GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Bad Times in Leaf Nation

+13
rooneypoo
PKC
asq2
SDH89
wprager
LeCaptain
PTFlea
The Silfer Server
Riprock
Hoags
SeawaySensFan
Cap'n Clutch
SensGirl11
17 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down  Message [Page 6 of 8]

76Bad Times in Leaf Nation - Page 6 Empty Re: Bad Times in Leaf Nation Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:26 am

PKC

All-Star
All-Star

Dash wrote:Well, when you say you don't think Hall is as good as Tavares, let me just say there are many that feel Hall is better than Tavares. There are some that even thought had Tavares gone in to 2008 draft, he would have been taken 2nd behind Stamkos.

It was a bad deal. An offer sheet would have gotten him for less. Boston was in a bind and the Leafs got the shaft, explain that one. I'm not saying adding Kessel was bad, but the price it cost them is. Two top 5 picks, for example, would combine for less than one Kessel cap wise. They'd have more space to work with and would not be in a pinch with the cap.

You're argument is based on hindsight. Many thought the Leafs had a good enough roster to compete for a playoff spot, including many on this forum.

Just because their season has inexplicably gone to the dumps, doesn't mean this trade was bad. That's like saying that if they were in first overall, that this trade would have been a fleecing for Burke.

It's called a logical fallacy.

77Bad Times in Leaf Nation - Page 6 Empty Re: Bad Times in Leaf Nation Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:33 am

Riprock

All-Star
All-Star

N4L wrote:
PKC wrote:
Dash wrote:Well, I doubt they address the real problems with the team, i.e. Burke and Wilson... so someone or some people will take the heat.

Seriously, where are the true Leaf fans speaking out about how their GM that was to be their savior sent away two potential top 5 picks, with this years looking to be a 1st/2nd?

I don't think the trade was that bad. Yes, Kessel has regressed slightly this year, but he's way to young to believe that he reached his ceiling last year in Boston. Expecting this kid to become a perennial 35+ goal scorer isn't far fetched and that's pretty much what you'd be expecting out of this year's top players in the draft.

For the record, I don't believe either Hall or Seguin will have as big an impact as Tavares. So, realistically, assuming that the Leafs would have drafted a forward with their pick, they'd be looking to get a Phil Kessel calibre player.

Instead of going that route and developing that draft pick, they went with the already developed player.

The big problem in Toronto is that they have so much failure on that roster. No heart, no team unity, no high end skill (aside from Kessel and Kaberle).

That trade was awful from the second it was a thought in Burke's mind. With the roster Burke put together he actualyl believed they had a shot, the media even bought into his BS.

There is no shot in hell, especially for Kessel (a guy with no heart and hasnt proven a thing in The NHL) that trading your first rounder this year and next while "rebuilding" was ever a good idea or something that should be considered.

You know how many first round pics (their own) Ottawa has ever given away? None, ever. For the most part they are competitive year in and out, that's why Toronto has 1 good year in 5 on average. Same old things in Toronto, just a bigger goof in charge. Burke is the most over rated GM in The NHL by a large margin.

Exactly. For the most part, fans and media thought it was too much to give up. I say it is a bad deal on how much they gave up alone. While I think Kessel is capable of scoring (but then again who isn't when playing with a very good playmaker?), I do not think his addition made the Leafs a contender. I didn't think they ever had a contender. They paid way too much for guys that looked good in comparison on other teams. Not only did he overpay for MK, he has likely set the bar for UFA bargaining rights. If MK is worth that much, Volchy is then by logic worth that much. How do you feel about that? This is the same Burke that said the Penner offer sheet drove up salaries for young 2nd contract players, then he signs a one-dimensional player to a $4.5 M deal.

78Bad Times in Leaf Nation - Page 6 Empty Re: Bad Times in Leaf Nation Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:36 am

I said it was awful the second it happend. Hated the deal, people called it hate for The Leafs, nope, it was utter stupidity. Everything Burke has done thus far has been awful.

79Bad Times in Leaf Nation - Page 6 Empty Re: Bad Times in Leaf Nation Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:09 am

PKC

PKC
All-Star
All-Star

If anyone wants the link to Leafs press conference, try this:

http://mapleleafs.nhl.tv/team/console.jsp?catid=616&id=58871

80Bad Times in Leaf Nation - Page 6 Empty Re: Bad Times in Leaf Nation Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:11 am

PKC

PKC
All-Star
All-Star

Darren Dreger is providing updates via Twitter.

Just posted: "Something enormous
is about to go down. Working on it" updated 3 minutes ago

81Bad Times in Leaf Nation - Page 6 Empty Re: Bad Times in Leaf Nation Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:49 am

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

that link is for an NCAA game

82Bad Times in Leaf Nation - Page 6 Empty Re: Bad Times in Leaf Nation Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:53 am

PKC

PKC
All-Star
All-Star

Dash wrote:that link is for an NCAA game

Burke hasn't arrived at the podium yet...

83Bad Times in Leaf Nation - Page 6 Empty Re: Bad Times in Leaf Nation Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:58 am

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

oh... so all these rumours are just that rightn ow, no official announcement

84Bad Times in Leaf Nation - Page 6 Empty Re: Bad Times in Leaf Nation Sun Jan 31, 2010 12:00 pm

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

Burke is up:

Phaneuf, Sjostrom, Aulie, for Hagman, Stajan, White and Mayers

85Bad Times in Leaf Nation - Page 6 Empty Re: Bad Times in Leaf Nation Sun Jan 31, 2010 12:24 pm

AlfieisGod11

Rookie
Rookie

If it's possible, the Leafs have gotten worse

86Bad Times in Leaf Nation - Page 6 Empty Re: Bad Times in Leaf Nation Sun Jan 31, 2010 12:31 pm

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

AlfieisGod11 wrote:If it's possible, the Leafs have gotten worse

Their top 6 certainly just became even more laughable...

Kessel, Blake, Grabovski, Kulemin, Bozak, and Poni, I guess?

Meanwhile, their bottom 6...

Stempniak, Primeau, Sjostrom, Orr, Wallin, Rosehill, and Mitchell.

Yikes.

87Bad Times in Leaf Nation - Page 6 Empty Re: Bad Times in Leaf Nation Sun Jan 31, 2010 12:36 pm

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

Can the Leafs call up Kadri? Is it fair to London, and is it even possible?

88Bad Times in Leaf Nation - Page 6 Empty Re: Bad Times in Leaf Nation Sun Jan 31, 2010 12:38 pm

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

Dash wrote:Can the Leafs call up Kadri? Is it fair to London, and is it even possible?

I doubt they have the cap space. Kadri's ELC is for the max allowable -- $3.75 mil or whatever.

89Bad Times in Leaf Nation - Page 6 Empty Re: Bad Times in Leaf Nation Sun Jan 31, 2010 12:39 pm

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

That's a crazy amount of money.

90Bad Times in Leaf Nation - Page 6 Empty Re: Bad Times in Leaf Nation Sun Jan 31, 2010 12:55 pm

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

Darren Dreger reports on Twitter that Blake and Toskala to Anaheim for Giguere is done

91Bad Times in Leaf Nation - Page 6 Empty Re: Bad Times in Leaf Nation Sun Jan 31, 2010 12:58 pm

beerandsens

beerandsens
Sophomore
Sophomore

Well, that further degenerates Toronto's top 6...

92Bad Times in Leaf Nation - Page 6 Empty Re: Bad Times in Leaf Nation Sun Jan 31, 2010 2:16 pm

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

beerandsens wrote:Well, that further degenerates Toronto's top 6...

And give Boston a Diddling Taylor Hall.

Tabarnak!

93Bad Times in Leaf Nation - Page 6 Empty Re: Bad Times in Leaf Nation Sun Jan 31, 2010 2:23 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

rooneypoo wrote:
Dash wrote:Can the Leafs call up Kadri? Is it fair to London, and is it even possible?

I doubt they have the cap space. Kadri's ELC is for the max allowable -- $3.75 mil or whatever.

Wouldn't it depend on *what* the bonuses are? Plus the whole bonus cushion thing.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 6 of 8]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum