GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

General Hockey Talk - Injuries, signings, factoids + other news from around the league

+31
Oglethorpe
garblar
Hockeyhero22000
Bramlet07
SensFan71
dennycrane
sandysensfan
22_4_ever
stempniaksen
SDH89
The Silfer Server
asq2
Jordo
SensGirl11
Hoags
LeCaptain
Hobiesens
Cap'n Clutch
tim1_2
Number Twenty Nine
Riprock
PTFlea
rooneypoo
SeawaySensFan
wprager
spader
Ev
SensHulk
shabbs
TheAvatar
CockRoche
35 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 35 ... 65, 66, 67

Go down  Message [Page 67 of 67]

SeawaySensFan

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

NEELY wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:
SensGirl11 wrote:Also the fact that players are getting bigger and faster is also causing these more serious injuries. There's not much to be done there except to make the rinks ice surface bigger.

The time to address that was back in the 90s when pretty much every team were getting new rinks. The NHL chose to pass on bigger ice surfaces in favour of a few more seats.

In all fairness there were a lot of rinks that were smaller like Maple Leafs Gardens, The Forum, The Boston Gardens, so on.

Fact of the matter is the game has eveolved to a point where they either have to make fundimental changes to the game or take 5 or 6 steps back, ie slow down the game, and shrink the players and the equipment.

Indeed. And those rinks were all being phased out or plans were in place to phase them out at roughly the same time. Everyone knew how the game was evolving and the speed and size factor we now see before our eyes was absolutely predicted at that time.

Everyone knew what was coming and everyone passed on the bigger ice surface for the sake of seat revenue.

SensGirl11

Mod
Mod

SeawaySensFan wrote:
NEELY wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:
SensGirl11 wrote:Also the fact that players are getting bigger and faster is also causing these more serious injuries. There's not much to be done there except to make the rinks ice surface bigger.

The time to address that was back in the 90s when pretty much every team were getting new rinks. The NHL chose to pass on bigger ice surfaces in favour of a few more seats.

In all fairness there were a lot of rinks that were smaller like Maple Leafs Gardens, The Forum, The Boston Gardens, so on.

Fact of the matter is the game has eveolved to a point where they either have to make fundimental changes to the game or take 5 or 6 steps back, ie slow down the game, and shrink the players and the equipment.

Indeed. And those rinks were all being phased out or plans were in place to phase them out at roughly the same time. Everyone knew how the game was evolving and the speed and size factor we now see before our eyes was absolutely predicted at that time.

Everyone knew what was coming and everyone passed on the bigger ice surface for the sake of seat revenue.

Wow, that's terrible. Look where we're at now too. I wonder how many are regretting that decision.

stempniaksen

Veteran
Veteran

This was a freak accident, if the league changed the rules every time something like this happened the game would look completely different.

Unpopular opinion? Maybe. Put me on the league's side though.

NEELY

Mod
Mod

stempniaksen wrote:This was a freak accident, if the league changed the rules every time something like this happened the game would look completely different.

Unpopular opinion? Maybe. Put me on the league's side though.

All I am saying is if the league wants accidents like this one to stop along with headshots, hitting needs to be taken out of the game. I'm not saying whether that's what I believe or not (I don't for the record), all I am saying is that's the only way to stop it and yes, the game would be completely different and I probably wouldn't watch that game.

-------

http://www.gmhockey.com/viewtopic.forum?t=5257

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 67 of 67]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 35 ... 65, 66, 67

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum