. Silfverberg's not going to step onto the NHL ice for the first time in his life and dominate during the post-season, where the hardest brand of hockey is played.

It would be great to have another option up front, and hopefully we get to see what he looks like in a few NHL games before the playoffs start -- but penciling him in as a "real sniper" who will "dominate" in his first outing, in the NHL playoffs, is premature to say the least.

Baby steps.

Sorry but I'm gonna have to insist that you change your name from rooneypoo to Dr. Leo Marvin.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

rooneypoo wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:

Hot damn is right.

Baby steps.

Those are taken out of context a bit. Jarnkrok said he thought Silfverberg would dominate before he knew he might play this year, he was talking about next year when I read the quote. As for Silfverberg being a 'real sniper', he's got an NHL caliber release and shot, but I shouldn't imply more than that. All I really mean was - with no offense to Greening or Klink, he has more of the tools needed to take advantage of Spezza's passing or Turris' passing for that matter.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Brynas has a chance to go far in the SEL playoffs so I doubt it.

dennycrane

dennycrane
Veteran
Veteran

Butler or Silfverberg?

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

SpezDispenser wrote:

Hot damn is right.

OK, let's temper this with some facts:

1. Jarnkrok has a fantastic last name, but last I checked he was not a well-respected pro scout.
2. Silfverberg has zero NHL experience, and I'm not sure he has any experience on the smaller ice surface (WJCs, maybe). He has *never* played a NA game outside of the pre-season.

That said, I agree with the "hot damn" sentiments Smile

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Silfverberg has played some hockey on NA ice surface over in Finland for tournaments.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

By the way, Zibanejad will apparently play 10 games in the relegation round. Wow, I thought it would be a short series between two teams, but it sounds like a bit of a tournament. 10 games, probably means 4 teams?

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wprager wrote:By the way, Zibanejad will apparently play 10 games in the relegation round. Wow, I thought it would be a short series between two teams, but it sounds like a bit of a tournament. 10 games, probably means 4 teams?

Yes. Bottom two SEL teams. Top two Allsvenskan teams.

Djurgården, Timrå, Örebro, and Leksand

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Big Ev wrote:
wprager wrote:By the way, Zibanejad will apparently play 10 games in the relegation round. Wow, I thought it would be a short series between two teams, but it sounds like a bit of a tournament. 10 games, probably means 4 teams?

Yes. Bottom two SEL teams. Top two Allsvenskan teams.

Djurgården, Timrå, Örebro, and Leksand

Ah, of course. Stupid of me not to think that with a team moving down, another one has to move up, so both leagues must be represented.

P.S. Back on topic, Silfverberg's team is up 1-0 and are playing the second game tonight. However, even if they go far, the playoffs run to the beginning of April. So, would we rather he got eliminated before the end of our regular season, so as to get some games in? Or go all the way and win the championship, then come over here happy but tired, with no regular season tune up games before the playoffs. Or maybe go far enough to feel bitter about losing, then come over here and use that bitterness to drive himself to excel? Or maybe we should just wait for Bryan to mention this (him coming over) as a possibility, first.

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

I think we would all agree that it would be worth giving Silfverberg a shot this season, but I would like to see him play at least a few regular season games first before being thrown into the pressure cooker that is playoff hockey. Don't forget, there is a big difference between the SEL and the NHL, including the physicality. If we're playing Boston or the Rags in the 1st round, and Silf is being hammered relentlessly...he's not exactly used to that.

It's certainly worth taking the risk though. He wouldn't be any worse than Butler in our top 6.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Even if he only practices with the team and then sits in a suite and tie upstairs, I'd still bring him in. You never know. Remember the BUS squad on the Expos? Never know when injuries hit.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum