GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

RFAs/UFAs/Rookies -- what will the Sens look like next year?

+7
PKC
ddt
Flo The Action
Riprock
The Montagoose
wprager
11 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 4]

Smith would add as much to the on-ice product as Cheechoo, and at 1/5 the cost.

I think you guys are fooling yourselves if you think he isn't getting bought out as soon as it's possible.

PKC

All-Star
All-Star

Gohan wrote:Smith would add as much to the on-ice product as Cheechoo, and at 1/5 the cost.

I think you guys are fooling yourselves if you think he isn't getting bought out as soon as it's possible.

I think you're fooling yourself if you think the Senators are just going to continue to buy out players annually.

There is no imperative reason to buy out Cheechoo for the sake of adding Zach Smith. Absolutely none.

Well, they didn't buy out anyone last season, so I guess that's that...

And the reasons for buying out Cheechoo would be a combination of a) freeing up cap space, b) freeing up a roster spot, and c) filling that spot through either a younger lateral move or an upgrade.

Each reason is valid in itself; combine them and you've got one inevitable buyout.

The bigger question Imo is whether Murray decides to re-sign Volchenkov, trade Kuba, both, or neither? I get the feeling Murray likes Kuba (and we know he likes the players he's drafted or coached in the past)...

The Montagoose

Prospect
Prospect

Gohan wrote:Well, they didn't buy out anyone last season, so I guess that's that...

And the reasons for buying out Cheechoo would be a combination of a) freeing up cap space, b) freeing up a roster spot, and c) filling that spot through either a younger lateral move or an upgrade.

Each reason is valid in itself; combine them and you've got one inevitable buyout.

at 2/3 for twice as long as the lenght of his contract. My guess is that he isnt bought out. He is what Murray wanted in the locker room, other than the salary, and I believe its only a matter of time before the pucks go in more regularly. Heck the combined buy out and added salary for his replacement would bring the cap hit back up. Might as well pay the piper for the remainder of the contract and be free and clear.

2/3 over twice is 1M per season for the next two years. add in .600k for a replacement and thats an additional 1.4M to the cap.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Gohan, you just made the argument *against* your position.

$1M + $0.6M for two seasons is $3.2M versus $3M for one season. You save $200K and have more cap space sooner. A buy out only makes sense if they needed an extra $1.4M right away, perhaps to sign one of the RFAs.

Sophomore
Sophomore

Ok, heres my last wish list for 2010.

AUTO-GENERATED CAPGEEK.COM LINES
FORWARDS
Jason Spezza ($7.000m) / Alexei Kovalev ($5.000m) / Daniel Alfredsson ($4.875m)
Milan Michalek ($4.333m) / Mike Fisher ($4.200m) / Jonathan Cheechoo ($3.000m)
* Colby Armstrong ($2.750m) / Chris Neil ($2.000m) / Jarkko Ruutu ($1.300m)
* Nick Foligno ($1.200m) / * Jesse Winchester ($0.750m) / * Peter Regin ($0.750m)
DEFENSEMEN
* Anton Volchenkov ($3.750m) / Chris Phillips ($3.500m)
* Marc-Andre Bergeron ($2.000m) / * Zbynek Michalek ($1.500m)
Erik Karlsson ($1.300m) / Matt Carkner ($0.700m)
GOALTENDERS
Pascal Leclaire ($3.800m) / Brian Elliott ($0.850m)
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS
ROSTER: 20; PAYROLL: $55.821m; CAP ROOM: $1.404m BONUSES: $0.425m

The Montagoose

Prospect
Prospect

wprager wrote:Gohan, you just made the argument *against* your position.

$1M + $0.6M for two seasons is $3.2M versus $3M for one season. You save $200K and have more cap space sooner. A buy out only makes sense if they needed an extra $1.4M right away, perhaps to sign one of the RFAs.

You then add in the replacements salary you are back to paying close to what cheechoos salary is. So yeah why be punished by adding on another year when he will be gone after next. Heck he might have a rebound year next year because its a contract year.

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

wprager wrote:Gohan, you just made the argument *against* your position.

That math doesn't work out either.

Gohan's proposal gives you 1 player for 2 years for a total of $3.2 mil (Cheechoo's buyout of $1 mil [x2] plus Z. Smith's salary of $600K [x2]). Your proposal gives you 1 player for 1 year for $3 mil (Cheechoo). To keep things honest, you're going to have to add in $600K (assuming Z. Smith's salary) for another body in that second year, which means that Gohan's suggestion actually saves the team $400K in real money as well as $1.4 mil in cap space for 2010-11, and only costs you $400K in cap space in 2011-12.

If things keep going as they are for Cheechoo, I would not at all be surprised to see him bought out.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Not necessarily, Dr. P. We are carrying a 23-man roster (two injured and one in the press-box). Cheechoo can be replaced by the bench-warmer.

Gohan wrote:The bigger question Imo is whether Murray decides to re-sign Volchenkov, trade Kuba, both, or neither? I get the feeling Murray likes Kuba (and we know he likes the players he's drafted or coached in the past)...

Diddle. Does that mean we are stuck with him?

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

He may have signed him, but he also made sure his NTC is only for the first year of the contract. He was probably making room for the possibility of Karlsson and Kuba (and possibly Wiercioch) on the roster, while trying to re-sign a bunch of RFAs.

So, no, I don't think we are necessarily stuck with him.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

rooneypoo wrote:
Gohan's proposal gives you 1 player for 2 years for a total of $3.2 mil (Cheechoo's buyout of $1 mil [x2] plus Z. Smith's salary of $600K [x2]). Your proposal gives you 1 player for 1 year for $3 mil (Cheechoo). To keep things honest, you're going to have to add in $600K (assuming Z. Smith's salary) for another body in that second year, which means that Gohan's suggestion actually saves the team $400K in real money as well as $1.4 mil in cap space for 2010-11, and only costs you $400K in cap space in 2011-12.

If things keep going as they are for Cheechoo, I would not at all be surprised to see him bought out.

Watching him play live in the 100s is even worse. There's simply no chance he's NHL caliber anymore, it's quite sad. Even when Cheechoo catches a beautiful pass and nails the goalie in the crest I feel excited, because he did something offensive, and that's so bad. If it's energy and hard work we want, sign someone for 600K or bring up Bass, Smith, St.Pierre, Keller, whatever.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Think of this:

Cheechoo - 3 million
Kovalev - 5 million
Kelly - 2.2 million
Kuba - 3.7 million

That's 14 million dollars that could be much better used in two years, so...yeah, there's a lot to clean up.

PS - Kelly's been playing MUCH better lately. I'm growing to like him again.

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Kelly's easy to like. He was given the first star for scoring a goal the other night. RFAs/UFAs/Rookies -- what will the Sens look like next year? - Page 3 270956

I thought Regin was much better but what do I know?

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

SeawaySensFan wrote:Kelly's easy to like. He was given the first star for scoring a goal the other night. RFAs/UFAs/Rookies -- what will the Sens look like next year? - Page 3 270956

I thought Regin was much better but what do I know?

Regin will be better than Kelly IMHO. He's got the two-way play plus offense and he'll put it all together. I'm 90% confident about that now, he's shifty, smart on the ice and he's starting to get that killer instinct in the offensive zone.

Sometime I'd like to see a Michalek - Regin - Alfredsson line once and for all. Talk about a hybrid shutdown/scoring line with speed and skills to burn.

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

I'd be pretty disappointed if Murray didn't try to pick up Z. Michalek.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 4]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum