GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Sens Development Camp Day 1

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

M_Christopher

M_Christopher
Sophomore
Sophomore

Sens Development Camp Day 1 Img-2011

Alright Day 1 is in the bag, sorry if the info is scattered but hard to track everything going on so I tried to focus on a few players.

Andre Petersson was the first guy on the ice skating around and shooting pucks. Was impressive to see him lobbing pucks from the redline into the net.

One thing that stood out was every time Petersson wasn’t doing a drill, he was stickhandling a puck (very-well I might add), regardless of what was going on around him. He was clearly among the smaller Sens on the ice, but he definitely one of the more talented players. Unfortunately he left the ice during the shooting drills and didn’t return for the scrimmage and chute-skating.

2011 6th ovr, Mika Zibanejad was the focus and talk of everyone at the Sensplex, and he certainly stood out in most drills. He’s got a lot of speed and is great with the puck. While he looks to be close to NHL ready, he definetly will need to add a bit more weight to his frame to play his style at the NHL level.

It was funny to see him get chewed out a bit by Cameron for ‘fraternizing’ during one of the drills. After the camp, he signed a few autographs, including my camp roster.

A lot of people were wondering why Puempel wasn’t on the ice, including myself, but I did find him after.

The Sens had Puempel skating with Foligno and working out the Conditioning staff on another rink. I got a chance to ask Tim Murray about him, and Tim basically explained because of Puempel’s hip surgery, they were keeping him out of the normal drills, so they can work with his rehab and get an idea where his skill set is.

Chris Wideman is bigger than his listed 5’10” 177lbs, I would put him up around 6’1”-6’2” 200lbs, and his patience and poise stood out during some of the defensive skills. Wideman should get a long look for key-minutes in Bingo.

Corey Cowick looks like his added quite a big of size to his frame, and he did a good job getting into the traffic lanes and disrupting plays, but his stickhandling didn’t seem to be at the level it should be. Looks like he’s been working on his defensive game and I wouldn’t be shocked to see him play a ton PK minutes for Bingo.

Sens Development Camp Day 1 Img-2013

Louie Caporusso showed off his hands and speed today, and it’s clear the extra year at Michigan has benefitted him. Still undersized by NHL standards but the leg power he showed during the chute-skate was extremely impressive, as he had to slow down multiple times so he wouldn’t run over Stone.

Cowen, Dziurzynski, Blood, Kramer and Borowiecki stood out of the group with their massive sizes and frames. Blood and Boro could make life miserable for teams in the A, and also give Murray a few more options when the time comes to promote another D-man to the NHL. (Outside of Cowen and Rundblad of course) Seriously though I do not remember Dziurzynski being that big…seriously he’s a big boy.

The star of today was hands-down Shane Price, he looked like the best player on the ice. His skating is so fluid, and his very fast. He didn’t have any problem handling the puck at high-speeds either. Only knock on him was he looks a little smaller than he’s listed, but other than that he looks like a steal at 61st ovr.

Jean-Gabriel Pageau is small, I mean very small. 5’9” is a very generous listing for his height, unless they measured him with his skates on. I’m 6’0” and I was still slightly taller than him when I was ground level and his was on the ice in his skates. Plenty of speed, but didn’t see much else from him today. Going to watch him more tomorrow.

Sens Development Camp Day 1 Img-2014

Few more random observations:

All the Swedish kids excluding Big-Z (so Petersson, Silvferberg, Sorensen, Rundblad, Claesson) all skated, passed and shot with their heads-up. It doesn’t sound like much, but the fact they were going through all the drills with their head always up, and were able to make plays/receive passes speaks volumes to where their development is and how well the Swedish leagues are preparing them.

The Sens clearly did not measure or weight in Lyamin, he isn’t 5’10” or 185lbs, he looked in 6’2”-6’3” 210lbs range. Seemed pretty uninspired though, I don’t think he really has interest in being here or in the NHL. This must be kind of ‘one more look’ thing for B.Murray and the Sens brass (Mind you it is also their first look at him in Ottawa.)

Sens brass seemed to be looking at Matt O’Conner more than the other two goalies…might be a depth signing for Elmira (ECHL)

A lot of people were surprised by Rundblad’s size, but the one thing to note is Rundy is very athletic, so while he isn’t overly filled out, what he does have is pure muscle-mass.

Noesen was having a rough time hitting the net with one-timers.

Max McCormick was very skilled with his hands when in tight and in front of the net.

Going to spend most my time tomorrow watching Rundblad, Silvferberg, Culek, Grant and Blood

I'll post some video once I clean it up

Sens Development Camp Day 1 Img-2012

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?blogger_id=121
Share this post on: reddit

spader

Post Tue Jun 28, 2011 7:27 pm by spader

Thanks for that. TipHat

22_4_ever

Post Tue Jun 28, 2011 7:29 pm by 22_4_ever

MC,

What was (if any) your opinion on Silfverberg and his effort level during drills. I don't doubt for a minute he has skill. He has tonnes of it, I was very disappointed at his effort level. For me it wasn't as high as the others that were there.

wprager

Post Tue Jun 28, 2011 7:35 pm by wprager

TwoThumbsUp!

TheAvatar

Post Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:18 pm by TheAvatar

Thanks Mark

LeCaptain

Post Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:26 pm by LeCaptain

I'm sure Noesen's one timer is fine, some of his goals on youtube are pure laser one timers from the let faceoff circle.

The Silfer Server

Post Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:03 pm by The Silfer Server

Thanks a lot for that Mark, that was an incredible write-up!!!

But just to note, I'm pretty sure neither Ben Blood nor Chris Wideman have been signed yet, and will be returning to their respective schools for their senior years.

And that's great news for Wideman. I've been pretty critical of him and really not expecting much due to his lack of size (based on what's posted) and less than stellar numbers. Figured a dman listed as 5'10, 170lbs and touted as an offensive dman should be killing it in points, and he simply isn't, and seems to have plateaued offencively.

PTFlea

Post Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:06 pm by PTFlea

Great write up, love to hear about these guys.

M_Christopher

Post Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:19 pm by M_Christopher

22_4_ever wrote:MC,

What was (if any) your opinion on Silfverberg and his effort level during drills. I don't doubt for a minute he has skill. He has tonnes of it, I was very disappointed at his effort level. For me it wasn't as high as the others that were there.

Yeah he didn't seem to have the same drive or compete level as others, but from what I gathered he and Petersson may both have injuries still lingering from their seasons.

I'm gonna focus on Silfverberg tomorrow, so it'll be interesting to see how he comes out tomorrow.

Ev

Post Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:21 pm by Ev

I wish they had real goalies there, lol

M_Christopher

Post Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:22 pm by M_Christopher

Bass Destruction wrote:
But just to note, I'm pretty sure neither Ben Blood nor Chris Wideman have been signed yet, and will be returning to their respective schools for their senior years.

Blood does have the opportunity to return to North Dakota, but from what I gather he wants to make the jump even if it's just to the AHL. So he's playing for his contract right now.

Wideman does have another year at Miama but he's after the samething right now.

M_Christopher

Post Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:22 pm by M_Christopher

Big Ev wrote:I wish they had real goalies there, lol

Yeah a Lehner appearance would be nice.

Post Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:24 pm by NEELY

Bass Destruction wrote:Thanks a lot for that Mark, that was an incredible write-up!!!

And that's great news for Wideman. I've been pretty critical of him and really not expecting much due to his lack of size (based on what's posted) and less than stellar numbers. Figured a dman listed as 5'10, 170lbs and touted as an offensive dman should be killing it in points, and he simply isn't, and seems to have plateaued offencively.

Really? I like him a lot as a prospect and thought Murray did a fantastic job in the 4th round to get him. I had no idea at the time that Murray would load up with Rundblad in a deal, so I think Wideman's spot on the right side is all but gone at this point, but still a nice depth player to have. I don't think he has any chance at moving into Ottawa now with Rundblad, Karlsson, Lee, and Gryba all ahead of him and all under 25. Left side will be made up of Phillips (think he has 5 or 6 years left), Cowen, Boroweicki, and Weircoich.

So much depth it's pretty close to a crime.

Post Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:26 pm by NEELY

M_Christopher wrote:
Bass Destruction wrote:

Blood does have the opportunity to return to North Dakota, but from what I gather he wants to make the jump even if it's just to the AHL. So he's playing for his contract right now.

I don't think they sign any deals, Bingo still needs guys like Borowiecki, Weircoich, and to a lesser extent Gryba to develop without a ton of pressure. Signing guys like Benoit, Smith, and Kinrade are probably more of a priority. Not a ton of room on that blueline either, we'll see Friday though.

M_Christopher

Post Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:32 pm by M_Christopher

NEELY wrote:
M_Christopher wrote:
Bass Destruction wrote:

I don't think they sign any deals, Bingo still needs guys like Borowiecki, Weircoich, and to a lesser extent Gryba to develop without a ton of pressure. Signing guys like Benoit, Smith, and Kinrade are probably more of a priority. Not a ton of room on that blueline either, we'll see Friday though.

Saving grace for Blood is the organization lack of confidence in Derek Smith as a legit option in the future.

From what I gather Benoit and Smith are just stop-gaps until they find another player needing the ice-time. I would say it all depends on what Ottawa does this summer with Carkner, Kuba and/or Lee.

Post  by Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum