GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

POLL-What does Regin make this year?

+5
rooneypoo
PTFlea
wprager
shabbs
9 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

What does Regin make this year?

POLL-What does Regin make this year? - Page 3 Vote_lcap20%POLL-What does Regin make this year? - Page 3 Vote_rcap2 0% [ 0 ]
POLL-What does Regin make this year? - Page 3 Vote_lcap20%POLL-What does Regin make this year? - Page 3 Vote_rcap2 0% [ 0 ]
POLL-What does Regin make this year? - Page 3 Vote_lcap254%POLL-What does Regin make this year? - Page 3 Vote_rcap2 54% [ 7 ]
POLL-What does Regin make this year? - Page 3 Vote_lcap28%POLL-What does Regin make this year? - Page 3 Vote_rcap2 8% [ 1 ]
POLL-What does Regin make this year? - Page 3 Vote_lcap215%POLL-What does Regin make this year? - Page 3 Vote_rcap2 15% [ 2 ]
POLL-What does Regin make this year? - Page 3 Vote_lcap223%POLL-What does Regin make this year? - Page 3 Vote_rcap2 23% [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 13

Poll closed

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 4]

31POLL-What does Regin make this year? - Page 3 Empty Re: POLL-What does Regin make this year? Sat Jul 17, 2010 2:44 pm

What does Regin make this year?

Hopefully, as little as possible on a 3 year (or so) deal.

32POLL-What does Regin make this year? - Page 3 Empty Re: POLL-What does Regin make this year? Sat Jul 17, 2010 2:55 pm

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

shabbs wrote:Well, if Foligno gets $1.6M, and Regin gets $1.2 and Campoli gets $1.0M... we're left with just over $1M in cap space without any other roster moves. Not sure if Murray would put himself in that position... we'll see...

If all those are signed then we have to move, what, 2-3 players? Sign-and-trade or move players like Lee/Shannon to make more cap room.

33POLL-What does Regin make this year? - Page 3 Empty Re: POLL-What does Regin make this year? Sat Jul 17, 2010 3:48 pm

shabbs

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

wprager wrote:
shabbs wrote:Well, if Foligno gets $1.6M, and Regin gets $1.2 and Campoli gets $1.0M... we're left with just over $1M in cap space without any other roster moves. Not sure if Murray would put himself in that position... we'll see...

If all those are signed then we have to move, what, 2-3 players? Sign-and-trade or move players like Lee/Shannon to make more cap room.
Those numbers were based on carrying 13 forwards, 7 d-men and two goalies and included Lee, Shannon. We could move them and bring up some kids (Cowen and Butler/Wick/Locke for example) to get the extra cap room.

34POLL-What does Regin make this year? - Page 3 Empty Re: POLL-What does Regin make this year? Sat Jul 17, 2010 3:49 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Is that including Shannon and Lee? If so, that would mean that he's carrying 22 or even 23 players (I assume Z.Smith doesn't make the team), so there's some built in injury relief, right?

35POLL-What does Regin make this year? - Page 3 Empty Re: POLL-What does Regin make this year? Sat Jul 17, 2010 3:54 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

This was what produced my numbers (capgeek have changed their cap calculator... very nice):

POLL-What does Regin make this year? - Page 3 Sens

36POLL-What does Regin make this year? - Page 3 Empty Re: POLL-What does Regin make this year? Sat Jul 17, 2010 3:59 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

shabbs wrote:
wprager wrote:

Those numbers were based on carrying 13 forwards, 7 d-men and two goalies and included Lee, Shannon. We could move them and bring up some kids (Cowen and Butler/Wick/Locke for example) to get the extra cap room.

With the sudden depth we have on D and even at forward (albeit not top-six depth) we can probably go with a 20 man roster (except for the Western swing). Just bring someone up in case of injuries.

37POLL-What does Regin make this year? - Page 3 Empty Re: POLL-What does Regin make this year? Sat Jul 17, 2010 4:16 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Too many players. Get rid of Shannon, keep Lee as the depth and call up someone if injuries strike at forward.

We're done for the summer I'd wager.

38POLL-What does Regin make this year? - Page 3 Empty Re: POLL-What does Regin make this year? Sat Jul 17, 2010 5:32 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

SpezDispenser wrote:Too many players. Get rid of Shannon, keep Lee as the depth and call up someone if injuries strike at forward.

We had that luxury before with a Schubert who could flip back and forth... how big of a roster did Murray run with last season? Donovan was in the press box the majority of the time... who else was there?

39POLL-What does Regin make this year? - Page 3 Empty Re: POLL-What does Regin make this year? Sat Jul 17, 2010 5:37 pm

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

shabbs wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:Too many players. Get rid of Shannon, keep Lee as the depth and call up someone if injuries strike at forward.

We had that luxury before with a Schubert who could flip back and forth... how big of a roster did Murray run with last season? Donovan was in the press box the majority of the time... who else was there?

We went with a 22-man roster for most of the season last year, I believe.

40POLL-What does Regin make this year? - Page 3 Empty Re: POLL-What does Regin make this year? Sat Jul 17, 2010 5:41 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

rooneypoo wrote:
shabbs wrote:

I thought so... and it makes sense. So, cap space calculations should be based around a 22-man roster.

41POLL-What does Regin make this year? - Page 3 Empty Re: POLL-What does Regin make this year? Sat Jul 17, 2010 5:44 pm

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

shabbs wrote:
rooneypoo wrote:
shabbs wrote:

I thought so... and it makes sense. So, cap space calculations should be based around a 22-man roster.

Yeah, I'd say. Either that, or 20, with 2 clear-cut first call ups who play 30+ games because of injuries.

42POLL-What does Regin make this year? - Page 3 Empty Re: POLL-What does Regin make this year? Sat Jul 17, 2010 5:50 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Yeah, the Kovalev/Michalek injuries could be an issue at the start of the season.

And I'm sure we'll see some 9-game appearances by guys on ELC's...

43POLL-What does Regin make this year? - Page 3 Empty Re: POLL-What does Regin make this year? Sat Jul 17, 2010 5:56 pm

TheAvatar

TheAvatar
Veteran
Veteran

Nan, we're still looking for that elusive Top 6 player Smile

44POLL-What does Regin make this year? - Page 3 Empty Re: POLL-What does Regin make this year? Sat Jul 17, 2010 6:39 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

TheAvatar wrote:

Nan, we're still looking for that elusive Top 6 player Smile

Murray said he's done. I believe him (until I hear Kuba trade rumors).

45POLL-What does Regin make this year? - Page 3 Empty Re: POLL-What does Regin make this year? Sat Jul 17, 2010 7:05 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

rooneypoo wrote:
Yeah, I'd say. Either that, or 20, with 2 clear-cut first call ups who play 30+ games because of injuries.

I'd do a 21 to have a spare. We're good cap wise anyway and that can be considered part of the injury $$. Shannon's a decent 13th forward, Lee's a nice 7th D-man, but shed their salaries and call up Butler, Wick, Z.Smith, Gryba, Wiercioch, D.Smith instead and you have a very competitive situation for any injury roster spots.

46POLL-What does Regin make this year? - Page 3 Empty Re: POLL-What does Regin make this year? Sat Jul 17, 2010 10:44 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

SpezDispenser wrote:
rooneypoo wrote:

I'd do a 21 to have a spare. We're good cap wise anyway and that can be considered part of the injury $$. Shannon's a decent 13th forward, Lee's a nice 7th D-man, but shed their salaries and call up Butler, Wick, Z.Smith, Gryba, Wiercioch, D.Smith instead and you have a very competitive situation for any injury roster spots.

Well, season before last I kept saying how they should carry 22 and have two places in the doghouse, if needed. That's what the Habs had done. Last year they carried 22 for most of the season, but that's because they had a lot of injuries -- I think Kuba stayed on the roster the whole time because it was supposed to be d2d for a couple of months. So did it work out for us last year? Maybe. All those injuries we had makes it hard to judge. Maybe we would have finished top in the NE. So, yeah, I'd be willing to try carrying 22 again.

47POLL-What does Regin make this year? - Page 3 Empty Re: POLL-What does Regin make this year? Sun Jul 18, 2010 10:29 am

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

wprager wrote:
rooneypoo wrote:
wprager wrote:Breaking down his last 30 games of the regular season in 10-game chunks, he had 3 points (a 3-point game followed by 9 o-fers), 2 points and 8 points.

Sure looks like a huge jump. It just happened to start on March 22, the game after Michalek was injured. So he got it by playing with Spezza and Alfredsson. I have no doubt he could produce on the top line, again, at least for a stretch, but I doubt that he'll get that chance.

It's not like he went from 0.5 ppg to .8 ppg; he went from 0 for 9 games! That's concerning to me.

Who, after Foligno and mystery guys like Wick and Butler, is going to push Regin out of the top 6? Kelly, Neil, Ruutu, Winchester, Smith, or Shannon? How is Regin not the favourite in there, given that he took the ball from Foligno and ran with it -- I remember the moment it happened precisely, in fact: Foligno started off two games with minors, and in fact go two minors in the first 10 minutes, and CC gave the spot to Regin, and neither ever looked back the rest of the season.

As I'm sure you've been told many a time, looking to point production for these things is not always the best indicator. TOI and what situations he played are far more telling. I'm too lazy to do the math on this, but just look at how his TOI increased incrementally over the year:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/players/gamelog?playerId=3967

Of course injuries played a part, but the fundamental point is, who, barring a trade or a signing, is going to knock him out of that top 6 spot?

No one is going to push him out of the top six, but I see him and Foligno splitting the duties. If Foligno has a rebound year (recall, he was playing some of his best hockey when he broke his leg) then he will get to bulk of that split, plus dibbs on top line injury sub-ins. Can just as easily be Regin, of course.

My point really was that his production went up with Spezza/Alfredsson. He has to break into the top-three -- he's not getting 60 points without top-line minutes. Just ask Fisher.

A timely contribution to this exact debate from Angus over at Dobber:

http://www.dobberhockey.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=2979:a-skill-filled-danish&catid=14:jeff-angus&Itemid=102

Lots of praise for Regin!

48POLL-What does Regin make this year? - Page 3 Empty Re: POLL-What does Regin make this year? Sun Jul 18, 2010 12:38 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

If the Michalek and Kovalev injuries carry-on into the start of the NHL season, Foligno and Regin will get lots of opportunity to shine.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 4]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum