GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Malkin for Gaborik...Possibility?

+4
PTFlea
TheAvatar
smash88
SensGirl11
8 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Malkin for Gaborik...Possibility? Empty Malkin for Gaborik...Possibility? Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:22 am

SensGirl11

SensGirl11
Mod
Mod

I read this somewhere the other day, that it would be possible that a trade of Malkin for Gaborik could be in the works or was at one time talked about. I think this would be a great thing for the Pens. The only issue here is that Gaborik is made of glass and it could eventually tank the Pens if he were to get injured.

I thought this was a really interesting possibility though.

2Malkin for Gaborik...Possibility? Empty Re: Malkin for Gaborik...Possibility? Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:24 am

smash88

smash88
Veteran
Veteran

Malkin is ten times the player than Gaborik... If I were Pitts I wouldn't go anywhere near this deal...

3Malkin for Gaborik...Possibility? Empty Re: Malkin for Gaborik...Possibility? Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:39 am

SensGirl11

SensGirl11
Mod
Mod

smash88 wrote:Malkin is ten times the player than Gaborik... If I were Pitts I wouldn't go anywhere near this deal...

I can kinda see what you're saying, but I think they're pretty similar in greatness. Malkin may have a little more upside, and he doesn't get hurt nearly as much as Gaborik, but I think this would be a pretty fair trade. Throw in a pick or prospect on Minny's side, and you're set.

4Malkin for Gaborik...Possibility? Empty Re: Malkin for Gaborik...Possibility? Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:41 am

TheAvatar

TheAvatar
Veteran
Veteran

If I was Pittsburg, I'd trade Malking to Ottawa for Spezza :-) Smile

5Malkin for Gaborik...Possibility? Empty Re: Malkin for Gaborik...Possibility? Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:46 am

SensGirl11

SensGirl11
Mod
Mod

and...Crosby absolutely needs someone to play with, who can actually score, Gaborik's had 5 30+ goal seasons in the last 7 seasons, despite being injured half the time. Imagine if he were healthy?! I don't think Satan is the answer personally.

6Malkin for Gaborik...Possibility? Empty Re: Malkin for Gaborik...Possibility? Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:51 am

smash88

smash88
Veteran
Veteran

SensGirl11 wrote:and...Crosby absolutely needs someone to play with, who can actually score, Gaborik's had 5 30+ goal seasons in the last 7 seasons, despite being injured half the time. Imagine if he were healthy?! I don't think Satan is the answer personally.

No definitely not... But I just think it would be a huge mistake for Pittsburgh... They could get way better than just Gaborik and a pick in my opinion... They could trade him to other teams and get a pretty good package... I don't know, I just don't like Gaborik at all... I just think Pitts would lose that deal...

7Malkin for Gaborik...Possibility? Empty Re: Malkin for Gaborik...Possibility? Wed Oct 22, 2008 12:04 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

This is one of the age old impossible to answer questions IMO. Gaborik would score 50 with Crosby, but is Staal good enough to be a 2nd line center?

Malkin for Kopitar and Brown sounded like the best possibility, but now that's obviously never gonna happen.

8Malkin for Gaborik...Possibility? Empty Re: Malkin for Gaborik...Possibility? Wed Oct 22, 2008 1:25 pm

mattshock

mattshock
Veteran
Veteran

smash88 wrote:Malkin is ten times the player than Gaborik... If I were Pitts I wouldn't go anywhere near this deal...

True, but it could be a decent starting point. Minny would have to sweeten the pot, but it's an interesting proposition. I wouldn't be so quick to write it off.

9Malkin for Gaborik...Possibility? Empty Re: Malkin for Gaborik...Possibility? Wed Oct 22, 2008 1:31 pm

smash88

smash88
Veteran
Veteran

mattbond wrote:

True, but it could be a decent starting point. Minny would have to sweeten the pot, but it's an interesting proposition. I wouldn't be so quick to write it off.

Malkin will be a pure superstar when he's out of Pittsburgh... Gaborik will play his usual 50 games a year... To me unless Minnesota would also give a first, it's a loss for Pittsburgh... But then again I don't think they'll be able to get full value for him anyway... Gaborik might be the best they can get, and IMO it's too bad, because Gino will be amazing....

10Malkin for Gaborik...Possibility? Empty Re: Malkin for Gaborik...Possibility? Wed Oct 22, 2008 2:40 pm

mattshock

mattshock
Veteran
Veteran

Maybe I'm overvaluing Malkin, but I think it would take Gaborik, a 1st, and either an NHL player or a decent prospect.

11Malkin for Gaborik...Possibility? Empty Re: Malkin for Gaborik...Possibility? Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:27 pm

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

No he isn't. Gaborik is pretty damn good, the only problem is he's stuck in a restrictive system, he's injury prone and his contract situation is far worse.

That's why I've been proposing:

To Minny:
Evgeni Malkin

To Pittsburgh:
Marian Gaborik
Mikko Koivu

12Malkin for Gaborik...Possibility? Empty Re: Malkin for Gaborik...Possibility? Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:54 pm

PKC

PKC
All-Star
All-Star

Gaborik couldn't even hold Malkin's jockstrap. Give me a break.

13Malkin for Gaborik...Possibility? Empty Re: Malkin for Gaborik...Possibility? Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:22 pm

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

PKC wrote:Gaborik couldn't even hold Malkin's jockstrap. Give me a break.

Exactly, because he plays in the Northwest under Lemaire in a small-market.

Gaborik is a tremendous all-around player, it's just people don't really have the chance to notice it. He would easily be a 40-45, 90-100 point winger in an offensive system in the East.

Plus Mikko Koivu is no slouch.

14Malkin for Gaborik...Possibility? Empty Re: Malkin for Gaborik...Possibility? Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:28 pm

PKC

PKC
All-Star
All-Star

asq2 wrote:

Gaborik is a tremendous all-around player, it's just people don't really have the chance to notice it. He would easily be a 40-45, 90-100 point winger in an offensive system in the East.

If he also wasn't injured 40 games a year. Malkin is guaranteed 100+ points. Gaborik is possibly, if he stays healthy which he never does, a 90+ point player.

I don't even want to begin to think what kind of numbers Malkin would put up if he was first line center with quality wingers (Nash, Heatley, Iginla, Zetterberg, etc...)

15Malkin for Gaborik...Possibility? Empty Re: Malkin for Gaborik...Possibility? Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:54 pm

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

PKC wrote:
asq2 wrote:

If he also wasn't injured 40 games a year. Malkin is guaranteed 100+ points. Gaborik is possibly, if he stays healthy which he never does, a 90+ point player.

I don't even want to begin to think what kind of numbers Malkin would put up if he was first line center with quality wingers (Nash, Heatley, Iginla, Zetterberg, etc...)

Gaborik's linemates aren't that much better. What kind of numbers do you think Malkin would put up in the Northwest under Lemaire?

Anyway, Mikko Koivu is pretty awesome too (and has a great contract). I don't think a Selke-calibre 60-70 point centre and a near Selke-calibre 90-100 point winger is a huge stretch in exchange for Malkin.

Anyway, it's just a hypothetical situation. Certainly Gaborik's value is not the same as Malkin's because while I think they are of a similar calibre, Malkin is younger, less injury-prone and has a better contract situation. Which is why I included Koivu.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum