GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

1st Round Opponents

+19
SensGirl11
caissie_1
Riprock
KidKarlsson
Number Twenty Nine
shabbs
SeawaySensFan
CockRoche
Hoags
rooneypoo
dennycrane
Phoenix30
LeCaptain
wprager
Bramlet07
PTFlea
Ev
PKC
SensHulk
23 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next

Go down  Message [Page 11 of 15]

1511st Round Opponents - Page 11 Empty Re: 1st Round Opponents Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:33 pm

SpezDispenser wrote:
hemlock wrote:
I don't think we are sneaking up on anyone. I like how we match up against a team like the Caps. I tend to agree with R.J. Umberger in that a good defensive team will at the very least slow them down somewhat. The Caps won't be nearly as dangerous as they were/are in the regular season.

I believe we can beat any team in the East 4 out of 7 times if we are playing well. If we play like we did the first 7 games after the Olympics, we are going out very quickly though.

I sincerely believe that we won't play like we did post-Olympics. Too many guys who have the competitive drive and the first time in 3 years that Alfie will play a playoff series near healthy (knock on wood).

This is where Cullen's gonna pay off big time too. Nice depth and a guy who's gone all the way and won it. Kovalev as well, but it's definitely not as fresh as Cullen.

Cullen will pay off especially if we lose a scorer during the playoffs. He's a nice insurance policy for sure, and with a full lineup, like icing on the cake.

1521st Round Opponents - Page 11 Empty Re: 1st Round Opponents Sat Apr 10, 2010 2:10 am

Ev

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Do you think we re-sign Cullen if we lose in the first round?

1531st Round Opponents - Page 11 Empty Re: 1st Round Opponents Sat Apr 10, 2010 7:33 am

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

Hoags wrote:We didn't have much playoff experience in net when Emery played for us either.

And he went 5-5 with a 2.88 GAA that year. Our team was stacked and we got dumped in the 2nd round. Not saying it was Ray's fault, but the general consensus was that, had Hasek been playing, we would have been the team to beat league-wide.

Anyhow, I'm not a great believer in playoff experience being the trump card -- it's not, but not having any playoff experience is certainly not a bonus either.

Hoags wrote:
I believe in Elliott, he has what it takes and he's gotten us this far. Every great goalie was unknown rookie heading into the post season at one point, this is Elliott's chance to shine. At the end of this season we'll know what he's made of.

Dominic Hasek was 0-2 in his first 6 playoff games, spread over two seasons. Hasek was a bit of a late bloomer, and that's even with 8 years separating his draft from his first game in the NHL. Point is, not all great goalies are great right away.

Hoags wrote:
I think it'll really come to whether the Sens execute their game plan and are all on the same page. When the entire team is firing on all cylinders they're a treat to watch.

They need to come out of the gate flying, like Team Canada did against the Russians. No more slow starts, no more underestimating opponents.

I believe they have what it takes to give any opponent we may face a run for their money, they just need to bring it and not let up.

Yep, what the doctor ordered. Hopefully they won't let up (like they semi-consistently have done against weaker opponents).

1541st Round Opponents - Page 11 Empty Re: 1st Round Opponents Sat Apr 10, 2010 1:29 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Big Ev wrote:Do you think we re-sign Cullen if we lose in the first round?

I was wondering the same thing. Yes? I think so anyway. Volchenkov will walk, we'll have the $$ to pay Cullen and Sutton.

1551st Round Opponents - Page 11 Empty Re: 1st Round Opponents Sat Apr 10, 2010 1:55 pm

SDH89

SDH89
Veteran
Veteran

SpezDispenser wrote:

I was wondering the same thing. Yes? I think so anyway. Volchenkov will walk, we'll have the $$ to pay Cullen and Sutton.

I hope you're right Spez, but for some reason I just don't see Cullen re-upping here. I think he could command 3+ million on the open market (too much for us) and will sign elsewhere.

1561st Round Opponents - Page 11 Empty Re: 1st Round Opponents Sat Apr 10, 2010 2:00 pm

caissie_1

caissie_1
Veteran
Veteran

SDH89 wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:

I hope you're right Spez, but for some reason I just don't see Cullen re-upping here. I think he could command 3+ million on the open market (too much for us) and will sign elsewhere.

He could very well end up back in Carolina!

1571st Round Opponents - Page 11 Empty Re: 1st Round Opponents Sat Apr 10, 2010 2:36 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

SDH89 wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:

With cap relief for Kovalev they can spend as much as they want.

1581st Round Opponents - Page 11 Empty Re: 1st Round Opponents Sat Apr 10, 2010 3:46 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Cap relief for Kovalev? What are you guys talking about? We won't need any relief as the players that are called up to replace him won't have a salary that is more than Kovalev's.

1591st Round Opponents - Page 11 Empty Re: 1st Round Opponents Sat Apr 10, 2010 10:06 pm

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Look's like it's the Penguins for sure now

1st Round Opponents - Page 11 White_flag_surrender

1601st Round Opponents - Page 11 Empty Re: 1st Round Opponents Sat Apr 10, 2010 10:23 pm

SensGirl11

SensGirl11
Mod
Mod

For sure Pens, they confirmed it on CBC. I'm cool with that. 1st Round Opponents - Page 11 805406

1611st Round Opponents - Page 11 Empty Re: 1st Round Opponents Sat Apr 10, 2010 10:26 pm

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

They're playing the Isles tomorrow for one final tune-up. Isles have given up 13 goals in the last 2 games. Expect them to score 8 on them to build some confidence going into Round 1.

1621st Round Opponents - Page 11 Empty Re: 1st Round Opponents Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:02 am

SDH89

SDH89
Veteran
Veteran

Big Ev wrote:Look's like it's the Penguins for sure now

Hope you don't hurt your feet jumping off the bandwagon.

1631st Round Opponents - Page 11 Empty Re: 1st Round Opponents Sun Apr 11, 2010 7:54 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

shabbs wrote:Cap relief for Kovalev? What are you guys talking about? We won't need any relief as the players that are called up to replace him won't have a salary that is more than Kovalev's.

I'm talking about next season. We don't have *anyone* down on the farm, or anyone in the locker room to replace 50 points. And given how our season went down, we probably need a 60-65 points player (that is what many here were expecting from Kovalev). If we have cap relief we could get a $3M player (assuming Kovalev will eventually suit up).

1641st Round Opponents - Page 11 Empty Re: 1st Round Opponents Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:57 am

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Bring on the Penguins...

1651st Round Opponents - Page 11 Empty Re: 1st Round Opponents Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:58 am

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

wprager wrote:
shabbs wrote:Cap relief for Kovalev? What are you guys talking about? We won't need any relief as the players that are called up to replace him won't have a salary that is more than Kovalev's.

I'm talking about next season. We don't have *anyone* down on the farm, or anyone in the locker room to replace 50 points. And given how our season went down, we probably need a 60-65 points player (that is what many here were expecting from Kovalev). If we have cap relief we could get a $3M player (assuming Kovalev will eventually suit up).
You think he won't be ready to go next season?

I guess it all depends on where our cap situation is (that determines if we get relief or not) and how long he's expected to be out.

Last edited by shabbs on Sun Apr 11, 2010 9:19 am; edited 2 times in total

1661st Round Opponents - Page 11 Empty Re: 1st Round Opponents Sun Apr 11, 2010 9:06 am

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

I'm not predicting or guaranteeing anything, but maybe we get a surprise next year with a guy like Mike Hoffman coming in and scoring 22 goals and 41 points like Jamie Benn did in his rookie season with Dallas.

1671st Round Opponents - Page 11 Empty Re: 1st Round Opponents Sun Apr 11, 2010 9:08 am

SensHulk

SensHulk
All-Star
All-Star

shabbs wrote:Bring on the Penguins...

Finally! Its been decided. I'm excited for this matchup, both teams are pretty even. Plus I don't have to change my avatar now haha

1681st Round Opponents - Page 11 Empty Re: 1st Round Opponents Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:29 am

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

SDH89 wrote:
Big Ev wrote:Look's like it's the Penguins for sure now

Hope you don't hurt your feet jumping off the bandwagon.

I'm not jumping off the bandwagon, I just don't think we have it this year. Still cheering, obviously.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 11 of 15]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum