GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Silfverberg to stay in Ottawa?

+13
Ev
Da lil Guy
asq2
rooneypoo
tim1_2
ddt
SeawaySensFan
NEELY
Hoags
SensHulk
Riprock
SDH89
PTFlea
17 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 4]

31Silfverberg to stay in Ottawa? - Page 3 Empty Re: Silfverberg to stay in Ottawa? Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:34 pm

Hoags

All-Star
All-Star

rooneypoo wrote:Silfverberg was pretty unambiguous about his plans to return to Sweden this year. Smart money is on his return to the SEL. Unless he's playing coy and wants to extract some leverage from BM... devilish.

That's my guess, prospects usually can't wait to get into the NHL, I never heard of one insisting he is not ready, skip camp and go back to his old team when everyone telling him he's ready.

32Silfverberg to stay in Ottawa? - Page 3 Empty Re: Silfverberg to stay in Ottawa? Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:45 pm

asq2

All-Star
All-Star

Meh, the team knows what it's doing, but I definitely wouldn't mind him having another year in Sweden. He talked about being a leader on his team and being the go-to offensive guy if he returned. IMO that's a valuable experience for a prospect to have, and the SEL is a very high-level league (it's not like he's going back to Junior).

On the other hand, IIRC he led his team in goals last season so maybe he's had some of that already.

33Silfverberg to stay in Ottawa? - Page 3 Empty Re: Silfverberg to stay in Ottawa? Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:49 pm

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Yeah, either way it's not a bad thing. Would like to see him here in Ottawa, but I wouldn't get bent out of shape if he goes back.

34Silfverberg to stay in Ottawa? - Page 3 Empty Re: Silfverberg to stay in Ottawa? Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:50 pm

Da lil Guy

Da lil Guy
Rookie
Rookie

If he played for Skelleftea rather than Brynas, I`d be happier with his choice.

If the reports about him are true, I guess it would be great if he stayed...but when I see promises like this being made, it gives me flashbacks to Kaigorodov that I don`t like.

35Silfverberg to stay in Ottawa? - Page 3 Empty Re: Silfverberg to stay in Ottawa? Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:08 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Da lil Guy wrote:If he played for Skelleftea rather than Brynas, I`d be happier with his choice.

If the reports about him are true, I guess it would be great if he stayed...but when I see promises like this being made, it gives me flashbacks to Kaigorodov that I don`t like.

Yeah, I kinda feel the same way, it's odd to be 'promising' things to a rookie, but he's really no Kaigorodov by all accounts. The Sens view him as a huge part of their future and want him to start immediately.

36Silfverberg to stay in Ottawa? - Page 3 Empty Re: Silfverberg to stay in Ottawa? Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:33 pm

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

SpezDispenser wrote:
Da lil Guy wrote:If he played for Skelleftea rather than Brynas, I`d be happier with his choice.

Yeah, I kinda feel the same way, it's odd to be 'promising' things to a rookie, but he's really no Kaigorodov by all accounts. The Sens view him as a huge part of their future and want him to start immediately.

I think Big Ev would agree that the only account that matters regarding Silfverberg is that of SteffeG.

more to come

37Silfverberg to stay in Ottawa? - Page 3 Empty Re: Silfverberg to stay in Ottawa? Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:44 pm

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

asq2 wrote:Meh, the team knows what it's doing, but I definitely wouldn't mind him having another year in Sweden. He talked about being a leader on his team and being the go-to offensive guy if he returned. IMO that's a valuable experience for a prospect to have, and the SEL is a very high-level league (it's not like he's going back to Junior).

On the other hand, IIRC he led his team in goals last season so maybe he's had some of that already.

That's why he should be happy with the NHL!

38Silfverberg to stay in Ottawa? - Page 3 Empty Re: Silfverberg to stay in Ottawa? Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:19 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Nobody needs him to be a leader now or for the foreseeable future. And over here he can learn leadership from Alfie, Phillips, Spezza, Neil. All kinds of different leadership. Growing up through the minor league ranks I'm sure he would have been a captain/alternate a few times, already. So he would have had the first-hand experience. On-the-job training is all that he would need now. That is assuming, of course, that he has that in him. Leadership is not something you will somehow achieve by staying an extra year in the SEL. All it'll do is, perhaps, confirm whether or not he has it or wants it and, frankly, if he doesn't know by now, perhaps he's not the leader type.

39Silfverberg to stay in Ottawa? - Page 3 Empty Re: Silfverberg to stay in Ottawa? Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:03 am

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Latest comments from SteffeG indicate Silfverberg does not want to jump into the NHL this coming season...

https://twitter.com/#!/steffeG

He does not feel his is ready. Needs to get "bigger, stronger"...

40Silfverberg to stay in Ottawa? - Page 3 Empty Re: Silfverberg to stay in Ottawa? Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:03 am

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

Silfverberg, via SteffeG:

"I'm glad to hear it but I need to be bigger, stronger and elevate my game another level before I jump in. That's why I've decided to stay in Sweden another year."

He's being curiously obstinate on this, to be honest. I can't imagine being reticent about doing a job when my boss is telling me that I'm ready to do this job. I mean, have some faith in your GM -- he wants what's best for you and for your team.

41Silfverberg to stay in Ottawa? - Page 3 Empty Re: Silfverberg to stay in Ottawa? Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:09 am

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Yeah, very odd...

42Silfverberg to stay in Ottawa? - Page 3 Empty Re: Silfverberg to stay in Ottawa? Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:11 am

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Well that was from a few days ago, so who knows if Murray has taled to him or not.

43Silfverberg to stay in Ottawa? - Page 3 Empty Re: Silfverberg to stay in Ottawa? Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:24 am

TheAvatar

TheAvatar
Veteran
Veteran

rooneypoo wrote:Silfverberg, via SteffeG:

"I'm glad to hear it but I need to be bigger, stronger and elevate my game another level before I jump in. That's why I've decided to stay in Sweden another year."

He's being curiously obstinate on this, to be honest. I can't imagine being reticent about doing a job when my boss is telling me that I'm ready to do this job. I mean, have some faith in your GM -- he wants what's best for you and for your team.

As we say in French "Il y a anguille sous roche"

44Silfverberg to stay in Ottawa? - Page 3 Empty Re: Silfverberg to stay in Ottawa? Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:49 am

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Robert_Lennox Robert Lennox
by 6thSens@
@6thSens talked to Murray after development camp monday. Told me he came away most(!) impressed with the silfver surfer.

Geez, just bite the bullet and play NHL hockey next year, I find it hard to imagine someone fighting AGAINST playing NHL hockey so hard. Laugh1

45Silfverberg to stay in Ottawa? - Page 3 Empty Re: Silfverberg to stay in Ottawa? Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:59 am

Hoags

Hoags
All-Star
All-Star

Is Silfverberg LW ? Where is he going to play ?

46Silfverberg to stay in Ottawa? - Page 3 Empty Re: Silfverberg to stay in Ottawa? Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:04 am

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Hoags wrote:Is Silfverberg LW ? Where is he going to play ?

He plays any one of the 3 forward positions apparently.

47Silfverberg to stay in Ottawa? - Page 3 Empty Re: Silfverberg to stay in Ottawa? Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:08 am

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

It's easy for us to say "just play in the NHL", but for a guy coming from Sweden, it'd be a big change in lifestyle, and there'd be lots more pressure. If Silfverberg doesn't feel ready, he isn't ready.

48Silfverberg to stay in Ottawa? - Page 3 Empty Re: Silfverberg to stay in Ottawa? Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:09 am

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Hoags wrote:Is Silfverberg LW ? Where is he going to play ?

Ottawa, hopefully.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 4]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum