GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Predict the Standings!

+13
rooneypoo
SensGirl11
Cap'n Clutch
Riprock
SensHulk
stempniaksen
PKC
LeCaptain
wprager
sens4win
Ev
Flo The Action
PTFlea
17 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 7]

16Predict the Standings!   - Page 2 Empty Re: Predict the Standings! Mon Aug 30, 2010 8:54 pm

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

PKC wrote:San Jose won't win their division.

Predict the standings then. Maybe, repeat maybe, the Kings or the Yotes can knock off the Sharks, but I wouldn't bet on it personally.

17Predict the Standings!   - Page 2 Empty Re: Predict the Standings! Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:10 pm

PKC

All-Star
All-Star

SpezDispenser wrote:

Predict the standings then. Maybe, repeat maybe, the Kings or the Yotes can knock off the Sharks, but I wouldn't bet on it personally.

I don't feel like doing a write up right now to be honest...I just wanted to wade in with my opinion that San Jose isn't going to win their division. With Nabokov gone, I don't think they're even the third best team in their division.

18Predict the Standings!   - Page 2 Empty Re: Predict the Standings! Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:35 pm

Ev

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PKC wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:

I don't feel like doing a write up right now to be honest...I just wanted to wade in with my opinion that San Jose isn't going to win their division. With Nabokov gone, I don't think they're even the third best team in their division.

Come on, you're not giving enough credit to Nitty or to their offense. Nabokov is a good goalie, but if they trusted him and really wanted to keep him, they would have. Nitty was decent in TB on a terrible team...all he need sto due is play average and they will probably still win that division (or come very close). They lost their captain and best d-man in Blake, but they still have a decent D.

You COULD make a case that LA might take over as top dogs in their division, but there's no way that Phoenix, Anaheim, or Dallas are better than San Jose...at least on paper, which is all you an go by right now.

19Predict the Standings!   - Page 2 Empty Re: Predict the Standings! Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:46 pm

stempniaksen

stempniaksen
Veteran
Veteran

New weakest division in hockey?

San Jose: Huge losses with Nabby and Blake and a (for the most part) immobile defence paired with a guy in Marleau who's production should drop and a couple 1way players in Thornton and Heatley.

Phoenix: Loss of top line center on a team that already had depth issues up the middle. Bryzgalov will have to stand on his head again this season, can lightning strike twice?

Los Angeles: Get's rid of a player with some upside in Frolov only to replce him with Ponikarovsky who hasn't shown sucess out of Toronto. Will improve a bit, but still a young team with no scoring theat.

Anaheim: One of the weakest defences in the entire league and past Visnovsky they might not have a top-four guy in their lineup. One line team with a weak back end and somewhat questionable goaltending (remind anyone else of a certain team from 2 years ago?)

Dallas: Let Modano, Lehtinen and Turco go and make no moves to solidify their weakest position of all, their defence. They have some decent young pieces, but they are a patchwork team that's gonna need to shed more salary this season.

20Predict the Standings!   - Page 2 Empty Re: Predict the Standings! Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:29 pm

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

ok here's my evaluation... well part 1: how the west was won.... Sarcasm
the east will come tomorrow as i'm a little unsure on the standings.

Vancouver
With the possibility of Salo being out till mid-season Vancouver will benefit from having Bieksa on board till he comes back. Probably one of the better balanced teams in the west.
San Jose
I would of kept SJ in the # 1 position but the departure of Nabokov leaves a certain uncertainty as to how good will be the goaltending in SJS. I’m sure if worst comes to worst they could tend Niemi an offer. Strong offensive team they could use another top 4 D-man.
Chicago
I think the hawks did a reasonable job getting under the cap, leaving room for a few prospects to carve themselves a place on this young cup winning team. Big question mark? Turco.
Los Angeles
One of my favourite teams in the west, LA wasn’t as active acquiring FA as most would liked. I think that with 2 young a able goaltenders, a young a talented top 4 D and a maturing forward core, LA is the next Chicago. Plus with plenty of prospects ready or almost ready if LA should feel the need to acquire some fire power they have the tools to make it happen.
Detroit
In my eyes Detroit could go either way. Up or down. Young Jimmy Howard could pull a Steve Masson sophomore and I doubt Osgood can be much more then a back-up now. I think there’s no doubt Detroit are a playoff team but where they sit will depend on how many injuries they can avoid. But they might sit anywhere between the 2nd spot and the 8th .
Nashville
There is no questioning the ability of Nashville when it comes to scouting and developing players. They still sit on a good core of players and a good crop of prospects. If they could somehow find it in their pockets to spend up to the cap they would probably find themselves in the top 5.
St-Louis
A very young team that is ready to enter the playoff group. Plenty of young talent here, could use a little more vets and I expect Halak to do what he did for the Canadians here.
Calgary
I wasn’t even going to put Calgary into a playoff position but I was looking at them on paper and I can’t help think that they hit rock bottom last year. Their defensive group is much better then it faired and they have enough talent in there forward group to make the playoffs. On the other hand, this might be one of their last year making the playoffs. With very little coming up the ladder this team might have to make some drastic changes if they really want to be cup challengers.
----------------------------------------------------------------
Columbus
Will rebound and will come close to making the playoffs. Expect Masson will find his ways and if they could acquire an offensive defenseman, they might just make it.
Anaheim
Good group of forwards(counting they still have B Ryan) but lacking a little on the back-end. Hiller might push them into the playoffs.
Phoenix
I don’t expect Bryzgalov will save the day and depending on if the rookies perform and if OLM makes the team will mostly decide where they do end-up and if they fight for a playoff berth. My verdict: they relapse.
Colorado
I doubt Andersson can pull of a Brodeur-esque season and last years crop of overachievers are in for a little reality check. Still… good direction they are heading.
Minnesota
Oh dear… that ship is sinking fast….
Edmonton
a-ha! Not last this year, but not much higher. Takes a while to get your feet going in the NHL. Too many rookies, but still exciting times in Edmonton.
Dallas
I have a feeling brad Richards is spending his last year in Dallas. (Ottawa might have enough cap space to try and ink him next year?) some good players coming up thru Dallas and Keri could be their guy till Pickard is ready. But it’s still a few years till they’re back, there’s always the draft to look forwards to.

21Predict the Standings!   - Page 2 Empty Re: Predict the Standings! Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:58 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Nice work Flo, it'll be interesting to see how close we all get.

22Predict the Standings!   - Page 2 Empty Re: Predict the Standings! Tue Aug 31, 2010 6:34 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Speaking of Niemi, NHLSourcesSay was tweeting that he'd hear from a reliable source the Sharks have no interest. On the other hand, he'd heard (but not confirmed) that the Habs and Devils *are* interested.

23Predict the Standings!   - Page 2 Empty Re: Predict the Standings! Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:19 am

1. Philadelphia - Should have been #1 last season but got nailed with the injury bug. No significant losses aside from Gagne (who was oft injured anyway) and the emergence of Leino coupled with a return year for Zherdev mixed with some great role players and this team is really tough to beat. Goaltending a bit of an issue but both goalies have a lot to prove.
Breakout player: Ville Leino

2. Washington - Ovechkin, Backstrom, Semin, Green, Poti, Carlson, and tons of forward depth. They will win on offense alone and Carlson will emerge as on of the better PMD in the East. Look for an early playoff exit again and questions arising about how good Ovechkin really is (see Joe Thornton).
Breakout player: John Carlson

3. Boston - Good offensively and in the goaltending department. If Rask goes down Thomas is just as capable to lead this team from the net out. Offensive depth is deep but questionable. Savard and Bergeron are both injury question marks, and who knows how Seguin will do. He could be like Karlsson and need some conditioning in the AHL at some point. Defense is questionable also but with Chara in a contract year, look for him to go beast-mode and be an even bigger force than what we're used to seeing.
Breakout player: Nathan Horton

4. Ottawa - I know this is a weird spot to place Ottawa, and call me biased, but we've got two key guys in contract years that will be looking for raises and contracts for next season. Leclaire has to be a monster this year or he can see his name go the way-side with the likes of Boucher, Lalime and other one-hit wonders. He's got a lot to prove to the Sens org., himself, and the rest of the league if he wants to solidify himself as an elite goalie. Same can be said about Kovalev. He's not going to retire a Senator and if he wants to crack a roster for next season he's got to show everyone that there's still juice in the tank and a heart in the chest. Spezza's got a lot to prove to the fans in this city, and Regin will get top three minutes and every chance to succeed. Alfie's only got another couple of years in him and he's going to push hard this year. The power-play will be threatening with Gonchar and Karlsson on the point, and guys like Foligno and Kelly will take their game to the next level. Could be a prospect or two (Smith, Cowen, Butler, Wick) who surprises in camp and cracks the lineup much like Regin and Carkner did.
Breakout player: Peter Regin

5. New Jersey - Offensive depth is crazy with the likes of Kovalchuk, Zajac, Parise, Elias (if he's not traded), Langenbrunner, Arnott, Rolston, and Zubrus. The addition of Volchenkov gives NJ their first big hitter since Scott Stevens and their defensive core is very underrated. Brodeur's abilities are regressing but he does still have what it takes to make big saves at key times. They've added old faces to a young group and have put a very good team of leaders, vets, and skill together.
Breakout player: Zach Parise

6.Pittsburgh - The loss of Gonchar will hurt the Pens' powerplay. The addition of Michalek helps their back-end defensively, and while Martin is very under-rated, he flourished in a defense-oriented system and his puck-moving abilities are nowhere close to as good as Gonchar's. Add the fact that Pittsburgh did not find linemates for Crosby and the additional pressure on Staal to play the wing on the second line and Pittsburgh's depth suddenly comes into question. They've got good role players in Kennedy and Dupuis, and a very good, experienced defense, but a key injury to one of the big three or a poor year from Fleury will spell a disappointing season in Pittsburgh.
Breakout player: Max Talbot

7. Montreal - The Habs are just going to squeeze in to seventh spot this year. The loss of Halak will result in the Habs not stealing a lot of games this year against a higher-scoring Northeast Division. It's evident that Price and the Habs organization are far apart contractually which only tarnishes the reputation of this team. Like Karlsson, Subban will be forced into a situation that he may not be ready for. A full year of Markov will help the powerplay but Montreal's depth and uncertainty in net could be their downfall. Their forwards are streaky and Plekanec was in a contract year. Look for his production to drop. Realistically it was the will of Halak and Cammalleri that got the Habs as deep as they went. Montreal needs another player to rise and lead this team if they want to have success this season and it won't be Carey Price.
Breakout player: ???

8. Atlanta - A very young, underrated team that will turn some heads this year. A bubble team for the last couple of years, Atlanta has made some smart moves with the addition of some ex-Blackhawks in Buff and Ladd. Peverley, Kane, Little, and Bergfors are all on the verge of breaking out, the addition of Mason stabilized their goaltending, some prospects (Esposito, Aliu, Cormier) will all push hard in camp, and probably the most underrated D in the East. This is a team team that will make the playoffs and will give Philly a scare in the first round.
Breakout player: Nicklas Bergfors

24Predict the Standings!   - Page 2 Empty Re: Predict the Standings! Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:26 am

SensHulk

SensHulk
All-Star
All-Star

hmm well I won't go too much in depth for most teams, but this is how I see it playing out in the EAST:

1. Washington - Extreme Firepower, weak division. They'll win it easily
2. Pittsburgh - I think they start off slow, but edge out Jersey as Michalek and Martin find their niche
3. Boston - Chara's final year, Rask is a year older, Horton/Savard with something to prove, and the entire team wants to redeem after the playoffs
4. Ottawa - Finally PMD depth! and some hope in goal from Leclaire, Sens will edge out teams 5-7 for this spot. It'll be close, but Leclaire and Spezza will break out.
5. New Jersey - consider this a slight drop. Volchenkov will bring back alot of the physicality that went out since Scott Stevens left, but Brodeur, Parise, and Kovalchuk will do enough to solidify a strong playoff berth.
6. Philadelphia - pronger had a monster season, but I expect him to drop a bit. I'm not a believer in Leighton. Still a good position
7. Tampa Bay - Surprise pick. Lots of new personnel coming in, but Steve Yzerman will pay dividends for Stamkos and St. Louis. oh and they also have some guy called Lecavalier, I think he'll come around as well. hedman will improve
8. Montreal - This was a tough one where I don't feel the habs will truly make it, but they somehow always find a way. Markov will be back so him and Cammalleri will have to carry this team. Price better find his game.
--------------------------------------
9. Atlanta - I think after Tampa, easily one of the more improved teams. But too much personnel change, plus learning periods for their young'ns, and they miss the playoffs by a hair knowing their luck
10. Buffalo - Unless something major happens in the trade department, they're not riding Ryan Miller to a high seed again. They'll be in contention for that last playoff spot, but they lost Tallinder, Lydman putting more pressure on Myers.
11. Carolina - This is the last of the contending teams. They made a huge stride in the last 1/3 of the season, got tons in return for Corvo, and then got him back. Cam Ward is Cam Ward and Staal will be a stud this year. However, I think injuries come back to bite them, otherwise they're in the playoffs
12. NYR - NEXT! (seriously, apart from Gaborik and Lundqvist, I have nothing else interesting to talk about. Same ol' torterella ripping his players and fighting with columnists, and what about marc staal? Gilroy and Del Zotto should improve I guess)
13. NYI - Lots of promising young guys coming in, but they're all still very young and will endure tough times in a tough division. They'll set themselves up nicely for the season after though
14. Toronto - Cuss THEM....they'll struggle to score. Actually, I think Bozak and Kadri will need more of a learning curve to really help themselves out, but they got too many gritty 3rd liners. so expect another lack lustre penalty kill. Gustavsson and Giguere will be an interesting tandem as the phaneuf show gets under way
15. Florida - Lots of promise, but even in FLorida's eyes, this is the best way to go now

WEST

1. Vancouver - Finally everyone is talking about Vancouver. Ballard and Hamhuis will compliment an already strong D-corps. Tons of high skilled forwards, strong 'regular season' goaltending, this team has got it all!
2. San Jose - They'll start a bit sluggish, but there's way too much talent on the forward and back end for this team to not easily win their division. Nittymaki is a decent goalie, but he's no Nabokov. Still with a team this deep, you don't need a nabokov for home-ice
3. Detroit - I think they'll 'surprise' some critics and take back their central division crown. It'll be a tough battle though, but Jimmy Howard is up for this. Datsyuk, Rafalski, Lidstrom, Zetterberg, and a healthy Franzen.
4. Chicago - Not an absolute gutting of the team, but so many players are gone and with a sticky cap situation still, they won't be making too many tweaks. Still get home-ice as Turco regains his form. Awesome D and F
5. LA - oodles of talent! Doughty and Kopitar are truly the faces of this organization, and with more talent coming in on all fronts, things are looking up!
6. Phoenix - Great story last season, they lost Michalek but they still got loads of talent on the team. Bryzgalov will continue to shine
7. Nashville - Barry Trotz will find a way....
8. St. Louis - Halak was a key acquisition and I feel he'll carry this team on his back alot of the times, just like in MTL. But he CAN DO IT! Erik Johnson and Pietrangelo should have solid seasons along with Oshie and Backes. They're in barely
------------------------------------------------------------
9. Colorado - Flash in the pants last season. They'll compete this year but too many teams will have taken note of them. Craig Anderson will be good, but not great, and unfortunately that was the only reason they made it last season.
10. Calgary - OUCH! A season ago they were slated for a top 3 finish and failed miserably. I see the sens woes from 2 seasons ago alot in this group coming up. Would be something though if JayBo and Jokinen (still LMAO about this!) can find their games. They'll remain in the thick of the race though
11. Anaheim - Hiller will be relied upon heavily, but he's up to the task. I expect Bobby Ryan to have a great season, but with Neidermeyer gone and no apparent leadership coming in, this will be a rebuild of a season again.
12. Minnesota - Good group, but injuries will pile up. Carolina of the west, if you will. Koivu and Backstrom will be good, but Burns and Havlat need to step up Cuss up
13. Columbus - dude, what the hell happened here? Things were actually looking promising for a bit, then they got swept by detroit and haven't recovered for a whole season. Still no #1 center. Like Toronto
14. Dallas - tough season coming up. No turco, no modano, this should be a transition season to a much younger squad. No doubt Richards will be dealt for a hefty return at the deadline
15. Edmonton - Taylor Hall era begins, but let's not expect miracles. Khabibulin debacle means no strong tending, and their D-corps is 'meh' at best. They'll want to maximize a return for Penner though. Again, I think edmonton will be happy with this firesale

25Predict the Standings!   - Page 2 Empty Re: Predict the Standings! Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:52 am

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I'm really enjoying reading people's lists. It's interesting to get these different POVs.

26Predict the Standings!   - Page 2 Empty Re: Predict the Standings! Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:23 pm

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

I added comments to mine.

27Predict the Standings!   - Page 2 Empty Re: Predict the Standings! Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:44 pm

Michallica wrote:

15. Edmonton - Taylor Hall era begins, but let's not expect miracles. Khabibulin debacle means no strong tending, and their D-corps is 'meh' at best. They'll want to maximize a return for Penner though. Again, I think edmonton will be happy with this firesale

You're right. Oilers fans' expectations are way too high right now. They might not finish dead last but they'll probably be in the bottom five if not the bottom three in the league again. Unfortunately it's a weak draft year coming up so they'll likely have to make some trades to improve their roster. Personally, I think they should sign Bobby Ryan to an offer sheet -or- trade for him. He'd be perfect in Edmonton's system with all the young guys coming up.

Hemsky-Horcoff-Ryan
Hall-Gagner-Penner
Brule-Cogliano-Eberle
Fraser-Potulny-Stortini

28Predict the Standings!   - Page 2 Empty Re: Predict the Standings! Tue Aug 31, 2010 2:10 pm

SensHulk

SensHulk
All-Star
All-Star

Kovalfie wrote:
Michallica wrote:

You're right. Oilers fans' expectations are way too high right now. They might not finish dead last but they'll probably be in the bottom five if not the bottom three in the league again. Unfortunately it's a weak draft year coming up so they'll likely have to make some trades to improve their roster. Personally, I think they should sign Bobby Ryan to an offer sheet -or- trade for him. He'd be perfect in Edmonton's system with all the young guys coming up.

Hemsky-Horcoff-Ryan
Hall-Gagner-Penner
Brule-Cogliano-Eberle
Fraser-Potulny-Stortini

Dallas will give them a run for their money for last place, but the history edmonton has especially with insurmountable injuries, I expect them to finish last in the west (dead last goes to Florida). Even talent wise, Dallas has better pieces up front and on the back end, and defi in goal. I think Edmonton fans should be optimistic since they'll most likely get to see Eberle, Hall, and MPS all in action. Losing streaks here and there will be A-okay as long as they get to see these three improve.

I also feel that within the next couple of years, Gretzky will be back in the Oilers organization. That's when the team will contend. It has marketing genius written all over it when they hopefully get a new arena too! Till then, keep on losing and getting those high picks Facepalm

29Predict the Standings!   - Page 2 Empty Re: Predict the Standings! Tue Aug 31, 2010 2:50 pm

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

I don't know guys, I'm liking Edmonton as a surprise team, kinda like Colorado last season. Adding Hall, Eberle, and Hemsky would make any team A LOT better.

30Predict the Standings!   - Page 2 Empty Re: Predict the Standings! Tue Aug 31, 2010 2:57 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Big Ev wrote:I don't know guys, I'm liking Edmonton as a surprise team, kinda like Colorado last season. Adding Hall, Eberle, and Hemsky would make any team A LOT better.

You need defence and a goalie too though.

31Predict the Standings!   - Page 2 Empty Re: Predict the Standings! Tue Aug 31, 2010 3:03 pm

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

SpezDispenser wrote:
Big Ev wrote:I don't know guys, I'm liking Edmonton as a surprise team, kinda like Colorado last season. Adding Hall, Eberle, and Hemsky would make any team A LOT better.

You need defence and a goalie too though.

Whitney, Gilbert, Souray, Foster, and Smid. That's a pretty decent D.

With the offence they might have I don't think JDD will be problem...or Gerber, or Dubnyk. Somebody's gonna surprise and I think it's Edmonton.

32Predict the Standings!   - Page 2 Empty Re: Predict the Standings! Tue Aug 31, 2010 3:06 pm

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

Souray won't be there though, not after he made it clear he doesn't want to be there, and the team feels the same way.

Still think Edmonton will be a good team, definitely exciting to watch, but keep the expectations low.

33Predict the Standings!   - Page 2 Empty Re: Predict the Standings! Tue Aug 31, 2010 3:07 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Big Ev wrote:
Whitney, Gilbert, Souray, Foster, and Smid. That's a pretty decent D.

With the offence they might have I don't think JDD will be problem...or Gerber, or Dubnyk. Somebody's gonna surprise and I think it's Edmonton.

Whitney sucks like a vacuum though and Souray won't play for Edmonton IMO. Gilbert's been declining as well...

I dunno man, I know what you're saying, there's some electric youth on offense who don't know they should suck, but it's gonna be a challenge.

I think they pull an Islanders and are surprisingly in it until around January, then they'll just drop like a stone. I'll remember to give you props if they finish any higher than 13th though.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 7]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum