GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

General Hockey Talk - Injuries, signings, factoids + other news from around the league

+31
Oglethorpe
garblar
Hockeyhero22000
Bramlet07
SensFan71
dennycrane
sandysensfan
22_4_ever
stempniaksen
SDH89
The Silfer Server
asq2
Jordo
SensGirl11
Hoags
LeCaptain
Hobiesens
Cap'n Clutch
tim1_2
Number Twenty Nine
Riprock
PTFlea
rooneypoo
SeawaySensFan
wprager
spader
Ev
SensHulk
shabbs
TheAvatar
CockRoche
35 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 34 ... 65, 66, 67  Next

Go down  Message [Page 66 of 67]

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

Hoags wrote:
shabbs wrote:So, 0.4 seconds after Max has the puck, Chara is making contact... and then 0.6 seconds later he hits the turnbuckle.

Not a lot of time in there... fast fast game...

The game is so fast now they need to do something about such hits.

Sooner or later someone will break their neck and end their career and then they will have a real mess on their hands.

Done and done, isn't it?

NEELY

Mod
Mod

Hoags wrote:
shabbs wrote:So, 0.4 seconds after Max has the puck, Chara is making contact... and then 0.6 seconds later he hits the turnbuckle.

Sooner or later someone will break their neck and end their career and then they will have a real mess on their hands.

Short of taking hitting out of the game there isn't much you can do.

SeawaySensFan

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

shabbs wrote:
Hoags wrote:

If they can get rid of that friggin' turnbuckle, that will help...

They can probably put some rounded glass to make that corner somehow.

SensGirl11

SensGirl11
Mod
Mod

Air Canada Threatens to take funding and sponsorship away from NHL if they don't address head shots ASAP.

http://www.ottawasun.com/sports/hockey/2011/03/09/17559146.html

NEELY

Mod
Mod

This is getting so stupid. There would barely be a peep about this if it wasn't a Canadian Based team be it from TSN, fans, Air Canada, The Liberal Party, w/e. Everyone has their own interest at stake here and no ones actually gives as damn about MP other than his family and team.

SensGirl11

SensGirl11
Mod
Mod

Thinking back and having seen that hit on Max again, I'm starting to wonder if he did actually try to hurt him. I watched it on a big screen at home and saw a few different angles. I don't know...it's tough to say, I guess we can't really guess what he was thinking at the time and his intentions, I'd like to believe that he's not that malicious, but who knows. There are definitely heads spinning today with the lack of any kind of punishment on Chara. We haven't heard the last of this.

SensGirl11

SensGirl11
Mod
Mod

The Air Canada president that wrote the letter is probably a Habs fan too.

NEELY

Mod
Mod

SensGirl11 wrote:Thinking back and having seen that hit on Max again, I'm starting to wonder if he did actually try to hurt him. I watched it on a big screen at home and saw a few different angles. I don't know...it's tough to say, I guess we can't really guess what he was thinking at the time and his intentions, I'd like to believe that he's not that malicious, but who knows. There are definitely heads spinning today with the lack of any kind of punishment on Chara. We haven't heard the last of this.

He pushed him over the boards. Should be go on youtube and find every hit where momentum took a player over the side of the boards where there is no glass with it looking like the player pushed a little?

At this point, I'm fine with someone saying they need to make fundimental changes to the game, I am just sick of hearing and keep getting shocked by the amount of hypocrisy involved when people say "you can't take hitting out but this is unacceptable". You can't have it both way. If hitting is allowed there will be head shots, there iwll be injuries, and yes, eventually there will once again be a death at some point.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

SensGirl11 wrote:The Air Canada president that wrote the letter is probably a Habs fan too.

I believe AC HQ is in Montreal, but they also have their brand on the AC Center in TO, and they are heavy sponsors of all six Canadian teams (why do you think they keep going out of business). I don't know if this will do much at the BoG level in the NHL because the letter certainly comes off more like a fan than a corporate suit. Now, if Comcast/NBC comes out with a similarly worded letter then Chara would be suspended indefinitely the next time he sneezed, but Air Canada just doesn't have that kind of clout.

SensGirl11

SensGirl11
Mod
Mod

NEELY wrote:
SensGirl11 wrote:Thinking back and having seen that hit on Max again, I'm starting to wonder if he did actually try to hurt him. I watched it on a big screen at home and saw a few different angles. I don't know...it's tough to say, I guess we can't really guess what he was thinking at the time and his intentions, I'd like to believe that he's not that malicious, but who knows. There are definitely heads spinning today with the lack of any kind of punishment on Chara. We haven't heard the last of this.

He pushed him over the boards. Should be go on youtube and find every hit where momentum took a player over the side of the boards where there is no glass with it looking like the player pushed a little?

At this point, I'm fine with someone saying they need to make fundimental changes to the game, I am just sick of hearing and keep getting shocked by the amount of hypocrisy involved when people say "you can't take hitting out but this is unacceptable". You can't have it both way. If hitting is allowed there will be head shots, there iwll be injuries, and yes, eventually there will once again be a death at some point.

Also the fact that players are getting bigger and faster is also causing these more serious injuries. There's not much to be done there except to make the rinks ice surface bigger.

Last edited by SensGirl11 on Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:42 am; edited 1 time in total

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

SeawaySensFan wrote:
shabbs wrote:
Hoags wrote:

Put the tall glass all around. Players would have to get on the bench and off using a door *every time* and they'd have to adjust the Too Many Men rules -- just add a blue rectangle as a "safe zone" where players coming off the ice can stand and wait (as long as they are not actively engaging in the play) until their replacements are on the ice and the doorway is clear.

Or another suggestion is to add that same rectangle, forget the tall glass, but make it a penalty to hit a player into the boards in that blue rectangle. In other words if you want to hit someone head-ion, no problem, just don't direct the player toward the non-existent barrier. As funny as it sometimes is to see a player body-checked into the bench, I don't think any of us would be laughing if someone's skate slashed across the face or carotid artery of a couple of players sitting on the bench. We don't need that.

NEELY

Mod
Mod

Take hitting and fighting out. That's literally the solution to the head shot problem, the questionable hits, the violence, everything. If people say you can't take the hitting out and then voice their concern over head shots, concussions, violently hitting the glass, w/e, then they are total hypocrites.

NEELY

Mod
Mod

wprager wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:
shabbs wrote:
Hoags wrote:

Put the tall glass all around. Players would have to get on the bench and off using a door *every time* and they'd have to adjust the Too Many Men rules -- just add a blue rectangle as a "safe zone" where players coming off the ice can stand and wait (as long as they are not actively engaging in the play) until their replacements are on the ice and the doorway is clear.

Or another suggestion is to add that same rectangle, forget the tall glass, but make it a penalty to hit a player into the boards in that blue rectangle. In other words if you want to hit someone head-ion, no problem, just don't direct the player toward the non-existent barrier. As funny as it sometimes is to see a player body-checked into the bench, I don't think any of us would be laughing if someone's skate slashed across the face or carotid artery of a couple of players sitting on the bench. We don't need that.

LOL, dude, that's not gonna happen.

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

SensGirl11 wrote:Also the fact that players are getting bigger and faster is also causing these more serious injuries. There's not much to be done there except to make the rinks ice surface bigger.

The time to address that was back in the 90s when pretty much every team were getting new rinks. The NHL chose to pass on bigger ice surfaces in favour of a few more seats.

NEELY

Mod
Mod

SeawaySensFan wrote:
SensGirl11 wrote:Also the fact that players are getting bigger and faster is also causing these more serious injuries. There's not much to be done there except to make the rinks ice surface bigger.

The time to address that was back in the 90s when pretty much every team were getting new rinks. The NHL chose to pass on bigger ice surfaces in favour of a few more seats.

In all fairness there were a lot of rinks that were smaller like Maple Leafs Gardens, The Forum, The Boston Gardens, so on.

Fact of the matter is the game has eveolved to a point where they either have to make fundimental changes to the game or take 5 or 6 steps back, ie slow down the game, and shrink the players and the equipment.

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

NEELY wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:

In all fairness there were a lot of rinks that were smaller like Maple Leafs Gardens, The Forum, The Boston Gardens, so on.

Fact of the matter is the game has eveolved to a point where they either have to make fundimental changes to the game or take 5 or 6 steps back, ie slow down the game, and shrink the players and the equipment.

Indeed. And those rinks were all being phased out or plans were in place to phase them out at roughly the same time. Everyone knew how the game was evolving and the speed and size factor we now see before our eyes was absolutely predicted at that time.

Everyone knew what was coming and everyone passed on the bigger ice surface for the sake of seat revenue.

SensGirl11

SensGirl11
Mod
Mod

SeawaySensFan wrote:
NEELY wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:

Indeed. And those rinks were all being phased out or plans were in place to phase them out at roughly the same time. Everyone knew how the game was evolving and the speed and size factor we now see before our eyes was absolutely predicted at that time.

Everyone knew what was coming and everyone passed on the bigger ice surface for the sake of seat revenue.

Wow, that's terrible. Look where we're at now too. I wonder how many are regretting that decision.

stempniaksen

stempniaksen
Veteran
Veteran

This was a freak accident, if the league changed the rules every time something like this happened the game would look completely different.

Unpopular opinion? Maybe. Put me on the league's side though.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 66 of 67]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 34 ... 65, 66, 67  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum