GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Shanny to the Rangers - Update

+3
PTFlea
Cap'n Clutch
Cronie
7 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 3]

31Shanny to the Rangers - Update - Page 3 Empty Re: Shanny to the Rangers - Update Thu Aug 14, 2008 9:05 pm

rooneypoo

All-Star
All-Star

wprager wrote:

Who was it that said "If only I'd had more time, I would have written less" (I see similar quotes attributed to Eliot, Twain, Jefferson, Pascal and a few others).

Writing for a living does not entitle you to write more; just better, hopefully.

Sorry if I come across in a negative way, but I have to admit that sometimes I have trouble getting through the full post. And that's a shame, because I feel you can contribute in a very positive way with your comments and opinions. Keep up the good work, but take it easy on the old quill a bit.

Wow, beat up on rooneypoo night, is it? Sad

To be fair, I never said and nor do I feel that I am entitled to write more. All I said was that I think my background as a teacher of essay writing and grammar courses as well as a professional editor make me somewhat able to judge what is and isn't superflous. I always try to make every word, every sentence contribute to a point I'm making. I'm sorry if you don't feel that way, tho', and as I said to the Cap'n, I do do my best to keep it short and sweet -- but some occasions call for more.

32Shanny to the Rangers - Update - Page 3 Empty Re: Shanny to the Rangers - Update Thu Aug 14, 2008 9:34 pm

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

rooneypoo wrote:

Wow, beat up on rooneypoo night, is it? Sad

To be fair, I never said and nor do I feel that I am entitled to write more. All I said was that I think my background as a teacher of essay writing and grammar courses as well as a professional editor make me somewhat able to judge what is and isn't superflous. I always try to make every word, every sentence contribute to a point I'm making. I'm sorry if you don't feel that way, tho', and as I said to the Cap'n, I do do my best to keep it short and sweet -- but some occasions call for more.

Uh-oh. I was afraid I might have gone too far. I apologize. That said, I know for a fact (from my kids, no less) that I can be too wordy for my own good. Does that qualify me as an expert? Perhaps. Like I said, I feel you have very good, positive comments/opinions to contribute but, on occasion, I've found myself struggling to read every word.

33Shanny to the Rangers - Update - Page 3 Empty Re: Shanny to the Rangers - Update Thu Aug 14, 2008 9:42 pm

rooneypoo

All-Star
All-Star

wprager wrote:

Uh-oh. I was afraid I might have gone too far. I apologize. That said, I know for a fact (from my kids, no less) that I can be too wordy for my own good. Does that qualify me as an expert? Perhaps. Like I said, I feel you have very good, positive comments/opinions to contribute but, on occasion, I've found myself struggling to read every word.

No, no -- no need to apologise. I put that smiley face thing in there to indicate mock hurt-feelings.

In self-defence of the occasional long post, all I can say is that I certainly feel much more confident in my writing skills and judgment than I do my hockey or cap knowledge. If you respect what I have to say hockey-wise, then I hope you will one day come to respect my discretion as a writer and editor.

But let it die there. We should be talking hockey, not writing. I do more than enough of that with my 1st-years!

34Shanny to the Rangers - Update - Page 3 Empty Re: Shanny to the Rangers - Update Fri Aug 15, 2008 12:57 am

Acrobat

Acrobat
Veteran
Veteran

With all of that put to rest, can I formally request a new topic/thread/group be created specifically to allow explanations/discussion around the cap and CBA?
I think that these issues often come up, and can often result in discussions that end up being repeated over and over again. If topics are (judiciously) created, perhaps with "sticky" explanations at the top of each, we can slowly build our own version of a FAQ, but with consensus where issues aren't quite clear. These can then be referenced where necessary, and perhaps we can avoid becoming like some of the forums on HB.

Did I explain myself properly? or am I just babbling because it's late?

35Shanny to the Rangers - Update - Page 3 Empty Re: Shanny to the Rangers - Update Fri Aug 15, 2008 7:50 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Acrobat wrote:With all of that put to rest, can I formally request a new topic/thread/group be created specifically to allow explanations/discussion around the cap and CBA?
I think that these issues often come up, and can often result in discussions that end up being repeated over and over again. If topics are (judiciously) created, perhaps with "sticky" explanations at the top of each, we can slowly build our own version of a FAQ, but with consensus where issues aren't quite clear. These can then be referenced where necessary, and perhaps we can avoid becoming like some of the forums on HB.

Did I explain myself properly? or am I just babbling because it's late?

Good suggestion. No, you're not babbling (although that avatar makes it hard to concentrate on what you're wearing -- erm, I mean what you're saying).

36Shanny to the Rangers - Update - Page 3 Empty Re: Shanny to the Rangers - Update Fri Aug 15, 2008 6:24 pm

Acrobat

Acrobat
Veteran
Veteran

Sometimes I post just to see my own message... Smile

Does that make me a bad person?

37Shanny to the Rangers - Update - Page 3 Empty Re: Shanny to the Rangers - Update Sat Aug 16, 2008 10:03 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Acrobat wrote:Sometimes I post just to see my own message... Smile

Does that make me a bad person?

Umm, are you implying a spanking? Could be a PPV event.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum