GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Malkin possibly on the move?

+7
SDH89
SeawaySensFan
PTFlea
asq2
Ev
Cap'n Clutch
SensFan71
11 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down  Message [Page 8 of 9]

106Malkin possibly on the move? - Page 8 Empty Re: Malkin possibly on the move? Thu May 20, 2010 10:39 pm

stempniaksen wrote:
hemlock wrote:
stempniaksen wrote:If I honestly have to point out the differences between Chara and Alfie and why Alfie is certainly a better leader than I'm not sure you know the game of hockey as well as I thought you did.

And about N4L's reasons for hating Spezza. I've probably debated him more than anyone in that regard over the last couple months so I'm sure I've had time to catch up. (I'm pointing out that when asked about why he doesn't think he's the guy to lead us he points at past history and Spezza's lack of winning any championships, ect).

Regardless though, everyone is entitled to their opinions and if the wanna take Chara over Alfie/Malkin that is there right.

Way to answer the question deflect! A pot shot at my hockey knowledge too no less. You made a blanket statement, and didn't qualify it, then come back with some Dung that you shouldn't have to defend your comments? Laughable.

Other than the fact that Alfredsson has taken his team to the SCF and Chara hasn't what differences are there that are so vast that I apparently am lacking hockey knowledge to not be seeing. Please, enlighten me.

No pot shot intended, sorry if you took it that way.

Obviously people view Chara much differently than I do, but being the 'outsider' when it comes to opinions on hockey players is nothing new to me.

Let's just chalk this one down to a difference of opinion then.

Fair enough, we'll agree to disagree. I don't know what you're seeing in Chara (or not seeing), that causes you to hold that opinion. He's the heart and soul of that team. He fights, hits, blocks shots, stands up for teammates (how many times did we see that with the Sens?), and does whatever is asked of him (stand in front of the net on the PP). I've never heard him complain, or talk badly of a coach or teammate. Guys play bigger when he's on the team, that's a fact, proven by his days with the Senators. Not many guys have that type of effect.

107Malkin possibly on the move? - Page 8 Empty Re: Malkin possibly on the move? Thu May 20, 2010 10:45 pm

Cap'n Clutch

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

N4L wrote:
stempniaksen wrote:
hemlock wrote:
stempniaksen wrote:
Big Ev wrote:But Malkin isn't a soft player, he takes hits and dishes them out from time to time. He's also a player who elevates his game when he takes a big hit from an opposing player. He'll go into the dirty areas.

Chara's a great defencman and all, but he is not a winner.

Ding, Ding, Ding. We have a winner (and as usual it's not Chara).

N4L, I'd like to see you defend Chara for the exact same reasons you vilify Spezza.

Listen, chara is a spectacular defenceman. But when taking into account their ages along with how many times they've won on the biggest stage, and the way they performed once they reach that stage I take Malkin every time.

The guy is a top 3 Russian player, and is a top 5 player in the world no questions asked. His regular season dominance and strong playoffs prove that.

I'll give this a shot. N4L's biggest issue with Spezza is the fact that he believed that Spezza cannot or will not ever lead the Sens as a $7 million player. I'm inclined to agree since we haven't seen much of anything sustained over any reasonable amount of time that shows he could be that guy.

Chara on the other hand IS that guy for the Bruins. He's the captain and undisputed leader of that team.

Also, comparing a D-man to a forward just isn't fair. Chara contributes in ways Spezza never, ever could, all while playing in every situation, for more minutes a night. Sure, he'll never out point Spezza, but he brings intangibles that Spezza (not just him, but a lot of players) couldn't even dream about.

I fail to see this Chara isn't a winner argument. He didn't have any success with the Sens (play-off wise), but neither did Alfie then if you want to call a spade, a spade. By this argument, Raymond Bourque was a career loser until he broke through and won the Cup in his last NHL game? Nonsense.

Alfie led his team to the SCF for the first time on modern history. I fail to see any time that Chara has ever led his team anywhere other than a playoff spot.

Most of the Bruins/Senators playoff sucess has come in spite of Chara and not because of it.

And my point was never that Spezza is a better player (I would be foolish to argue that). My point was that N4L's biggest argument against Spezza for his entire career has been the fact that he has never won anything, and that it was hypocritical to not use the very same arguments against Chara.

Yes and no. Chara is a leader, works hard, and shows he wants to win. Spezza isnt a lot of that and really hasnt won anything being on a ton of teams that have been the favaorites and expected to win. Be it in The OHL, International, or in The AHL or NHL.

Malkin possibly on the move? - Page 8 62136 I can't help but find that funny after he captained his team to the biggest choke job in the last 35 years.

108Malkin possibly on the move? - Page 8 Empty Re: Malkin possibly on the move? Thu May 20, 2010 10:49 pm

stempniaksen

Veteran
Veteran

That's part of what I'm trying to say too. Oh well, falling on deaf ears.

109Malkin possibly on the move? - Page 8 Empty Re: Malkin possibly on the move? Thu May 20, 2010 10:54 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

stempniaksen wrote:That's part of what I'm trying to say too. Oh well, falling on deaf ears.

I won't lie, what happened last week altered my view on Chara as a leader. I can't help it, he choked and the team that he captain's choked worse than anyone in 30 years. He's an awesome D-man, but I'm not 100% sure he knows how to lead. He knows how to stay in amazing condition and I'm sure he demands the same of his players, but there's more to that when you're captain.

If it's the 7th game and the Flyers have just closed the deficit to 3-2, you look to you 6'9", 260 pound captain to lead the way - and it didn't happen.

I felt the same way against Buffalo the year Hasek went down, little dudes were all over Chara, his game suffered, he was injured because of a dumb fight with Eric Cairns. I dunno, I'd like to see Chara win anything...the World Championships or whatever it's called, anything.

110Malkin possibly on the move? - Page 8 Empty Re: Malkin possibly on the move? Thu May 20, 2010 10:56 pm

stempniaksen

stempniaksen
Veteran
Veteran

SpezDispenser wrote:
stempniaksen wrote:That's part of what I'm trying to say too. Oh well, falling on deaf ears.

I won't lie, what happened last week altered my view on Chara as a leader. I can't help it, he choked and the team that he captain's choked worse than anyone in 30 years. He's an awesome D-man, but I'm not 100% sure he knows how to lead. He knows how to stay in amazing condition and I'm sure he demands the same of his players, but there's more to that when you're captain.

If it's the 7th game and the Flyers have just closed the deficit to 3-2, you look to you 6'9", 260 pound captain to lead the way - and it didn't happen.

I felt the same way against Buffalo the year Hasek went down, little dudes were all over Chara, his game suffered, he was injured because of a dumb fight with Eric Cairns. I dunno, I'd like to see Chara win anything...the World Championships or whatever it's called, anything.

That's what I've been trying to say for sure.

He's not chopped liver. he definitely brings certain assets to the table, but he definitely has major flaws.

111Malkin possibly on the move? - Page 8 Empty Re: Malkin possibly on the move? Thu May 20, 2010 10:56 pm

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

Malkin possibly on the move? - Page 8 Thread10

112Malkin possibly on the move? - Page 8 Empty Re: Malkin possibly on the move? Thu May 20, 2010 11:08 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

stempniaksen wrote:That's what I've been trying to say for sure.

He's not chopped liver. he definitely brings certain assets to the table, but he definitely has major flaws.

I'd still love to have him on this team obviously and I think he, Doughty and Keith are the four best D-men with Lidstrom.

113Malkin possibly on the move? - Page 8 Empty Re: Malkin possibly on the move? Thu May 20, 2010 11:10 pm

stempniaksen

stempniaksen
Veteran
Veteran

SpezDispenser wrote:
stempniaksen wrote:That's what I've been trying to say for sure.

I'd still love to have him on this team obviously and I think he, Doughty and Keith are the four best D-men with Lidstrom.

Not sure I would want him at that salary for more than a couple years. That said he's still an elite talent and one of the best in the game.

114Malkin possibly on the move? - Page 8 Empty Re: Malkin possibly on the move? Fri May 21, 2010 12:08 am

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

marakh wrote:

Malkin possibly on the move? - Page 8 827103

115Malkin possibly on the move? - Page 8 Empty Re: Malkin possibly on the move? Fri May 21, 2010 1:09 am

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

stempniaksen wrote:

Not sure I would want him at that salary for more than a couple years. That said he's still an elite talent and one of the best in the game.

Meh, I'd take him for 5 more years at that salary. Dude's a machine, he just needs strong co-captains.

116Malkin possibly on the move? - Page 8 Empty Re: Malkin possibly on the move? Fri May 21, 2010 1:37 am

SpezDispenser wrote:
stempniaksen wrote:

Meh, I'd take him for 5 more years at that salary. Dude's a machine, he just needs strong co-captains.

Are we really blaming Chara for the Bruins collapse? Where was the goal scoring in games 4, 5, and 6? Surely, Chara can't be blamed for that.

This is a guy that I take on my team without hesitation. He's a fitness fanatic, and won't degrade at the level others might. This upcoming season is his last at $7.5 anyway. He might take a shave to stay in Boston.

117Malkin possibly on the move? - Page 8 Empty Re: Malkin possibly on the move? Fri May 21, 2010 2:11 am

stempniaksen

stempniaksen
Veteran
Veteran

Not gonna pull the whole blame on Chara. But as the captain he is gonna be held more responsible than others.

It's not always fair, but Alfie dealt with it for years in Ottawa.

118Malkin possibly on the move? - Page 8 Empty Re: Malkin possibly on the move? Fri May 21, 2010 2:12 am

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

hemlock wrote:
Are we really blaming Chara for the Bruins collapse? Where was the goal scoring in games 4, 5, and 6? Surely, Chara can't be blamed for that.

This is a guy that I take on my team without hesitation. He's a fitness fanatic, and won't degrade at the level others might. This upcoming season is his last at $7.5 anyway. He might take a shave to stay in Boston.

Uh...not really blaming him, but he's the captain, he goes down with the ship whether that's fair or not. I'd take him on my team any day of the week though, don't get me wrong.

119Malkin possibly on the move? - Page 8 Empty Re: Malkin possibly on the move? Fri May 21, 2010 2:33 am

Big Ev wrote:
marakh wrote:

Malkin possibly on the move? - Page 8 827103

This is the greatest smiley in the history of time and space.

WAWA WEEWAA!

120Malkin possibly on the move? - Page 8 Empty Re: Malkin possibly on the move? Fri May 21, 2010 2:33 pm

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=322250

121Malkin possibly on the move? - Page 8 Empty Re: Malkin possibly on the move? Fri May 21, 2010 2:45 pm

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Kovalfie wrote:http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=322250

That settles that! Or does it? Malkin possibly on the move? - Page 8 484884

122Malkin possibly on the move? - Page 8 Empty Re: Malkin possibly on the move? Fri May 21, 2010 2:45 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

They wouldn't tell anyone if they were gonna trade Malkin, it would literally just happen - and it would rock the NHL - but no one would see it coming - not even the mighty TSN.

123Malkin possibly on the move? - Page 8 Empty Re: Malkin possibly on the move? Fri May 21, 2010 8:42 pm

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

Wayne Gretzky was traded. Anything is possible Sarcasm

Joe Thornton was a huge trade too.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 8 of 9]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum