GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Predict the Standings!

+13
rooneypoo
SensGirl11
Cap'n Clutch
Riprock
SensHulk
stempniaksen
PKC
LeCaptain
wprager
sens4win
Ev
Flo The Action
PTFlea
17 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 7]

31Predict the Standings!   - Page 3 Empty Re: Predict the Standings! Tue Aug 31, 2010 3:03 pm

Ev

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

SpezDispenser wrote:
Big Ev wrote:I don't know guys, I'm liking Edmonton as a surprise team, kinda like Colorado last season. Adding Hall, Eberle, and Hemsky would make any team A LOT better.

You need defence and a goalie too though.

Whitney, Gilbert, Souray, Foster, and Smid. That's a pretty decent D.

With the offence they might have I don't think JDD will be problem...or Gerber, or Dubnyk. Somebody's gonna surprise and I think it's Edmonton.

32Predict the Standings!   - Page 3 Empty Re: Predict the Standings! Tue Aug 31, 2010 3:06 pm

Riprock

All-Star
All-Star

Souray won't be there though, not after he made it clear he doesn't want to be there, and the team feels the same way.

Still think Edmonton will be a good team, definitely exciting to watch, but keep the expectations low.

33Predict the Standings!   - Page 3 Empty Re: Predict the Standings! Tue Aug 31, 2010 3:07 pm

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Big Ev wrote:
Whitney, Gilbert, Souray, Foster, and Smid. That's a pretty decent D.

With the offence they might have I don't think JDD will be problem...or Gerber, or Dubnyk. Somebody's gonna surprise and I think it's Edmonton.

Whitney sucks like a vacuum though and Souray won't play for Edmonton IMO. Gilbert's been declining as well...

I dunno man, I know what you're saying, there's some electric youth on offense who don't know they should suck, but it's gonna be a challenge.

I think they pull an Islanders and are surprisingly in it until around January, then they'll just drop like a stone. I'll remember to give you props if they finish any higher than 13th though.

34Predict the Standings!   - Page 3 Empty Re: Predict the Standings! Tue Aug 31, 2010 3:08 pm

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Yeah I don't have them making the playoffs just yet...but they will be MUCH better than last year.

I don't mind Whitney. He was solid when he joined the Oil last season (47 point pace). The only thing that's been holding him up from being a perennial 50 point guy is his chronic foot injury.

35Predict the Standings!   - Page 3 Empty Re: Predict the Standings! Tue Aug 31, 2010 4:18 pm

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Talk about good timing...here's a good article on JDD and the Oilers goaltending situation:

http://communities.canada.com/edmontonjournal/blogs/hockey/archive/2010/08/31/jeff-deslauriers-can-get-the-job-done-for-the-oilers-so-don-t-worry-about-khabibulin.aspx

36Predict the Standings!   - Page 3 Empty Re: Predict the Standings! Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:10 pm

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

OK, great, so i've figured the standings i'm relatively happy with. and now, the mighty EAST!
Of course all this could change depending on who and if we get a player thru trade.

Washington
I believe Neuvirth and Varlamov can do a fine job for Washington. And anyways the opposition has to get at least 3 goals in if they want to have a chance to win against the caps. Let’s face it this is one of the best offensive teams in the league. Will be interesting to see if they can be better defensively.
Pittsburgh
Sydney Crosby can probably carry this team for years to come if he has to. Philly will come close to winning the conference but in the end I expect they’ll come on top. They may have lost Gonchar but the addition of very underrated Paul martin and sound defensive Z Mick will solidify this team more then they are credited. They may lack wingers but I’m sure they’ll find a way if they need to.
Boston
Can the B’s have a worst year then last year? Probably not. They’ve got more fire power and their young forwards are a year older. Wheeler is gonna have a good year, Horton finaly has talent around him. “the Giant” is playing for a new contract…. Still the Sens could pass them by if “a certain trade” happens.
Philadelphia
I think that Philly found a way to bond in the playoffs last year and I think they are the team everyone expected them to be last year. Mezaros is a question mark, but if he plays the second pairing that might suit him better. The PP will a big threat with 2 good units on D. question mark? Goaltending… seriously. I could see Philly making a trade half way thru the season to sort it out if a problem occurred. Simon Gagne gone? He barely played anyways Sarcasm . I’m not looking forward to facing these guys in the regular season. (or the playoffs)
Ottawa
I have a feeling there’s a team spirit building within the Sens locker room, that 12 game winning streak (during a period of injuries) and the playoffs has galvanized this team more then analysts give credit for. I think this is due in parts to the approach from the GM and coaching staff. There’s something about management that seems to resonate and that’s “we believe in you and we trust you guys” “play hard and you’ll be rewarded” both very positive instead of some coaching methods that are negatively trying to work the players. That said I hope we have a team that finds a way to avoid injuries. Younger player that are poised to have a better year like Karlsson, Regin (he better) and Foligno (he has to). Plus there’s this trade coming… Sarcasm
IMO Leclaire will show everyone why he’s got a pay check that size. I loved his playoff performance and I’m ready to love his regular season. Hopefully we have a few surprises to help out coming from Bingo (Butler/Wick)

New-Jersey
I’m very tempted to knock this team a few spots. Yes they have a lot of talent on a detheir forward top lines and cent top 4 D but Brodeur is bound to have a dung season any year now. NJ isn’t far from being the Calgary of the east. They traded away quite a few of their top prospects and picks and they’ve got only a few significant one left. The way lou’s dealing he’ll probably trade a few picks/prospects at the deadline in a final hail mary to win another cup. I liked the addition of arnott as he brings good leadership but in my book this team is sinking. A couple more years like this and they’ll have to look at being the ones trading for picks.
Buffalo
Welcome to the Miller show. All rides on him for this team to be a playoff contender. I don’t think their forward group gets much credit but last year was a poor example of what they can do. Look for Pominville and Roy to have a better year. Defence: Myers is the name of the game in Buffalo. Leopold is a top 4 at best and I fear what might happen if he’ on the first D unit .rivet is aging and Montador is alright.
This makes up for a very “average” D. still, they could climb a few spots or fall a few spots. Injuries and Miller will tell the true story of this club.
Atlanta
The thrash makes a return to the playoffs this year, in part thanks to kovalchuck . There’s no denying the pieces that went back in that trade. Furthering that approach, Atlanta acquired a number of strong players from Chicago. They have a strong group of forwards including a young Kane which will turn more heads this year. The back end is in good hands with Bogosian, Enstrom, Oduya and hainsey. And even further you have an amazing pavelec that showed he’s got what it takes to be number #1 and on the off days the thrash are secure with Chris Masson securing the fort.
Seriously, I could see this team ending up much higher then 8th. They could also be a playoff team for years to come. Something is finally going right in Atlanta... now that the Tzar is gone. Predict the Standings!   - Page 3 164414

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tampa Bay
I was tempted to place Tampa in 8th (and dropping Buffalo in 9th) but having a closer look at this team the cracks began to show. For sure Tampa has an amazing top 6 on board, but a somewhat standard bottom 6 to round things out. They’ve got good defence with Kubina, Ohlund and a new year for V H, but the slope drops down fast after an acceptable Clark. I was really excited for this team when they signed Elis but then I started wondering. Elis, having played his career with a defensively sound team in Nashville will find his job a lot harder in Florida. I find Green and Ellis are even strength so who ever holds the fort probably makes no difference. Also I expect a drop in production with Downie this year.
They hold one advantage over most other team in the east. They’ll get to play the panthers and Carolina 8 games each.

Montreal
If the Habs make it to 10th this year, they should count their lucky stars. I expect a full blown crumble in the hands of Price. They have some good D coming up the back but can they be effective stopping shots? Sure Hal Gil showed he could block shots in the playoffs, but this is a team that on a good night allows 50 shots on goal. They might as well tie a strainer to the net instead of price.
Also if they start on a losing streak the media/fans will burn the ship before it gets a chance to set sails.
No luck for this team of Smurfs as that stop sign might have spelt HALAK the Green light is now on sale (price... get it$? Predict the Standings!   - Page 3 164414 ) Facepalm

Toronto
Yep I figure the leafs will step it up this year. It’s hard to dispute the defence logjam they have. They might be short of a center and another top6 but for some reason if Burke thinks there’s an issue to be resolved during the season he that respect he’ll make a trade. I think bringing Giguere in might have the biggest impact with this team. Sure he lost his job in Anaheim but he could still be a #1 if need be. This is a healthy leafs team that upgraded from last year. In every respect. Don’t be fooled they’ll be in it and might scare into the playoffs.

NY Rangers

I hate the Rangers, I hate Sather and I hate how this team builds and trades their prospects. This might be the year where all come crumbling down. If Lindqvist has a bad one and Gaborik gets injured there’s no telling what could happen. They have some good young players but a lot of over-paid shells.

New York isles
On the right way up the ladder. Unfortunately this team is paying for players that don’t play(yashin/dipietro) maybe the latter makes it this year. Too young of a team to get anything serious going still the experience will be good. Will be interesting to see if Moulson can repeat.
Hang in there MR. Weight!

Carolina
Apart from E Stall this team has a few good 2nd liners. There’s a rebuild going on here, be patient Carolina you’ll be back on top within a few years. Cole will be dealt(again) at the deadline and so could Samsonov. My bet is they hold on to Jussi.

Florida
Tallon’s got his work cut-out. I think he plans on doing a repeat of last year and acquiring as many draft picks as possible this year. Heck, the number 1 overall isn’t a bad deal. Too bad this team will be relocated before they see the results. Too bad the few talents they’ll want to remain will live thru the next few years in this. Weiss will be gone in 3 years and booth is already regretting such a long contract. I hope the sand and the beer is enjoyable enough to watch the playoffs from TV.

37Predict the Standings!   - Page 3 Empty Re: Predict the Standings! Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:50 pm

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

so what only 4 of us did our homework Sarcasm

c'mon people, get it together....

38Predict the Standings!   - Page 3 Empty Re: Predict the Standings! Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:58 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I think we'll see more this month. Good write-ups Flo.

39Predict the Standings!   - Page 3 Empty Re: Predict the Standings! Sat Sep 04, 2010 1:22 am

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

What about awards?

Hart: Sidney Crosby
Art Ross: Sidney Crosby
Richard: Alex Ovechkin
Vezina: Roberto Luongo
Calder: Tyler Ennis
Norris: Dion Phaneuf
Jack Adams: Tom Renney
Selke: Pavel Datsyuk
Lady Byng: Dany Heatley

40Predict the Standings!   - Page 3 Empty Re: Predict the Standings! Sat Sep 04, 2010 1:43 am

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

Flo The Action wrote:so what only 4 of us did our homework Sarcasm

I could do a random one and still get it right Predict the Standings!   - Page 3 159628

41Predict the Standings!   - Page 3 Empty Re: Predict the Standings! Sat Sep 04, 2010 9:05 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Some of us have rich, fulfilling lives and we don't have time to do the proper research that is, clearly, required to produce high-quality team assessments and projections.

And some of us are just lazy.

42Predict the Standings!   - Page 3 Empty Re: Predict the Standings! Sat Sep 04, 2010 10:47 am

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wprager wrote:

Some of us have rich, fulfilling lives and we don't have time to do the proper research that is, clearly, required to produce high-quality team assessments and projections.

And some of us are just lazy.
i know, i doubt they make 15 sided die.

43Predict the Standings!   - Page 3 Empty Re: Predict the Standings! Sat Sep 04, 2010 11:44 am

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

One of my favourite things to do before the season starts. I failed miserably when I predicted the West last season so I won't bother this time and stick with the Eastern Conference.

EAST

WAS
PIT
OTT - I know it's a bold statement but I see Gonchar making a big difference along with other things of course.
PHI
NJD
BOS
BUF
MON
---------
NYR
TAM
ATL
TOR
NYI
FLA
CAR

- Unknown Author

44Predict the Standings!   - Page 3 Empty Re: Predict the Standings! Sat Sep 04, 2010 11:50 am

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Cap'n Clutch wrote:One of my favourite things to do before the season starts. I failed miserably when I predicted the West last season so I won't bother this time and stick with the Eastern Conference.

EAST

WAS
PIT
OTT - I know it's a bold statement but I see Gonchar making a big difference along with other things of course.
PHI
NJD
BOS
BUF
MON
---------
NYR
TAM
ATL
TOR
NYI
FLA
CAR
interesting. another one that thinks montreal wil compete. i just can't see it. they scraped in last year and that's with Halak. they might eller and a full year of subban but i'm expecting price to collapse under pressure.

45Predict the Standings!   - Page 3 Empty Re: Predict the Standings! Sat Sep 04, 2010 12:12 pm

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I think other teams in the east have gotten weaker so MON gets in by default almost.

- Unknown Author

46Predict the Standings!   - Page 3 Empty Re: Predict the Standings! Sat Sep 04, 2010 12:21 pm

PKC

PKC
All-Star
All-Star

Cap'n Clutch wrote:One of my favourite things to do before the season starts. I failed miserably when I predicted the West last season so I won't bother this time and stick with the Eastern Conference.

EAST

WAS
PIT
PHI
NJD
BOS
BUF
MON
---------
NYR
TAM
ATL
TOR
NYI
FLA
CAR

Doesn't have anything to do with a certain "mind-blowing trade" does it?

47Predict the Standings!   - Page 3 Empty Re: Predict the Standings! Sat Sep 04, 2010 1:06 pm

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

PKC wrote:

EAST

WAS
PIT
PHI
NJD
BOS
BUF
MON
---------
NYR
TAM
ATL
TOR
NYI
FLA
CAR

Nothing earth shattering. I just believe Michalek will have a better and healthier year and as much as people rag on Spezza I see him having a better year too.

- Unknown Author

48Predict the Standings!   - Page 3 Empty Re: Predict the Standings! Sun Sep 05, 2010 12:18 pm

Cap'n Clutch wrote:
PKC wrote:

EAST

WAS
PIT
PHI
NJD
BOS
BUF
MON
---------
NYR
TAM
ATL
TOR
NYI
FLA
CAR

Nothing earth shattering. I just believe Michalek will have a better and healthier year and as much as people rag on Spezza I see him having a better year too.

Spezza shouldn't have to carry the puck from his own end to the back of the team's net. His production sky-rocketed once he recovered from his injury, after Karlsson's return from the AHL and Regin's confidence boost/move to the first line. If Kovalev can get going on the PP, and Regin and Michalek put up 25-30 goals each, there's no reason why Spezza can't score 80-100 points this season.

Spezza - 35 goals
Alfie - 34
Michalek- 31
Regin - 28
Kovalev - 25
Fisher - 23
Kelly - 21
Foligno - 19

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 7]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Permissions in this forum: