GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Bad Times in Leaf Nation

+13
rooneypoo
PKC
asq2
SDH89
wprager
LeCaptain
PTFlea
The Silfer Server
Riprock
Hoags
SeawaySensFan
Cap'n Clutch
SensGirl11
17 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 8]

1Bad Times in Leaf Nation Empty Bad Times in Leaf Nation Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:10 am

SensGirl11

SensGirl11
Mod
Mod

Things just seem to be getting worse for them.

Jamal Mayers has asked for a trade - 5 points in 42 Games.

Let the trades begin!!

Jamal Mayers wants out, Colton Orr dropped his gloves with the intention of punching out Luke Schenn and by the end of practice on Wednesday, the Maple Leafs were sucking a lot more than usual.

And so it goes for the local hockey heroes, just a few months removed from another spring when surely they will scatter as 16 other National Hockey League teams compete in the Stanley Cup tournament.

With four consecutive losses dragging his team further into the depths of the NHL standings, coach Ron Wilson stood at one end of the rink at MasterCard Centre in Etobicoke, doing his best drill sergeant bit as his players endured a 20-minute bag skate, finally collapsing at centre ice as they gasped to re-fill their lungs.

Wilson said it simply was the matter of two days off from games that allowed him to give the Leafs a conditioning skate. Right.

“I think we got the message,” forward Lee Stempniak said. “We needed to get a little kick in the butt. It was warranted and we will be better for it on Friday (in New Jersey against the Devils).”

Mayers, 35, thinks he has a lot to offer, and wants to win. That won’t be happening in Toronto, so his agent, Pat Brisson, has been given the green light by general manager Brian Burke to find a trade partner.

“I can play a specific role and it is no secret that teams look for certain things like more depth for a playoff run,” Mayers said. “I have not had a chance to win yet so I would certainly like to have that.”

Burke wasn’t thrilled that Mayers’ request became public.

“We would prefer to handle situations like this internally,” Burke said. “The agent asked for a trade and I have no idea why the agent leaked this. We’ve let teams know he is available.”

In 42 games, Mayers has a goal and four assists and 76 penalty minutes, supposedly bringing the kind of truculence Burke wants.

Unhappy with the lack of intensity in recent games, Wilson instituted several physical drills on Wednesday, kicking off the workout with one-on-one battles in the corner. Orr and Schenn had a disagreement, and when Orr’s primal instincts kicked in, the two were separated before they could fight. Both later shrugged off the incident, but Wilson liked it.

“Certainly,” Wilson said. “You hope that when you get pushing each other in drills, it carries over to the games. That’s what we need to do in games, not so much against each other. If you don’t practise it, you’re not going to be good at it.”

As for Mayers and the trade talk, it’s going to be a small part of speculation infiltrating the club until the Olympic break, and then until the NHL deadline passes on March 3 at 3 p.m. EST.

Forwards Niklas Hagman, Alexei Ponikarovsky, Matt Stajan and Stempniak, among others, will attract varying degrees of interest.

“It is tough on the family, but it is a business,” Ponikarovsky said.

2Bad Times in Leaf Nation Empty Re: Bad Times in Leaf Nation Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:17 am

SensGirl11

SensGirl11
Mod
Mod

TORONTO — The list of Maple Leafs who would not mind a new address is growing.

The agent for defenceman Garnet Exelby has been given permission to seek a trade, Leafs general manager Brian Burke told SportingNews.com on Wednesday. Exelby’s agent is Neil Abbott.

“He has asked to keep (a trade) in mind,” Burke said. “I’m not offended by that. He’d like to stay, he just wants to play.”

Forward Jamal Mayers told reporters on Wednesday he wants to play for a winner and would welcome a trade.

Exelby, acquired from the Atlanta Thrashers in the Pavel Kubina deal last summer, has been a healthy scratch 22 times this season.

He has thre assists and 40 penalty minutes in 32 games.

The Leafs, losers of four in a row, likely will be sellers as the trade deadline approaches.

3Bad Times in Leaf Nation Empty Re: Bad Times in Leaf Nation Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:19 am

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

It sounds like the whole team wants out except maybe Kaberle. Laughing3

- Unknown Author

4Bad Times in Leaf Nation Empty Re: Bad Times in Leaf Nation Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:22 am

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Chris Neil is to WIN as Bad Times in Leaf Nation are to Joy in Hockey Country.

5Bad Times in Leaf Nation Empty Re: Bad Times in Leaf Nation Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:24 am

Hoags

Hoags
All-Star
All-Star

Burke certainly oversold the team in the offseason, they were supposed to be ahead of us according to 'experts' Bad Times in Leaf Nation 270956

Feel bad for the players there .... it must be a gong show in the dressing room.

6Bad Times in Leaf Nation Empty Re: Bad Times in Leaf Nation Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:28 am

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Hoags wrote:Burke certainly oversold the team in the offseason, they were supposed to be ahead of us according to 'experts' Bad Times in Leaf Nation 270956

Feel bad for the players there .... it must be a gong show in the dressing room.

The "experts" were also off on Phoenix, Colorado, LA, Buffalo, New Jersey, Nashville and on and on and on.

- Unknown Author

7Bad Times in Leaf Nation Empty Re: Bad Times in Leaf Nation Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:29 am

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

SeawaySensFan wrote:Chris Neil is to WIN as Bad Times in Leaf Nation are to Joy in Hockey Country.

Or Clouston is to Metal as playoff failure in Leaf Nation is to Bliss in Hockey Country.

- Unknown Author

8Bad Times in Leaf Nation Empty Re: Bad Times in Leaf Nation Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:33 am

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Cap'n Clutch wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:Chris Neil is to WIN as Bad Times in Leaf Nation are to Joy in Hockey Country.

Or Clouston is to Metal as playoff failure in Leaf Nation is to Bliss in Hockey Country.

Remember when Clouston kicked Carrie Underwood to the curb because she doesn't dig The Metal? Fun times.

9Bad Times in Leaf Nation Empty Re: Bad Times in Leaf Nation Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:34 am

SensGirl11

SensGirl11
Mod
Mod

It must just be hell to be part of that team right now. Trade them all!!!! I'll take a few of them over here please!!

10Bad Times in Leaf Nation Empty Re: Bad Times in Leaf Nation Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:43 am

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

What a great trade that Kubina deal was..... for Atlanta!!! Another genius trade by the almighty Brian Burke.

Mayers is a good guy, but I don't think he has much value.

11Bad Times in Leaf Nation Empty Re: Bad Times in Leaf Nation Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:45 am

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

SeawaySensFan wrote:
Cap'n Clutch wrote:

Remember when Clouston kicked Carrie Underwood to the curb because she doesn't dig The Metal? Fun times.

I thought that was just a rumour? Sarcasm

- Unknown Author

12Bad Times in Leaf Nation Empty Re: Bad Times in Leaf Nation Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:17 am

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Isn't it the MasterCard Centre for Hockey Excellence? Bad Times in Leaf Nation 270956

13Bad Times in Leaf Nation Empty Re: Bad Times in Leaf Nation Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:28 am

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Burke trades for Excelby - Price? Kubina

Burke trades for Kessel - Price? 2 first rounders and a second rounder

Burke feels his team is still in playoff contention? Priceless.

- Unknown Author

14Bad Times in Leaf Nation Empty Re: Bad Times in Leaf Nation Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:03 am

The Silfer Server

The Silfer Server
Veteran
Veteran

HHAHAHAHAHAH... I'm laughing not at the Leafs misfortune, but at Burke's hypocrisy... Does anybody remember this:

TSN wrote:"When you have players come ask you for a trade, I tell the players
'don't finish that sentence,' because once you ask, I'm going to move
you," Burke stated. "If a player wants out, you're darn right I'm
going to move you. I'm not kissing anyone's Donkey to play in my town, so
to hell with you, don't finish the sentence. My second rule is if I
hear about this, you're not going anywhere."

15Bad Times in Leaf Nation Empty Re: Bad Times in Leaf Nation Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:05 am

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Bass Destruction wrote:HHAHAHAHAHAH... I'm laughing not at the Leafs misfortune, but at Burke's hypocrisy... Does anybody remember this:

TSN wrote:"When you have players come ask you for a trade, I tell the players
'don't finish that sentence,' because once you ask, I'm going to move
you," Burke stated. "If a player wants out, you're darn right I'm
going to move you. I'm not kissing anyone's Donkey to play in my town, so
to hell with you, don't finish the sentence. My second rule is if I
hear about this, you're not going anywhere."

Does not surprise me at all.

- Unknown Author

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 8]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Permissions in this forum: