GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Blog: Sens Development Camp Day 1

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

M_Christopher

M_Christopher
Sophomore
Sophomore

Just a quick one-off: Walking into the Bell Sensplex, Tim Murray was beside me talking to someone, stating they were still talking about whether Benoit will be returning or not.

Development Camp Day 1:

Curtis Lazar – Sporting 27, Lazar had a decent first day. Flashed a very dangerous looking backhand all afternoon, and has very good vision when parked out front tipping shots and cleaning up rebounds. Very average looking size-wise, but very slippery in the corners and along the boards. Only knock I could see was his conditioning seemed a little behind compared to other players, which for day 1 of the camp, isn’t a big deal.

Matt Puempel – Showed off his newfound speed that made him a goal-scoring machine for Kitchener last season. Looks like he is progressing very well, and should have a good year in Bingo. The biggest thing that’ll hold him back from an NHL try-out is he needs to get stronger on the puck. Numerous times today he got out-muscled when fighting for the puck.

Stefan Noesen – Looked slightly bigger then the camp roster has him listed at. Really based on size alone he looks like he’s NHL ready. Based on what I saw today, Noesen has plenty to like about him. Very strong on the puck and down along the boards, and looked very aware of everything developing around him. In all honesty if anyone knew is going to make the Sens roster this year it’ll be Noesen.

Shane Prince – I’m pretty sure every year people say the same thing about Prince: He is very fast. The most amazing thing about his speed is how effortless it looks when he hits high gear and separates himself from others. Once again he was showing off an absolute rocket of a wrist-shot. I couldn’t find any real knock on him today.

J.G. Pageau – Not much to say that the collective hockey world has already noticed. Very fast, and creative with the puck, and very strong when he gets low, no one seemed able to separate him from the puck 1-on-1.

Troy Rutowski – Don’t know much about him to start, but his slick-hands were what stood out to me. For a defenseman, he seems creative with the puck, and confident in his puck-skills. Very strong and smart while back-checking, and seemed to read the play well. Looked like he could stand to bulk up a bit more.

Cody Ceci – My first thought was something looks wrong with Ceci. I’m not sure what it was but nothing about his performance today looked right. He got a little better as the day progressed, but he looked more like a walk-on then a 1st round pick. Here’s hoping he is just sick or injuried.

Buddy Robinson – Undrafted and late joiner to Bingo last year, Buddy is an absolute man-beast. Roster has him listed at 6’5” 225, but a few others and me felt he was easily 6’7”. Biggest guy at the camp for sure. He’s not the fastest skater, but a very smooth and strong skater for his size. His hand-eye seemed to be very good too. Could be an absolute diamond in the rough for the Sens, definitely a guy to watch in Bingo nest season.

Tobias Lindberg – Our new Swede-player, Lindberg showed flashes of his skill, but was clearly uncomfortable on day 1. Stuck close to Zibanejad when he could, and seemed to be always skating with his head down.

Fredrik Claesson - Not much to say, mainly because he is a shutdown D-man by nature. It’s clear he’s been working on his skating, was one of only a few that seemed capable of playing against Pageau, Conacher and Zibanejad. I’ve always loved what he brings, so I may be a bit of homer in regards to him.

Cory Conacher – He is so friggin short, it’s just crazy. Like Pageau not much is needed to be said about Conacher, his skill-set looks much further ahead than most of the prospects here.

Max McCormick – I didn’t try to focus on him, but he stood out today. One of the harder working players today, McCormick never gave up on any play/drill until the whistle was blown, even throw a decent hit. Has a real nice snapshot.

Derek Grant – Didn’t follow him much today, but he looks like he has rounded out nicely, similar to Colin Greening.

Jakub Culek – Was nowhere to be found today, not sure if was just late arriving to town or if an illness or injury kept him out today.

Mika Zibanejad – Clearly a man among boys. Big-Z is at camp to be a ‘veteran’ player and lead by example.

Mark Stone – Stone was kept separate from main camp, instead skating with Maidens and a trainer on a separate sheet of ice. Clearly still recovering from his post-season injury.

Jarrod Maidens – Skated with Stone on separate ice, and spent majority of time working on his skating.

Big-Z and Conacher spent sometime after the practice with a trainer to help Ryan Dzingel with some skating drills.

I’ll be back again tomorrow at the Camp and I’ll post another run down tomorrow.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?blogger_id=121
Share this post on: reddit

SensHulk

Post Wed Jul 03, 2013 5:38 pm by SensHulk

Thanks for the write-up dude. Nice to see Z-bad being the best of the bunch. Noesen's progress is great as is puempel. I'm liking Zbad+Conacher+JGP being pros at this.

also i've heard enough. TRADE CECI

M_Christopher

Post Wed Jul 03, 2013 5:40 pm by M_Christopher

Michallica wrote:Thanks for the write-up dude. Nice to see Z-bad being the best of the bunch.  Noesen's progress is great as is puempel. I'm liking Zbad+Conacher+JGP being pros at this.

also i've heard enough.  TRADE CECI

Yeah I'll be keeping an eye on Ceci the whole camp. After a bad season, you'd think he'd be coming to camp ready to impress and he certainly didn't do that today

PTFlea

Post Wed Jul 03, 2013 6:15 pm by PTFlea

Noesen and Prince are gonna force their way into the NHL - soon.

Post Wed Jul 03, 2013 6:34 pm by sandysensfan

Thanks for the update.

I'm going to the Saturday night scrimmage.

Post Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:22 pm by DirtyDave

Great write up. Thanks!

Ev

Post Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:28 pm by Ev

M_Christopher wrote:
Michallica wrote:Thanks for the write-up dude. Nice to see Z-bad being the best of the bunch.  Noesen's progress is great as is puempel. I'm liking Zbad+Conacher+JGP being pros at this.

also i've heard enough.  TRADE CECI

Yeah I'll be keeping an eye on Ceci the whole camp. After a bad season, you'd think he'd be coming to camp ready to impress and he certainly didn't do that today

even though I don't like Ceci, I don't think it matters too much. I say the same thing every year.

tim1_2

Post Thu Jul 04, 2013 7:51 am by tim1_2

Thanks for the writeup. Disappointing news on Ceci, but everything else sounded pretty good!

Ev

Post Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:27 am by Ev

Ceci: was dynamite out there, has such a hard clapper, seems to me he is ready for the bigs but being an important player in Bingo for a year would also be good for him.

Cody Ceci was another guy who really stood out to me. The drills today didn't really show the offensive sides of our defensive prospects but Ceci seemed great defensively. Very active stick and used his body. Seems ready if not close.

Cody Ceci – seem to be getting a lot of instruction from coaches, not sure if they are trying to push him more. He has all the tools as well, good skater, good passer with a good hard shot. Needs to work on the defensive side of the game, isn’t very aggressive or physical, lets the game come to him. Is excellent in transition though & likes to rush the puck. Not sure how long it will take him to be NHL ready because the offensive side of the game is already very close.

point being this whole dev camp evaluation is pretty meaningless really

Last edited by Ev on Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:28 am; edited 1 time in total

Post Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:27 am by NEELY

I'm not biggest Ceci fan in the world (don't hate him either) but I wouldn't put a ton of stock into a practice. A lot of guys look very normal or disinterested during practice. A camp like this just gives you a glimps of what guys can do. Peterson is a guy that dominated at these things and to date has played 1 NHL game. Ah Peterson, the forgotten prospect... hope he makes a little noise this year.

tim1_2

Post Thu Jul 04, 2013 9:04 am by tim1_2

The one guy I remember seeing at a Dev camp that REALLY stood out was Silfverberg.

What I enjoy more is the rookie tournament (do they even still do that?)...different teams' young guys going up against each other. I remember Spezza kicking the Dung out of some other teams' prospect in a fight...it was at The Bob too if memory serves correctly.

LeCaptain

Post Thu Jul 04, 2013 9:28 am by LeCaptain

tim1_2 wrote:The one guy I remember seeing at a Dev camp that REALLY stood out was Silfverberg.

What I enjoy more is the rookie tournament (do they even still do that?)...different teams' young guys going up against each other.  I remember Spezza kicking the Dung out of some other teams' prospect in a fight...it was at The Bob too if memory serves correctly.

http://senators.nhl.com/club/blogpost.htm?id=18203

Four NHL teams will converge on Budweiser Gardens in London from Sept. 5-8 for a rookie tournament featuring the Ottawa Senators, Toronto Maple Leafs, Pittsburgh Penguins and Chicago Blackhawks. Each team will play three games over the four days. Friday Sept. 6 will be a practice day for each of the squads.

tim1_2

Post Thu Jul 04, 2013 9:39 am by tim1_2

Thanks LeKing! Yeah, that's the rookie tournament....great hockey, and very intense.

M_Christopher

Post Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:11 am by M_Christopher

Ev are those quotes from someone else for this year, or was it from last year?

Ev

Post Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:31 am by Ev

M_Christopher wrote:Ev are those quotes from someone else for this year, or was it from last year?

it was from this year: http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1458735&page=5

I wasn't posting that to say you were wrong by the way, just showing how varying opinions can be. Thanks for all your thoughts.

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum