GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Malkin possibly on the move?

+7
SDH89
SeawaySensFan
PTFlea
asq2
Ev
Cap'n Clutch
SensFan71
11 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 9]

31Malkin possibly on the move? - Page 3 Empty Re: Malkin possibly on the move? Thu May 20, 2010 1:57 pm

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

It's an intriguing debate, I can see both sides. I wouldn't do it personally, but I can see where it would have to be done.

32Malkin possibly on the move? - Page 3 Empty Re: Malkin possibly on the move? Thu May 20, 2010 2:02 pm

SeawaySensFan

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

SpezDispenser wrote:It's an intriguing debate, I can see both sides. I wouldn't do it personally, but I can see where it would have to be done.

I think it's coming to crunch time if this ever gets done. Maybe you hang on to him this season and see what happens. But in 11-12, you have the end of both Crosby and Staal's contracts looming the following season.

If you chose to hang on to Malkin, you probably dealt (more) draft picks to surround Crosby with aging, band-aid solutions. I would make the pre-emptive move now. Malkin possibly on the move? - Page 3 235689 Malkin possibly on the move? - Page 3 805406

33Malkin possibly on the move? - Page 3 Empty Re: Malkin possibly on the move? Thu May 20, 2010 2:15 pm

Ev

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

I'm all for them trading Staal. I'd rather have the 1-2 punch with Malkin and Crosby. Clearly it's worked, they've already won the Cup.

34Malkin possibly on the move? - Page 3 Empty Re: Malkin possibly on the move? Thu May 20, 2010 2:17 pm

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

N4L wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:In fact, look no further than Chicago, they can provide some cheapish wingers.

Kane, Versteeg, and Buff all make 3 mil plus...

Point Im making is Malkin isnt the number 1 center there and despite winning The Conn Smyth he shows up when he wants, has been invisable on a lot of nights and basically cant be counted on when his team mates need him. He's there sometimes but you question a lot about the guy.

Pitts needs good wingers, not cheap ones.

I would rather have Staal as my 2nd line centers at 4 mil then Malking there at close to 9. There is no shot there is a 5 million dollar gap between them.

This was only true for this season. Last season he was a force every night. He's 1 bad year, I think he should be given a little slack lol. I'd take Malkin on an off year over Staal any day.

35Malkin possibly on the move? - Page 3 Empty Re: Malkin possibly on the move? Thu May 20, 2010 3:00 pm

I think you will see a very similar path to what Spezza has taken in terms of Malkin. Domiante when young until the everyday grind takes it's toll and you get 1/2 efforts and a discouraged player.

I would take Malkin over Staal too, but would I take Malkin over Staal at an extra 5 million, no I wouldnt. I dont even flinch or think about it if that's the case.

Staal would be a very, very good 2nd line center in Pitts and saving that extra 5 mil is huge. The Pens need real solutions on the wings. Just like FFS said, so far they are just bandaid solutions.

They won a cup with Malkin and Crosby down the middle, but there is no shot they would have won one without Staal. I would try to add a lot more character to The Pens if I was Shero because it is lacking where it counts right now and that's with Malkin. The Sens are in a similar situation with Spezza, we just dont have a Crosby ahead of him.

36Malkin possibly on the move? - Page 3 Empty Re: Malkin possibly on the move? Thu May 20, 2010 3:22 pm

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

When Malkin was hurt this season, Staal did nothing to show he could step up and his play declined (as per Penguins fans), whereas Malkin elevated his game a ton when Crosby got hurt two years ago. At this point I don't care about the money, when you're talking about arguably the 3rd best player in hockey I think you can only deal him over Staal if your're blown away by an offer. I'd rather keep all 3 though and get 1 great winger to play with one of them. Just my 2 cents.

37Malkin possibly on the move? - Page 3 Empty Re: Malkin possibly on the move? Thu May 20, 2010 3:37 pm

Big Ev wrote:When Malkin was hurt this season, Staal did nothing to show he could step up and his play declined (as per Penguins fans), whereas Malkin elevated his game a ton when Crosby got hurt two years ago. At this point I don't care about the money, when you're talking about arguably the 3rd best player in hockey I think you can only deal him over Staal if your're blown away by an offer. I'd rather keep all 3 though and get 1 great winger to play with one of them. Just my 2 cents.

Malkin is not the 3rd best player in hockey, he might be the 3rd best Russian, but 3rd best player, no shot. You're not even including defensemen but that's fine, I see what you're saying.

When you're talking about the cap money is an issue, ignore it if you want but fact of the matter is with Crosby and Malkin taking up over 17 million on the cap it is almost impossible to fill team needs. Hell, they are going to lose Gonchar, who's stepping in for him? Gonna have to spend some money. Flurry is making a good chunk too.

Staal at 5 million + less then Malkin, way better on top of the fact Staal seems to have a lot of character and will eventually be a leader on that team. Like I said, Malkin is a lot like Spezza in the sense he might have very well peaked very early in his career in terms of production. If Malkin every left Pitts he would have some serious trouble without GOnchar and Crosby.

38Malkin possibly on the move? - Page 3 Empty Re: Malkin possibly on the move? Thu May 20, 2010 3:40 pm

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

If Malkin is the third best Russian, I would like to know who is #2.

and the Gonch is not coming back, Go-Go Goligoski is taking his place.

39Malkin possibly on the move? - Page 3 Empty Re: Malkin possibly on the move? Thu May 20, 2010 3:43 pm

Datsyuk, 100%. You find very few people who dont take him over Malkin every single time.

40Malkin possibly on the move? - Page 3 Empty Re: Malkin possibly on the move? Thu May 20, 2010 4:40 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Datsyuk is amazing. I'd do unthinkable things to get him.

41Malkin possibly on the move? - Page 3 Empty Re: Malkin possibly on the move? Thu May 20, 2010 5:24 pm

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Well yeah, but if you are talking about your team's future than Malkin > Datsyuk. He's 8 years younger than him and he has already done things that Datysuk could never do so early in his career (offensively).

42Malkin possibly on the move? - Page 3 Empty Re: Malkin possibly on the move? Thu May 20, 2010 5:26 pm

I wont argue that but there is no way you can claim Malkin in a top 3 player. There are probably almost 10 player I would rather have on my team then Malkin, probably more.

43Malkin possibly on the move? - Page 3 Empty Re: Malkin possibly on the move? Thu May 20, 2010 5:28 pm

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

We all have our different opinions. Malkin is easily Top 5 for me. Top 3 fantasy hockey wise at least. Malkin possibly on the move? - Page 3 54934

44Malkin possibly on the move? - Page 3 Empty Re: Malkin possibly on the move? Thu May 20, 2010 5:31 pm

ID take Weber, Keith, Doughty, M.Richards, Crosby, Datsyuk, Ovechkin, Getzlaf, and Chara just off the top of my head.

45Malkin possibly on the move? - Page 3 Empty Re: Malkin possibly on the move? Thu May 20, 2010 5:31 pm

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

SpezDispenser wrote:Datsyuk is amazing. I'd do unthinkable things to get him.
Thinking like..?

46Malkin possibly on the move? - Page 3 Empty Re: Malkin possibly on the move? Thu May 20, 2010 5:34 pm

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

N4L wrote:ID take Weber, Keith, Doughty, M.Richards, Crosby, Datsyuk, Ovechkin, Getzlaf, and Chara just off the top of my head.
none that we could have Crying .

if they can pull a deal where they walk away with the number 1 or 2 pick with tallent like MPS and then some. well you have to go for it and hope it works.(i'd hate to be the guy who pulls the trigger and it blows up on you.

interesting thought comparing Malkin and Spezza. i could see it.

47Malkin possibly on the move? - Page 3 Empty Re: Malkin possibly on the move? Thu May 20, 2010 5:37 pm

I think Malkin will very much be a clone of Spezza, he's just lucky he was ridding shotgun to Crosby. If Spezza had that, he would have a cup, no doubt in my mind but neither of those guys are players that can carry a team.

I really dont have all that high of an opinion on Malkin but he has accomplished a lot in a short time. If he gets dealt you will see his production fall off for sure.

48Malkin possibly on the move? - Page 3 Empty Re: Malkin possibly on the move? Thu May 20, 2010 5:39 pm

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

This thread has gone way too far now. Ugh.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 9]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum