GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

RFAs/UFAs/Rookies -- what will the Sens look like next year?

+7
PKC
ddt
Flo The Action
Riprock
The Montagoose
wprager
11 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 4]

Flo The Action

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

111519 wrote:My opinion:

If we could trade Kuba for a pick, trade/waive cheechoo.

AUTO-GENERATED CAPGEEK.COM LINES
FORWARDS
Jason Spezza ($7.000m) / Alexei Kovalev ($5.000m) / Daniel Alfredsson ($4.875m)
Milan Michalek ($4.333m) / Mike Fisher ($4.200m) / * Matthew Lombardi ($3.000m)
Chris Kelly ($2.125m) / Chris Neil ($2.000m) / Jarkko Ruutu ($1.300m)
* Nick Foligno ($1.250m) / * Peter Regin ($1.250m) / * Jesse Winchester ($0.900m)
DEFENSEMEN
* Anton Volchenkov ($4.000m) / Chris Phillips ($3.500m)
* Stephan Robidas ($2.500m) / Erik Karlsson ($1.300m)
Matt Carkner ($0.700m) / * Jared Cowen ($0.600m)
GOALTENDERS
Pascal Leclaire ($3.800m) / Brian Elliott ($0.850m)
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS
ROSTER: 20; PAYROLL: $55.746m; CAP ROOM: $1.479m BONUSES: $0.425m

stephen robidas is signed by the stars for the next 4 years after this one for over 3mill... and that's a good price. so nice wishful thinking

111519 wrote:My opinion:

If we could trade Kuba for a pick, trade/waive cheechoo.

AUTO-GENERATED CAPGEEK.COM LINES
FORWARDS
Jason Spezza ($7.000m) / Alexei Kovalev ($5.000m) / Daniel Alfredsson ($4.875m)
Milan Michalek ($4.333m) / Mike Fisher ($4.200m) / * Matthew Lombardi ($3.000m)
Chris Kelly ($2.125m) / Chris Neil ($2.000m) / Jarkko Ruutu ($1.300m)
* Nick Foligno ($1.250m) / * Peter Regin ($1.250m) / * Jesse Winchester ($0.900m)
DEFENSEMEN
* Anton Volchenkov ($4.000m) / Chris Phillips ($3.500m)
* Stephan Robidas ($2.500m) / Erik Karlsson ($1.300m)
Matt Carkner ($0.700m) / * Jared Cowen ($0.600m)
GOALTENDERS
Pascal Leclaire ($3.800m) / Brian Elliott ($0.850m)
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS
ROSTER: 20; PAYROLL: $55.746m; CAP ROOM: $1.479m BONUSES: $0.425m
Not bad. But...
No one is going to take Cheechoo off our hands, it's a buyout or keep him.

Lombardi is not a top 6 forward.

Your numbers for Regin and Winchester are rather high, I would think around 1M for Regin and 800K for Winchester.

I don't believe Cowen will be ready next year, and even if he is we have no depth at the position without Campoli and Picard.

Somebody will pay Robidas more than 2.5M as a UFA.

Robidas has already re-signed with Dallas.

And I'm pretty sure that Cowen, as a 1st round pick, will cost significantly more than .600K...

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

we might be able to package picard or campoli with our 1st rounder to move up in the draft... maybe?

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Gohan wrote:And I'm pretty sure that Cowen, as a 1st round pick, will cost significantly more than .600K...
more like 1.5 i would think. don't they have certain guidelines they have to follow for top picks?

Gohan wrote:
As for Kuba, if we don't trade him and buy out Cheechoo, I'm going to be pissed.

And I really don't want to see Cowen here next year.
I am with you on Kuba and Cowen. I disagree on Cheechoo. Unless we need the cap space, I would rather "take our medicine" for one year and be done with him.

Flo The Action wrote:
Gohan wrote:And I'm pretty sure that Cowen, as a 1st round pick, will cost significantly more than .600K...
more like 1.5 i would think. don't they have certain guidelines they have to follow for top picks?

As a rookie, his base salary can be a max of 850k. Bonuses however, can raise that amount to 3.725 million. That's why you see players that are rookies with a cap hit that high.

RobbyJ wrote:
Gohan wrote:
As for Kuba, if we don't trade him and buy out Cheechoo, I'm going to be pissed.

I am with you on Kuba and Cowen. I disagree on Cheechoo. Unless we need the cap space, I would rather "take our medicine" for one year and be done with him.

Co-sign. I find it really hard to talk Dung about Cheechoo. He works his Donkey off and shoots the puck alot. He's also been the victim of a few ridiculous saves and a ton of posts. He could easily have double the amount of goals he's got right now. He's so snakebitten it's unreal.

hemlock wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:

As a rookie, his base salary can be a max of 850k. Bonuses however, can raise that amount to 3.725 million. That's why you see players that are rookies with a cap hit that high.
The 9th pick in 2008 was Josh Bailey of the Islanders. His cap hit is 1.725M, so Cowen's will be similar.

The Montagoose

Prospect
Prospect

wprager wrote:
The Montagoose wrote:My guess would be that Campoli lands in Carolina for a round pick

A "round" pick? A '1' is not round, so did you mean a '2' (with that half-loop at the top)?

jk

Yup maybe but cant see getting a 1st for him.

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

Yes, nobody denies Cheechoo's work ethic, but the glaring negative is the $3M price tag he carries. You really wanna pay $3M for a 3rd/4th line checker? Maybe he is capable or more, but not in Ottawa or Clouston's system for that matter.

Some of that $3M could got to re-signing Volchenkov and filling Cheechoo's spot with Smith or someone else.

Only way I see Cheechoo not on the Sens next year is if he is sent to the minors, bought-out, or traded/claimed by a team that is doing us a favour and we have to send them a pick/prospect, or they need to get to the cap floor.

PKC

PKC
All-Star
All-Star

Dash wrote:Yes, nobody denies Cheechoo's work ethic, but the glaring negative is the $3M price tag he carries. You really wanna pay $3M for a 3rd/4th line checker? Maybe he is capable or more, but not in Ottawa or Clouston's system for that matter.

Some of that $3M could got to re-signing Volchenkov and filling Cheechoo's spot with Smith or someone else.

Only way I see Cheechoo not on the Sens next year is if he is sent to the minors, bought-out, or traded/claimed by a team that is doing us a favour and we have to send them a pick/prospect, or they need to get to the cap floor.

I'd be willing to tough it out for the guy. Sure $3 million is a hefty burden in a salary capped NHL, but the guy gives 100% effort every night and is working his Donkey off out there to get on the score sheet.

He was also the price to get Milan Michalek, who despite his 16 goals is still having a sub-par season so far.

It will all work out eventually. That move was made for two years from now when Michalek is just about to enter his prime and Cheechoo's money comes off the books.

RobbyJ wrote:
Gohan wrote:

There's an argument to be made for keeping him here, and you can't fault his work ethic, but there's also the opportunity cost of keeping a younger player out of the NHL for another year. I don't know if it's worth it, just to save 1M on the 2011-12 cap...

PKC

PKC
All-Star
All-Star

Gohan wrote:
RobbyJ wrote:
Gohan wrote:

There's an argument to be made for keeping him here, and you can't fault his work ethic, but there's also the opportunity cost of keeping a younger player out of the NHL for another year. I don't know if it's worth it, just to save 1M on the 2011-12 cap...

I don't really see the Senators with any prospects that deserve a spot over Cheechoo right now.

Zach Smith is redundant for now, Cody Bass is obviously superfluous, Silfverberg, Petersson and Caporousso are years away as far as I know.

Would it be nice to move Cheechoo and not take any salary back? Diddle yeah. Is it gonna happen? Diddle no. That's just reality. So we make the best of it and hope that he has a sick second half to the season.

Smith would add as much to the on-ice product as Cheechoo, and at 1/5 the cost.

I think you guys are fooling yourselves if you think he isn't getting bought out as soon as it's possible.

PKC

PKC
All-Star
All-Star

Gohan wrote:Smith would add as much to the on-ice product as Cheechoo, and at 1/5 the cost.

I think you guys are fooling yourselves if you think he isn't getting bought out as soon as it's possible.

I think you're fooling yourself if you think the Senators are just going to continue to buy out players annually.

There is no imperative reason to buy out Cheechoo for the sake of adding Zach Smith. Absolutely none.

Well, they didn't buy out anyone last season, so I guess that's that...

And the reasons for buying out Cheechoo would be a combination of a) freeing up cap space, b) freeing up a roster spot, and c) filling that spot through either a younger lateral move or an upgrade.

Each reason is valid in itself; combine them and you've got one inevitable buyout.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 4]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum