GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Spezza a future Captain for the Sens?

+17
stempniaksen
Straight Shooter
shabbs
tim1_2
CockRoche
spader
asq2
SensGirl11
SensHulk
SDH89
PTFlea
SeawaySensFan
rooneypoo
wprager
Riprock
Number Twenty Nine
Cap'n Clutch
21 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 6]

1Spezza a future Captain for the Sens? Empty Spezza a future Captain for the Sens? Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:22 am

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Take this with a grain of salt since it's the Sun and it's Don Brennan. There's also no direct quote of Alfredsson saying he'd endorse Spezza as the next Captain. I wonder if it's just Brennan extrapolating from what Alfredsson actually said. Have a read through the article yourself but here is the part that made me post this topic.

Alfredsson believes the Senators missed Spezza both on and off the ice. It is such an endorsement by the captain that he’d also recommend Spezza to take over his ‘C’ when he retires.

http://www.ottawasun.com/sports/hockey/2011/02/08/17204101.html

Number Twenty Nine

Number Twenty Nine
Veteran
Veteran

He's the true next captain, not Phillips.

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I just found it very interesting, if true, that Alfredsson would endorse Spezza to take the "C" upon Alfie's retirement. Perhaps he's more well respected and more of a leader than people give him credit for? I personally didn't think he deserved the "A" this year so I'm guilty of underestimating his impact on and off the ice. To hear that Alfie of all people would endorse a "C" for Spezza speaks volumes IMO.

**NOTE - I'm not entirely convinced Alfredsson actually said that and that it may just be Brennan taking Alfie's actual comments as a way to imply that he would endorse Spezza as Captain.

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

Spezza's quite vocal, isn't he? I thought there was a video recorded with audio of him being quite directive from the bench? That's one of the big characteristics and qualities for a captain - not only to be vocal, but to demand your attention and respect.

Spezza's the longest signed player in Ottawa, so might as well be someone you are certain has a future there.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Makes me wonder if there is a bit of a rift between Alfie and Phillips. There was an "incident" a couple, maybe three, weeks ago where the two of them had almost diametrically opposed views on a question asked by the media. I don't remember the details but I remember mentioning it here.

While I'm on record saying that I think Spezza could (and eventually would) wear the "C" I still thought they'd give it to Phillips first.

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

wprager wrote:Makes me wonder if there is a bit of a rift between Alfie and Phillips. There was an "incident" a couple, maybe three, weeks ago where the two of them had almost diametrically opposed views on a question asked by the media. I don't remember the details but I remember mentioning it here.

While I'm on record saying that I think Spezza could (and eventually would) wear the "C" I still thought they'd give it to Phillips first.

I wouldn't be surprised if Phillips is traded personally. There was also an article in the Sun today that mentions how close Phillips and Fisher are so perhaps there's a divide in the room? Maybe SSF can crack open that dusty bottle of champagne after all when Fisher gets traded?

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Dash wrote:Spezza's quite vocal, isn't he? I thought there was a video recorded with audio of him being quite directive from the bench? That's one of the big characteristics and qualities for a captain - not only to be vocal, but to demand your attention and respect.

Spezza's the longest signed player in Ottawa, so might as well be someone you are certain has a future there.

Not a great reason to make him captain IMO. The other stuff I agree with though.

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

Number Twenty Nine wrote:He's the true next captain, not Phillips.

Laugh1

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

rooneypoo wrote:

Laugh1

Is that smiley for Alfredsson's endorsement? Are you suggesting that you disagree with our Captain's choice of who he'd endorse as the next Captain?

10Spezza a future Captain for the Sens? Empty Re: Spezza a future Captain for the Sens? Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:05 am

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

wprager wrote:Makes me wonder if there is a bit of a rift between Alfie and Phillips. There was an "incident" a couple, maybe three, weeks ago where the two of them had almost diametrically opposed views on a question asked by the media. I don't remember the details but I remember mentioning it here.

If Spezza is ever made captain, it will be for the wrong reasons -- keeping him happy (given his contract, that's needed on our end) & organizational PR. True heart & soul guys aren't made captains very often any more (think of the Ethan Moreaus, Chris Clarks, Jason Smiths, etc., etc.). Organizations & managements (& not the guys in the locker room) now make these decisions largely with an eye to who puts up points & who has the baby face.

11Spezza a future Captain for the Sens? Empty Re: Spezza a future Captain for the Sens? Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:07 am

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

Cap'n Clutch wrote:

I wouldn't be surprised if Phillips is traded personally. There was also an article in the Sun today that mentions how close Phillips and Fisher are so perhaps there's a divide in the room? Maybe SSF can crack open that dusty bottle of champagne after all when Fisher gets traded?

With the Sens being losers of 15 of their last 16 games, I wouldn't be surprised at any player movement whatsoever at this point.

12Spezza a future Captain for the Sens? Empty Re: Spezza a future Captain for the Sens? Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:10 am

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

Cap'n Clutch wrote:
rooneypoo wrote:

Laugh1

Is that smiley for Alfredsson's endorsement? Are you suggesting that you disagree with our Captain's choice of who he'd endorse as the next Captain?

Spezza is not a 'true captain' in any sense of the word. He's not a 'lead by example guy' & he's not a 'carry the team on his (wonky) back' kind of guy either.

If he's made captain, it will be for the wrong reasons -- point totals, length of contract, & baby face.

The more I think about it, the less frequent it is that 'true captains' are actually made actual captains in the new NHL anymore. It's more of a marketing thing than anything now, if you ask me.

13Spezza a future Captain for the Sens? Empty Re: Spezza a future Captain for the Sens? Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:15 am

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

rooneypoo wrote:

If Spezza is ever made captain, it will be for the wrong reasons -- keeping him happy (given his contract, that's needed on our end) & organizational PR. True heart & soul guys aren't made captains very often any more (think of the Ethan Moreaus, Chris Clarks, Jason Smiths, etc., etc.). Organizations & managements (& not the guys in the locker room) now make these decisions largely with an eye to who puts up points & who has the baby face.

That still doesn't explain why Alfredsson would endorse Spezza as the next Captain. He has no reason to say that and he's not part of management or the PR department. Sure it's possible he never said it and it's just Brennan's musings but if it's true why would Alfie say that?

14Spezza a future Captain for the Sens? Empty Re: Spezza a future Captain for the Sens? Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:18 am

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

Cap'n Clutch wrote:
rooneypoo wrote:

That still doesn't explain why Alfredsson would endorse Spezza as the next Captain. He has no reason to say that and he's not part of management or the PR department. Sure it's possible he never said it and it's just Brennan's musings but if it's true why would Alfie say that?

I'll think about that one seriously when I hear it from Alfie's lips, & not filtered through CheapShots.

My early answer? Senility, intoxication, or a hatred born of losing 15 of the last 16 games.

15Spezza a future Captain for the Sens? Empty Re: Spezza a future Captain for the Sens? Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:27 am

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Cap'n Clutch wrote:Take this with a grain of salt since it's the Sun and it's Don Brennan. There's also no direct quote of Alfredsson saying he'd endorse Spezza as the next Captain. I wonder if it's just Brennan extrapolating from what Alfredsson actually said. Have a read through the article yourself but here is the part that made me post this topic.

Alfredsson believes the Senators missed Spezza both on and off the ice. It is such an endorsement by the captain that he’d also recommend Spezza to take over his ‘C’ when he retires.

http://www.ottawasun.com/sports/hockey/2011/02/08/17204101.html

This is what I said months ago.

I think Spezza has shown that he wants to lead at times and that he is in a good position to take that next step with The Alfie giving him a little guidance. If in fact The Alfie feels this way, I think it's very positive for the organization and will further motivate Spezza to become the player he has already made strides in becoming.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 6]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum