GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

UFA/Canada Day Moves and Signings and Rumours

+20
asq2
sandysensfan
Hoags
stempniaksen
NEELY
jawal
The Silfer Server
rooneypoo
SeawaySensFan
wprager
Number Twenty Nine
dennycrane
DirtyDave
Ev
Riprock
PTFlea
Hockeyhero22000
Flo The Action
DefenceWinsChampionships
spader
24 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 21 ... 27  Next

Go down  Message [Page 15 of 27]

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Going through the teams, that's the first thing I thought of. Tallon will dispense of Clemmenson and have a Theodore/Vokoun set up.

NEELY

Mod
Mod

The 7 teams that did the best job so far are Detroit, Vancouver, Pitts, Toronto, Boston, San Jose, and Ottawa. I hate to admit that I like what 3 or 4 of those teams did (or didn't do) but they stuck to the plan and made choices that won't affect the long term goals of their franchises or hurt them in the short terms.

All these teams going out and spending a ton of cash of marginal top 6 guys or top pairing d men are just ignoring what has been proven not to work over the last 20 games. Team chemistry counts for a lot and places like Florida, Columbus, and New York are just going to find themselves in the same spot they have been for the last 10 years at the end of the day.

That's why I love what Ottawa has done and Bingo. They are building a ton of chemistry and when they start to win a little (and it will be coming) they will all appreciate it that much more because they did it as a group. That's why I like Ottawa's chances next year in terms of fighting for a playoff spot.

Respect to NYI as well for not giving Erhoff that stupid deal. They seem to have turned the corner in a sense but their played development still lacks in a big way.

Last edited by NEELY on Sat Jul 02, 2011 2:31 pm; edited 1 time in total

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Who does Phoenix have now? Maybe Washington as well, outside chance at Edmonton.

NEELY

Mod
Mod

SpezDispenser wrote:Who does Phoenix have now? Maybe Washington as well, outside chance at Edmonton.

Pheonix signed Smith. Washington has Holtby and Nveruth. Edmonton still has Bulin and Dubnyk.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

It's hard to say right now. Buffalo did well adding Ehrhoff and Regher IMO, nice players to have insulating their D. Leino is too long a term with too much $$, not a smart move when players that really mean something come up for negotiations. Still...I like his potential to score 20-25 goals in a top six role in Buffalo.

Florida is an interesting scenario, they had no chemistry anyway, so this can't be any worse, it's an infusion of decent talent and decent character, I don't mind it. They won't get Tier 1 UFAs anyway - ever, so they ,might as well litter the team with Tier 2 guys and try to win some games.

The Flyers did okay, but they have zero team chemistry. I question the Jagr signing, these rarely end well in this day and age. Like the Talbot signing though.

Hurricanes did really well.

Didn't understand why TB gave Roloson 3 million instead of going after a younger and better Vokoun. Thought that odd, but whatever I guess.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

NEELY wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:Who does Phoenix have now? Maybe Washington as well, outside chance at Edmonton.

Pheonix signed Smith. Washington has Holtby and Nveruth. Edmonton still has Bulin and Dubnyk.

They're gonna bank on Mike Smith? If he's 100% healthy, I guess, but they better have a good backup. Florida sounds like a real destination and something I'd almost put $$ on right now.

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star

@kuklaskorner
Kukla's Korner .com
Hurricanes sign Anthony Stewart to 2-year, $1.8 million contract: Via NHLGossip on Twitter, the Carolina Hurricanes... http://dlvr.it/Yj54H

That's a reasonable deal. We haven't seen many of those.

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star

SpezDispenser wrote:
NEELY wrote:

They're gonna bank on Mike Smith? If he's 100% healthy, I guess, but they better have a good backup. Florida sounds like a real destination and something I'd almost put $$ on right now.

Ya, Smith can't replace Bryz. I can't imagine that Phoenix isn't looking hard at Vokoun.

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star

Points-wise, Shannon is now in the top-15 remaining free agents. Nod

NEELY

Mod
Mod

SpezDispenser wrote:It's hard to say right now. Buffalo did well adding Ehrhoff and Regher IMO, nice players to have insulating their D. Leino is too long a term with too much $$, not a smart move when players that really mean something come up for negotiations. Still...I like his potential to score 20-25 goals in a top six role in Buffalo.

Florida is an interesting scenario, they had no chemistry anyway, so this can't be any worse, it's an infusion of decent talent and decent character, I don't mind it. They won't get Tier 1 UFAs anyway - ever, so they ,might as well litter the team with Tier 2 guys and try to win some games.

The Flyers did okay, but they have zero team chemistry. I question the Jagr signing, these rarely end well in this day and age. Like the Talbot signing though.

Hurricanes did really well.

Didn't understand why TB gave Roloson 3 million instead of going after a younger and better Vokoun. Thought that odd, but whatever I guess.

Because he got them 1 game away from making in to the finals? It's amazing that even fans talk about how great teams like Florida, Buffalo, and other teams did when they "load up". They didn't load up, they overpaid for true 3rd line guys that are going to get 1st or 2nd line mins.

I love what Tampa did too, they did basically nothing. They decided to basically ice the exact same team as they did last year, goaltneder out. Why change anything?

It's not hard to say at all, the more things change the more they stay the same and UFA day in The NHL is proof of that. Florida will be out of the race by the end of Feb again and depending on Miller's season, Buffalo will finish between 7th-10th again. The teams that win or are truly rebuilding changed very little.

NEELY

Mod
Mod

SpezDispenser wrote:
NEELY wrote:

The real destination? Who is that team built around? I'm actually asking because I literally have no idea. They have no identity, no top line players, no top 2 D men, and as it stands, no number 1 goalie.

Nice weather and huge money, I would sign there too if that's what was offered, especially guys who already have a cup.

NEELY

Mod
Mod

spader wrote:Points-wise, Shannon is now in the top-15 remaining free agents. Nod

He will sign a 1 way deal in Florida, 3 years, 3 mil. That's basically what's happening right now.

Watching what happened yesterday and today just makes me that much more optimistic about The Sens future.

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star

NEELY wrote:The real destination? Who is that team built around? I'm actually asking because I literally have no idea. They have no identity, no top line players, no top 2 D men, and as it stands, no number 1 goalie.

Nice weather and huge money, I would sign there too if that's what was offered, especially guys who already have a cup.

Campbell? Sarcasm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

NEELY wrote:
Because he got them 1 game away from making in to the finals? It's amazing that even fans talk about how great teams like Florida, Buffalo, and other teams did when they "load up". They didn't load up, they overpaid for true 3rd line guys that are going to get 1st or 2nd line mins.

I love what Tampa did too, they did basically nothing. They decided to basically ice the exact same team as they did last year, goaltneder out. Why change anything?

It's not hard to say at all, the more things change the more they stay the same and UFA day in The NHL is proof of that. Florida will be out of the race by the end of Feb again and depending on Miller's season, Buffalo will finish between 7th-10th again. The teams that win or are truly rebuilding changed very little.

I have nothing against Roloson, but it's a scenario where he could fall off real quick. He's not exactly young.

The thing that baffles me about Florida is not really the signings, they got some character, they had no chemistry etc. etc. etc., but I don't understand where their prospects fit in now. And they signed everyone to such long term that they'll be stuck when their talent develops - which is gonna be like....now.

Buffalo, I liked the D signings, thought the Leino one was poor in term and $$, but they've developed some nice talent, time to try to go for it. Leino is a nice player, I've always liked him, Ehrhoff/Regher are solid additions to go with Ennis, Gerbe, Meyers, Miller, Roy (underrated player IMO), Vanek, Boyes. Nice, solid core IMO, didn't get weaker yesterday.

NEELY

Mod
Mod

spader wrote:
NEELY wrote:The real destination? Who is that team built around? I'm actually asking because I literally have no idea. They have no identity, no top line players, no top 2 D men, and as it stands, no number 1 goalie.

Campbell? Sarcasm

Haha yah, exactly.

This does nothing to change the overall complection of the team. It's still a joke of a franchise that handed out stupid money becuase they needed to reach the cap floor.

A rookie coach that's going to come in without a true number 1 goaltender, no number 1 center, no real number 1 or 2 D man, and basically no scoring up front, Dineen is going to have his work cut out for him. Seems everyone goes down to Florida to retire, including NHLers.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

2 years, 4.75 per year for Connolly from the Leafs.

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star

NEELY wrote:
spader wrote:

Campbell? Sarcasm

Haha yah, exactly.

This does nothing to change the overall complection of the team. It's still a joke of a franchise that handed out stupid money becuase they needed to reach the cap floor.

A rookie coach that's going to come in without a true number 1 goaltender, no number 1 center, no real number 1 or 2 D man, and basically no scoring up front, Dineen is going to have his work cut out for him. Seems everyone goes down to Florida to retire, including NHLers.

Stupid money? What are you talking about? They got a 35 year-old Jovo locked into a 4 year contract for only $16.5M! He'll be worth a whole lot more than $4.125 when he's 39.

Sarcasm

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star

SpezDispenser wrote:2 years, 4.75 per year for Connolly from the Leafs.

@DarrenDreger
Darren Dreger
Paperwork being worked on between the Leafs and Tim Connolly. 2 year agreement @ $4.75 aav.

What does the "aav" mean?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 15 of 27]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 21 ... 27  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum