GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

NHLPA allows NHL to re-write a portion of the CBA

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I apologize if this has been posted but I didn't see it anywhere and I thought this was thread worthy.

Kovalchuk's new 15 year deal was approved and the CBA was re-written to add a clause about contracts where a player will be taken past the age of 41. I don't know the full details because I only saw it on CTV news.

Feel free to post a link on the details if you have one. This is big isn't it??

- Unknown Author

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Some details here:

From the NHLPA: http://www.nhlpa.com/News/Media-Releases/Details.aspx?R=40FD97CD-4FC9-44F1-B122-9D3665909841NHLPA:

TSN has some examples of how it will play out here: http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=332542

The NHL and NHLPA have agreed to these changes for the current CBA, however, they don't carry over into the new CBA automatically.

Which means, we're in for a show down.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

From DGB's latest entry (Behind the scenes look at the Kovalchuk negotiations):

Thursday, 11:30 p.m. - NHLPA negotiators attempt to ease league concerns over the length of Kovalchuk's contract by pointing out that while a 15 years may seem like a lot, you have to keep in mind that the way things are going at least three or four of those seasons will be cancelled by work stoppages.

Donald Fehr was the MLBPA's director during the strike and the cancellation of the World Series in 1994 -- yes, yes, the year that the Expos had the best record in the Majors and had 5 players on the All-Star team, with Moises Alou banging in the winning run. Do I hold a grudge, you betcha! Although I had moved to Ottawa in 1993 I was still a rabid Expos fan. Anyway, Fehr also successfully challenged the owners for collusion, which led to a $280M damages settlement to the players (yeah, probably a drop in the bucket, now that the average annual payroll is close to $90M).

Let me go Star Wars on you and say, "I've got a bad feelign about this."

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum