GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Cowen to Spokane

+11
Riprock
SensGirl11
Cap'n Clutch
Tuk Tuk
CockRoche
spader
wprager
dennycrane
Ev
Hobiesens
PTFlea
15 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 3]

1Cowen to Spokane Empty Cowen to Spokane Sat Oct 02, 2010 9:38 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

OTTAWA - The Ottawa Senators announced today they have reduced their training camp roster, re-assigning eight players to the Binghamton Senators of the American Hockey League and one returns to his junior team.

The players re-assigned to Binghamton today include goaltender Robin Lehner; defencemen Derek Smith and Patrick Wiercioch; and forwards Cody Bass, Bobby Butler, Ryan Keller, Francis Lessard and Corey Locke.

Defenceman Jared Cowen returns to his Western Hockey League team, the Spokane Chiefs.

The Senators roster is now comprised of 23 players: two goaltenders, eight defencemen and 13

2Cowen to Spokane Empty Re: Cowen to Spokane Sat Oct 02, 2010 9:40 pm

Hobiesens

Hobiesens
Sophomore
Sophomore

I figured they would give him a couple of games at least.

3Cowen to Spokane Empty Re: Cowen to Spokane Sat Oct 02, 2010 9:40 pm

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

I'd like to see him play a key role at the WJC.

4Cowen to Spokane Empty Re: Cowen to Spokane Sat Oct 02, 2010 9:41 pm

dennycrane

dennycrane
Veteran
Veteran

Can't argue with any of those decisions.

5Cowen to Spokane Empty Re: Cowen to Spokane Sat Oct 02, 2010 10:23 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

SpezDispenser wrote:OTTAWA - The Ottawa Senators announced today they have reduced their training camp roster, re-assigning eight players to the Binghamton Senators of the American Hockey League and one returns to his junior team.

The players re-assigned to Binghamton today include goaltender Robin Lehner; defencemen Derek Smith and Patrick Wiercioch; and forwards Cody Bass, Bobby Butler, Ryan Keller, Francis Lessard and Corey Locke.

Defenceman Jared Cowen returns to his Western Hockey League team, the Spokane Chiefs.

The Senators roster is now comprised of 23 players: two goaltenders, eight defencemen and 13

Aargh! I *hate it* when they do that. The roster can consist of 23 players, or it can be composed of 23 players, but it cannot comprise of anything. And yet that (blatantly incorrect) usage of the word has found its way not only into internet "journalism" but in the printed word, as well.

On the other hand, is Bingo going to be loaded or what! Let's just hope they all don't sulk because they didn't stick, and try even harder to get here.

6Cowen to Spokane Empty Re: Cowen to Spokane Sun Oct 03, 2010 12:09 am

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star

wprager wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:OTTAWA - The Ottawa Senators announced today they have reduced their training camp roster, re-assigning eight players to the Binghamton Senators of the American Hockey League and one returns to his junior team.

Aargh! I *hate it* when they do that. The roster can consist of 23 players, or it can be composed of 23 players, but it cannot comprise of anything. And yet that (blatantly incorrect) usage of the word has found its way not only into internet "journalism" but in the printed word, as well.

On the other hand, is Bingo going to be loaded or what! Let's just hope they all don't sulk because they didn't stick, and try even harder to get here.

According to Merriam-Webster online, the third definition of comprise says:

3: compose, constitute "a misconception as to what comprises a literary generation — William Styron" "about 8 percent of our military forces are comprised of women — Jimmy Carter"

...and then it says:

Although it has been in use since the late 18th century, sense 3 is still attacked as wrong. Why it has been singled out is not clear, but until comparatively recent times it was found chiefly in scientific or technical writing rather than belles lettres. Our current evidence shows a slight shift in usage: sense 3 is somewhat more frequent in recent literary use than the earlier senses. You should be aware, however, that if you use sense 3 you may be subject to criticism for doing so, and you may want to choose a safer synonym such as compose or make up.

Just sayin'

7Cowen to Spokane Empty Re: Cowen to Spokane Sun Oct 03, 2010 12:12 am

CockRoche

CockRoche
Veteran
Veteran

wprager wrote:

Meh. Most people hate grammar police so...

8Cowen to Spokane Empty Re: Cowen to Spokane Sun Oct 03, 2010 12:48 am

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wprager wrote:

Grammar nazi! LOL

I believe you use poor grammar in every one of your post, wprager. You should be italicizing words if you want to put emphasis on them, not putting them between two asterisks.

Wink

9Cowen to Spokane Empty Re: Cowen to Spokane Sun Oct 03, 2010 12:49 am

Tuk Tuk

Tuk Tuk
Veteran
Veteran

CockRoche wrote:
wprager wrote:

Meh. Most people hate grammar police so...

It's not grammar. It's not knowing how to speak the goddamn language. Dammit!

10Cowen to Spokane Empty Re: Cowen to Spokane Sun Oct 03, 2010 7:04 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

spader wrote:
According to Merriam-Webster online, the third definition of comprise says:

3: compose, constitute "a misconception as to what comprises a literary generation — William Styron" "about 8 percent of our military forces are comprised of women — Jimmy Carter"

There are actually two very distinct usages here. In the first one -- the quote from Styron -- it is used as a transitive verb, and I am 100% OK with that usage. In the quote from Carter it is used as an intransitive one. It's odd that M-W does not realize that distinction.

And Jimmy Carter is a peanut farmer with a fake smile.

spader wrote:...and then it says:

Although it has been in use since the late 18th century, sense 3 is still attacked as wrong. Why it has been singled out is not clear, but until comparatively recent times it was found chiefly in scientific or technical writing rather than belles lettres. Our current evidence shows a slight shift in usage: sense 3 is somewhat more frequent in recent literary use than the earlier senses. You should be aware, however, that if you use sense 3 you may be subject to criticism for doing so, and you may want to choose a safer synonym such as compose or make up.

Just sayin'

11Cowen to Spokane Empty Re: Cowen to Spokane Sun Oct 03, 2010 7:10 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Big Ev wrote:
Grammar nazi! LOL

I believe you use poor grammar in every one of your post, wprager. You should be italicizing words if you want to put emphasis on them, not putting them between two asterisks.

Wink

Well, I've got to live up to that name, then.

It's "...every one of your posts". Emphasis can be indicated with the use of italics, bolding or even underlying. Asterisks have long been used to indicate bolding. Try it when composing mail in Outlook. The older generation may remember what it used to be like before WYSIWYG editors. Frankly, I never got used to surrounding a word with slashes to indicate italics, but asterisks for bold worked great, IMO.

12Cowen to Spokane Empty Re: Cowen to Spokane Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:30 am

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

http://www.thescoutingreport.org/portland-winterhawks-spokane-chiefs-108-1092010/

The Chiefs are noticably younger this year on the backline, but are once again led by Ottawa first rounder Jared Cowen. Cowen (6-5″, 225 pounds) was quite possibly the best player on the ice in the first game (not counting Mac Carruth). His knee appears to be fully healed, as his skating really has taken on a high gear that we haven’t seen since before the injury. He scored on a nice snapshot from the high slot in the first game, and used his physical presence in each game to limit Portland’s top offensive line to just one goal in the two games. Cowen went +1 with 6 PIMs to go along with his goal for the two games.

13Cowen to Spokane Empty Re: Cowen to Spokane Wed Oct 13, 2010 12:08 pm

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

wprager wrote:
Big Ev wrote:
Grammar nazi! LOL

Wink

Well, I've got to live up to that name, then.

It's "...every one of your posts". Emphasis can be indicated with the use of italics, bolding or even underlying. Asterisks have long been used to indicate bolding. Try it when composing mail in Outlook. The older generation may remember what it used to be like before WYSIWYG editors. Frankly, I never got used to surrounding a word with slashes to indicate italics, but asterisks for bold worked great, IMO.

It's "...bolding or even underlining." Wink

- Unknown Author

14Cowen to Spokane Empty Re: Cowen to Spokane Wed Oct 13, 2010 4:20 pm

SensGirl11

SensGirl11
Mod
Mod

SpezDispenser wrote:http://www.thescoutingreport.org/portland-winterhawks-spokane-chiefs-108-1092010/

The Chiefs are noticably younger this year on the backline, but are once again led by Ottawa first rounder Jared Cowen. Cowen (6-5″, 225 pounds) was quite possibly the best player on the ice in the first game (not counting Mac Carruth). His knee appears to be fully healed, as his skating really has taken on a high gear that we haven’t seen since before the injury. He scored on a nice snapshot from the high slot in the first game, and used his physical presence in each game to limit Portland’s top offensive line to just one goal in the two games. Cowen went +1 with 6 PIMs to go along with his goal for the two games.

AWESOME!!! Keep it up!! Cowen to Spokane 85287

15Cowen to Spokane Empty Re: Cowen to Spokane Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:39 pm

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

I don't want to seem negative, but you really can't read too much into a review on a 6'5", 225+lb, almost 20 year old playing against younger and smaller guys. If he wasn't dominating, I would be worried, but it doesn't mean he'll be nearly as good at the pro level.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 3]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum