GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Bad Times in Leaf Nation

+13
rooneypoo
PKC
asq2
SDH89
wprager
LeCaptain
PTFlea
The Silfer Server
Riprock
Hoags
SeawaySensFan
Cap'n Clutch
SensGirl11
17 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down  Message [Page 4 of 8]

46Bad Times in Leaf Nation - Page 4 Empty Re: Bad Times in Leaf Nation Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:41 am

N4L wrote:
rooneypoo wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:
hemlock wrote:
Oh yeah, give me Carkner everytime over XLB. Even in a few years if our 3 D prospects are panning out nicely, and assuming we've got Phillips/A-Train, Carkner is a guy that I'd hang on to...over Campoli, Lee or Picard. He's does alot of things that you love to be able to have the option to chuck into the lineup when the situation calls for it. If someone goes down to injury, you can throw him in there and he wouldn't look out of place.

Diddle yeah. I haven't seen that guy quite once this year, he's a warrior.

This is a guy who's waited pretty much half of his life for this opportunity, and he plays like it every single night. He is probably the best bang-for-buck on this team -- although with Elliott, Regin, Foligno, and Shannon, he does have a lot of competition.

This is the big different with OTT this year -- getting the most out of the guys they're paying $500K-$1mil. How many guys on this team are going to finish with 20 or more goals? 4 or 5? How many more with 10+? Another 4 or 5? F'ing awesome. That's how you win in this new cap era.

Really? I would disagree because Elliott, Shannon, and Foligno all had good seasons last year just the makeup of the team was totally off along with some coaching. Might be a case of too litter, too late though.

This year the biggest difference IMO is a more disiplined team that works its off. The Sens for the most part never give up and are constantly getting better.

I would say Elliott is absolutely the best bang for the buck though. I dont see Carkner getting first star if the week anytime soon as much as I love him.

Burke is an absolute moron though, Ive been screaming that from the second he got that job. The only deal I liked was getting Joey Mac as a UFA.

This is my new favourite Neely quote. This is right up there with 'Diabeeties' I missed you man.
Bad Times in Leaf Nation - Page 4 62136

47Bad Times in Leaf Nation - Page 4 Empty Re: Bad Times in Leaf Nation Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:14 am

That one was just a type o, the others are pretty legit.

48Bad Times in Leaf Nation - Page 4 Empty Re: Bad Times in Leaf Nation Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:11 am

rooneypoo

All-Star
All-Star

N4L wrote:
rooneypoo wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:
hemlock wrote:
Oh yeah, give me Carkner everytime over XLB. Even in a few years if our 3 D prospects are panning out nicely, and assuming we've got Phillips/A-Train, Carkner is a guy that I'd hang on to...over Campoli, Lee or Picard. He's does alot of things that you love to be able to have the option to chuck into the lineup when the situation calls for it. If someone goes down to injury, you can throw him in there and he wouldn't look out of place.

Diddle yeah. I haven't seen that guy quite once this year, he's a warrior.

This is a guy who's waited pretty much half of his life for this opportunity, and he plays like it every single night. He is probably the best bang-for-buck on this team -- although with Elliott, Regin, Foligno, and Shannon, he does have a lot of competition.

This is the big different with OTT this year -- getting the most out of the guys they're paying $500K-$1mil. How many guys on this team are going to finish with 20 or more goals? 4 or 5? How many more with 10+? Another 4 or 5? F'ing awesome. That's how you win in this new cap era.

Really? I would disagree because Elliott, Shannon, and Foligno all had good seasons last year just the makeup of the team was totally off along with some coaching. Might be a case of too litter, too late though.

This year the biggest difference IMO is a more disiplined team that works its off. The Sens for the most part never give up and are constantly getting better.

I would say Elliott is absolutely the best bang for the buck though. I dont see Carkner getting first star if the week anytime soon as much as I love him.

Burke is an absolute moron though, Ive been screaming that from the second he got that job. The only deal I liked was getting Joey Mac as a UFA.

Yeah, I guess I should have said "This is the big difference with OTT this year -- they're getting the most of out those low salary guys, all year long." I agree, those same players picked it up huge for us last year when Clouston came in. Still, there's a pretty big difference in my mind between playing well when there's very little on the line, and playing well when the season is on the line.

I would agree with everything else, tho', although I would hesitate to add that, while Elliott has been absolutely standout for this month, Carkner has been standout pretty much all season. Elliott's performance brings more to the table and is more important in some ways, sure, but Carkner is the guy who's been contributing steadily all year long. That's partly what I had in mind with the 'best bang for buck' comment -- consistency.

Anyway, a lot of our kids looking really good at the moment -- Foligino, Karlsson, Elliott, Z. Smith (and I'm guessing we're going to be seeing more of him very soon). Karlsson has come along by leaps and bounds over the last month, in particular. The last three-four games, he's playing so confident and rushing & defending so well that he actually looks bigger than he is.

49Bad Times in Leaf Nation - Page 4 Empty Re: Bad Times in Leaf Nation Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:14 am

Ill never trash Carkner, but being a rookie goalie who has a limited amount of time playing pro vs a guy who has really learned his craft as much as he possibly could and plays a limited role on the ice in terms of what's asked of him. What Elliott does is a lot tougher, has a lot more pressure, and is what will win and lose games for The Sens. Carkner, not so much but I was defently the one saying he absolutely deserved to be there and will be an absolute steal of a signing at 700K for next year and the year after. No one is higher on that guy then I am, same can be said for Elliott.

50Bad Times in Leaf Nation - Page 4 Empty Re: Bad Times in Leaf Nation Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:20 am

PKC

PKC
All-Star
All-Star

N4L wrote:Ill never trash Carkner, but being a rookie goalie who has a limited amount of time playing pro vs a guy who has really learned his craft as much as he possibly could and plays a limited role on the ice in terms of what's asked of him. What Elliott does is a lot tougher, has a lot more pressure, and is what will win and lose games for The Sens. Carkner, not so much but I was defently the one saying he absolutely deserved to be there and will be an absolute steal of a signing at 700K for next year and the year after. No one is higher on that guy then I am, same can be said for Elliott.

Carkner is the kind of hard hat and work boots player that makes your team better. At his price tag, he's exactly the kind of player other teams look around and say "Damn, we need a guy like that too."

As for Elliott, his talent level is there, his winning mentality is there and his mental focus is there. It's just a matter of seasoning and experience at this point.

51Bad Times in Leaf Nation - Page 4 Empty Re: Bad Times in Leaf Nation Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:22 am

Yup, people also forget this kid has been in The NHL for exactly 1 year and this is his 3rd year of a real work load. He was so much more raw in a lot of ways then most goalies to come into the league. Right now you are just starting to see what's possible with Elliott.

52Bad Times in Leaf Nation - Page 4 Empty Re: Bad Times in Leaf Nation Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:32 am

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

N4L wrote:Yup, people also forget this kid has been in The NHL for exactly 1 year and this is his 3rd year of a real work load. He was so much more raw in a lot of ways then most goalies to come into the league. Right now you are just starting to see what's possible with Elliott.

Boy, you don't know how much I hope you're right about that.

53Bad Times in Leaf Nation - Page 4 Empty Re: Bad Times in Leaf Nation Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:36 am

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

N4L wrote:Ill never trash Carkner, but being a rookie goalie who has a limited amount of time playing pro vs a guy who has really learned his craft as much as he possibly could and plays a limited role on the ice in terms of what's asked of him. What Elliott does is a lot tougher, has a lot more pressure, and is what will win and lose games for The Sens. Carkner, not so much but I was defently the one saying he absolutely deserved to be there and will be an absolute steal of a signing at 700K for next year and the year after. No one is higher on that guy then I am, same can be said for Elliott.

My only quibble here is that Elliott, who was fantastic down the stretch last year and is fantastic right now, was very mediocre for the three months or so previous. That's like half of his NHL career. Last year convinced me he could be a #1. Last fall introduced a seed of doubt. This month, well, he looks like he's back on track.

I fully concede that Carkner's role means he's not contributing in the same way that Elliott is, but Carkner's been there night in and night out this year -- Elliott wasn't much to talk about in the fall of 2009 and he just showed up in the winter of 2010. I don't mean that as a slam, but just a gentle reminder that Elliott has not been great for us all season -- rather, he's been great for us recently.

Anyway, the fact that we're having a debate about "which player earning less than $1 mil this year is contributing more to the team?" is a fantastic sign. OTT fans win big in general on that one, regardless of which guy they settle on.

54Bad Times in Leaf Nation - Page 4 Empty Re: Bad Times in Leaf Nation Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:04 pm

SpezDispenser wrote:
N4L wrote:Yup, people also forget this kid has been in The NHL for exactly 1 year and this is his 3rd year of a real work load. He was so much more raw in a lot of ways then most goalies to come into the league. Right now you are just starting to see what's possible with Elliott.

Anyone see his juggling act in the pre-game? He must have left clown college to go to Wisconsin. Dude is a solid juggler. Nice to know he has something to fall back on if hockey doesn't work out.

55Bad Times in Leaf Nation - Page 4 Empty Re: Bad Times in Leaf Nation Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:06 pm

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

MurderOnIce wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:

Anyone see his juggling act in the pre-game? He must have left clown college to go to Wisconsin. Dude is a solid juggler. Nice to know he has something to fall back on if hockey doesn't work out.

Dude is committed to being an NHL goalie and keeping his hand-eye sharp. He just seems to do everything right.

56Bad Times in Leaf Nation - Page 4 Empty Re: Bad Times in Leaf Nation Fri Jan 29, 2010 7:47 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Ttretiak used to play ping-pong to keep sharp. Elliott juggles. I especially liked his jogging trick where he jogged along while bounce-juggling the balls.

57Bad Times in Leaf Nation - Page 4 Empty Re: Bad Times in Leaf Nation Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:28 pm

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

So, Any relation to some bad times in Leaf Nation going on with this talk? Or good times in Sens Nation actually mean the same?

58Bad Times in Leaf Nation - Page 4 Empty Re: Bad Times in Leaf Nation Sat Jan 30, 2010 11:29 am

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Thank goodness the Leafs at least got a point last night. I fear for Hall and the Bruins, I really do.

59Bad Times in Leaf Nation - Page 4 Empty Re: Bad Times in Leaf Nation Sat Jan 30, 2010 9:22 pm

sens4win

sens4win
Veteran
Veteran

the leafs just blew a 3-0 lead really are they that bad!? may i note thanks to the sedin twins of course

60Bad Times in Leaf Nation - Page 4 Empty Re: Bad Times in Leaf Nation Sat Jan 30, 2010 10:35 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Unbelievable. No, really, I cannot believe it. But I checked, and it's true.

61Bad Times in Leaf Nation - Page 4 Empty Re: Bad Times in Leaf Nation Sat Jan 30, 2010 10:42 pm

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

wprager wrote:Unbelievable. No, really, I cannot believe it. But I checked, and it's true.

It's always the same, really. I would have bet 100$ after the 1st period for a Canucks win...

62Bad Times in Leaf Nation - Page 4 Empty Re: Bad Times in Leaf Nation Sat Jan 30, 2010 11:26 pm

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

As soon as the Leafs take a lead they should just cede the game and save themselves the risk of injuries occuring.

63Bad Times in Leaf Nation - Page 4 Empty Re: Bad Times in Leaf Nation Sun Jan 31, 2010 12:22 am

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

LOL.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 4 of 8]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum