GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

UPDATE Alexei Semenov turns down contract with Rangers, signs in Moscow for more than twice as much

+3
PTFlea
SeawaySensFan
shabbs
7 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Wow. Semenov signs a 1-year deal with the Rags and it's announced and then his wife says "hell no, you ain't going" and nixes the deal.

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/playerbreakingnews.asp?sport=NHL&id=1172&line=91275&spln=1

Wow. I guess he made a wrong assumption that she'd be cool with it.

Sounds like he's found a KHL team to sign with though...

http://www.newsday.com/blogs/sports/blue-notes-1.811976/alexei-semenov-signs-1-5-million-two-year-deal-in-russia-1.1503129

Hilarious.

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Nice of Slats to make him look like even more of a Front Bum by revealing he was crying.

If I was Big Al, I would have told Tatiana "Nice knowing you. Enjoy the borscht and vodka rations."

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

SeawaySensFan wrote:Nice of Slats to make him look like even more of a Front Bum by revealing he was crying.

If I was Big Al, I would have told Tatiana "Nice knowing you. Enjoy the borscht and vodka rations."

Laughing3 Everything about this is funny. The crying, the wife whipping him, everything. I never thought this Semenov guy would provide me with a legitimate giggle or two.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Why? We have no idea of her reasons, but his are pretty clear -- he is married and wants to remain that way. He can make more (or at least keep more) playing in Russia, then spend the summers in Sochi.

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

SpezDispenser wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:Nice of Slats to make him look like even more of a Front Bum by revealing he was crying.

UPDATE Alexei Semenov turns down contract with Rangers, signs in Moscow for more than twice as much 78253 Everything about this is funny. The crying, the wife whipping him, everything. I never thought this Semenov guy would provide me with a legitimate giggle or two.

Have you seen him play? UPDATE Alexei Semenov turns down contract with Rangers, signs in Moscow for more than twice as much 455378

That's gotta suck for him though. He must have worked his arse off to get that spot, and then his wife tells him he can't play in NY.

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

SpezDispenser wrote:

Everything about this is funny. The crying, the wife whipping him, everything. I never thought this Semenov guy would provide me with a legitimate giggle or two.

From Newsday:

The source said the Rangers offer was slightly less than $600,000 for one year. General manager Glen Sather had said both sides had agreed to the deal, but that Semenov's wife was unhappy with the terms. (Semenov's KHL contract is $1.5 million for two years).

Hm. That's a difference of $900,000. Looks like Semenov's wife is smarter than you give her credit for.
UPDATE Alexei Semenov turns down contract with Rangers, signs in Moscow for more than twice as much 668437

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Money wise and being close to home, it's the better decision, but I'm sure Alexei feels the NHL >>> KHL as far as hockey career goes.

Tuk Tuk

Tuk Tuk
Veteran
Veteran

1.5 each year, or 1.5 total?

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Tuk Tuk wrote:1.5 each year, or 1.5 total?
1.5 total over 2 years.

Tuk Tuk

Tuk Tuk
Veteran
Veteran

Than that's a difference of about 150,000, not 900,000... UPDATE Alexei Semenov turns down contract with Rangers, signs in Moscow for more than twice as much Confused

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Tuk Tuk wrote:Than that's a difference of about 150,000, not 900,000... UPDATE Alexei Semenov turns down contract with Rangers, signs in Moscow for more than twice as much Confused
NHL contract total: $600K
KHL contract total: $1.5M
Difference in total value: $900K

NHL contract is 1-year only and the KHL contract is 2 years.

Tuk Tuk

Tuk Tuk
Veteran
Veteran

Well why would you count a contract like that?

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Don't forget that hockey players in Russia get their salaries tax-free, and often have living expenses taken care of. Plus he's got family down there, which you can't really put a price on.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Tuk Tuk wrote:Well why would you count a contract like that?
Well, you can only count guaranteed money if you want to compare. On the NHL side, he's only guaranteed one year. On the KHL, he's guaranteed 2 years.

wprager wrote:Don't forget that hockey players in Russia get their salaries tax-free, and often have living expenses taken care of. Plus he's got family down there, which you can't really put a price on.

Yeah, all those perks for free. Just don't collapse on the bench. No, this isn't making light of a awful situation, just a harsh reality.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum