GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Sens Development Camp Day 2

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

M_Christopher

M_Christopher
Sophomore
Sophomore

Well it really shouldn’t be a surprise but Day Two of the Senators Development Camp saw the compete level escalate significantly is most guys.

Sens Development Camp Day 2 Rundys10

It was good seeing the guys really start moving and it did separate some players from the pack. I tried to get a good look at a lot of guys today, but some players just standout so much I can’t help but watch, and Petersson is a personal favorite of mine so I track him quite a bit.

Before I get into the main camp, Filatov joined Puempel in the other rink and was primarily doing skating drills, at least from the bits I caught. It’d be interesting to hear from someone that watched them for more than 10 minutes at a time.

Yes Filatov is sporting #21, and he was separated from the other group, because they didn’t expect Filatov to be full energized and able to properly compete with other players, following his 48 hour trip from holidays to Moscow, then to Ottawa. Will likely join his teammates by Friday.

As for the main camp…..

Again the intensity was WAY up today!

Despite trying to watch certain players, my attention was always pulled to Shane Prince (again) and Ben Blood.

Hopefully others saw the same thing, but with the intensity kicked-up Ben Blood was a factor in every drill. Blood looked like a tank as he ran guys over, contained them, and moved the puck, both through and around players. Only guy Blood couldn’t contain was, to no surprise, Prince. If you make it to down to watch the camp, keep an eye out on Blood.

I know I talked briefly about him yesterday, but today was Blood’s coming out party, and the majority of the people around were buzzing about him. Blood also made a bit of a rival in Cowick, as it seemed every time Cowick tried to go to work offensively Blood was all over him including a pretty big hit, that had Cowick visibly frustrated.

Which also leads to my only real knock on Cowick today, he just looked frustrated all day, every time he missed a shot or pass, or got bumped he just stopped playing momentarily. He had a decent showing today, but his clear frustration and how soft he looked on the puck, was the take home memory for at least a few fans watching today.

Mike Hoffman showed off his speed and hands today, as most of the drills were offensive based. He always seemed to be the first guy on loose pucks, and always was winning battles along the boards. Most of us have a pretty good idea of what we have in Hoffman, and while he’s not a focus for most in the camp, he looked more ready than a lot other players. His skating needs a bit of work but the guy looks NHL ready.

Still not sure why Lyamin is here… He had a better day today but as far as D-men go, he’s clearly a step behind most (along with Fransoo (18) and Aneloski (21)) I am judging him hard but since he’s the oldest player at camp and has the most ‘pro’ experience, he should be more noticeable on ice.

Jakob Silfverberg is a lot bigger than I noticed yesterday. He looks to be about the same build as Foligno, and has a monster of a wristshot, when he shot everyone in the rink could hear it. Silfverberg should a lot poise when playing the defensive roles in the drills, and looks every bit as advertised.

Andre Petersson has some form of groin injury right now as he wasn’t skating overly hard and was constantly trying to stretch it out. Despite the injury though, he did show off fancy passing during the 3 on 3 drills. He left the ice before the on-ice skill/work-out activities started. It’ll be interesting to see if he participates in the scrimmage tourney.

I had mentioned yesterday Zibanejad was a little unfocussed, and after talking to some other fans today, the consensus was he is lost on the ice right now. While it’s a lot of guys first dev. camp, Zibanejad truly look lost at times. Which really isn’t the a horrible knock against the kid, just something to keep an eye on over the next few days. Good to see guys like Hoffman and Dziurzynski helping him out with what the coaches want.

Sens Development Camp Day 2 Filato10

Here is a few of random notes/moments from Day 2:

Rundblad has been absolutely smothering players in front of the net and is taking away their space incredibly fast.

Claesson was showing way more competitiveness today, and was skating hard to break up plays.

Cowen tried to crush his former teammate Darren Kramer, the glass shook when Cowen missed. Not a check you’d expect to see during a development camp.

Scary moment when Borowiecki ran an off-balance Silfverberg into the end boards hard, thankfully Silfverberg literally jumped up and went right into the play like nothing happened.

Dave Cameron was running the on-ice drills again, while Maclean watched from above.

Filatov and Puempel drew a huge audience during the main camp break.

Max McCormick was skating way better today, looked fully energized.

Hoffman’s wrister has a ton of power and is hockey sense has greatly improved, looks like a leader on the ice.

Zibanejab constantly driving hard to the net, always either snowing, or bumping the goalies.

Kramer and Borowiecki almost, and I mean almost, fought after Boro ran Kramer a bit after a pass.

Dziurzynski absolutely undressed Aneloski with some fancy stick/skate-work, and based on the ‘oooooooo’ from the crowd everyone was watching when it happened.

Caporusso displayed his fast hands and keen hockey sense during the 3 on 3’s. He can add some muscle the guy could be 2-3rd line sniper.

Mark Stone showed off some slick hands, that I for one didn’t know he had.

For a second day in a row Sorensen was struggling with passes, not sure why but he seemed to be fumbling the majority of them.

None of the d-men seemed to be capable of containing Prince’s speed. Didn’t get to see Cowen or Rundblad try though.

I’ll upload the videos a bit later today.

Sens Development Camp Day 2 Peters10

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?blogger_id=121
Share this post on: reddit

Riprock

Post Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:12 pm by Riprock

thanks Mark, another well written write up, I enjoyed it. and wish I could catch some action myself.

M_Christopher

Post Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:15 pm by M_Christopher

video from day 2.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYj8TL1XhJQ

Ev

Post Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:30 pm by Ev

Zib was probably lost because Rundblad had mentioned that they don't do most of the drills being performed here in Sweden. Completely different practices, most likely.

I saw many people mention that he does look good and NHL-ready once he gets the drills down, though.

M_Christopher

Post Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:36 pm by M_Christopher

Big Ev wrote:Zib was probably lost because Rundblad had mentioned that they don't do most of the drills being performed here in Sweden. Completely different practices, most likely.

I saw many people mention that he does look good and NHL-ready once he gets the drills down, though.

Yeah he has been a hard worker once the drills are going, just visibly lost inbetween. Mind you that could also be why Petersson is always stickhandling a puck inbetween drills

Post Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:38 pm by NEELY

Zibanejad will be a Sen next year, there is a big fat hole in the number 2, 3 center position and he's the guy that is more than capable of filling it as it seems. Put him beside Alfi and maybe a guy like Foligno, he will get a ton of space and talent to work with.

Ev

Post Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:43 pm by Ev

While I agree that he could (and maybe should) make it, it's certainly not a given. Murray mentioned today that if he just comes into camp and looks lost and not ready, they will not even question the decision to send him back.

I also think he makes it though.

Post Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:46 pm by NEELY

Big Ev wrote:While I agree that he could (and maybe should) make it, it's certainly not a given. Murray mentioned today that if he just comes into camp and looks lost and not ready, they will not even question the decision to send him back.

I also think he makes it though.

Fair enough but looking lost in a game vs looking lost in a practice is totally different. Also, if the parts of the game he is struggling with is because it's North America, well, only place he is going to learn that is in North America.

Flo The Action

Post Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:05 pm by Flo The Action

thanks mark, great write-up. Nice to hear about Hoffman. I was quite high n him when we drafted him but with the No-show(or late start) he had in Bingo last year I was wondering what kind of future(if any) he had with the sens. I'd be surprised if he was one to make the sens this year but maybe the next if he makes it at all?

PTFlea

Post Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:17 pm by PTFlea

Great write-up, really nice to have someone writing in detail about it.

Post  by Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum